All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo to chachazz

to chachazz

Re: [Free] FIPS 140-2 Security Free!

Personally, I'd rather use TrueCrypt than have java installed on a Windows system. (I find your use of a "secure" link... interesting. )
MrFixit1
join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

MrFixit1

The interesting question is why everything on this site is available as secure except the home page of each forum .
Anybody have any idea why that is ?
Using the HTTPS Everywhere extension for FF has been educational .

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro to NoHereNoMo

to NoHereNoMo
One advantage(?) I might see in using one over the other might be the "branding". Let's say you're a business that routinely transmits HIPPA or other health related data and the auditors show up to make sure you're in compliance in protecting the data while in transit (and at rest also). Which one do you think most non-tech saavy folks would be more convincing as showing you've done your due diligence?
For the personal user, with it's purported transparency during use, TrueCrypt would appear to be a good choice.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

Perhaps. Whether it involves HIPAA or not though, I would think that securing files on a system for personal use--with concerns about said system being lost or stolen--and securing them for transmission between systems for organizational purposes involves some different considerations. I can't really speak to the latter, but I've been using TrueCrypt for the former for some years now. And while I feel comfortable enough using java on Linux or unix systems, I won't even install it on Windows systems.