how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mangix

join:2012-02-16
united state

Wiring tips

Because I just love to mess around with my phone line, I managed to get my bitloading looking like this:

»dl.dropbox.com/u/102011983/Bitlo···2-09.png

but after tweaking it just a little bit i got this:

»dl.dropbox.com/u/102011983/Bitlo···9-59.png

I have absolutely no idea how I caused that.

In the first picture, I had the two wires somewhat twisted together but in the second, I twisted them even further like so:

»dl.dropbox.com/u/102011983/Photo0043.jpg

my crimping job looked just fine and at this point I am just baffled. I mean this is supposed to be twisted-pair, right?

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
Click for full size
Your bitloading looks a little weak, here's mine. I don't know about wiring though so I cannot help you .

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

4 edits
reply to Mangix
It is highly doubtful it was the twisting at that point in your wall as it is not a noisy environment.

Most of your bit loading killing noise comes from the cross box.

ATT uses cheap cat3 in the crossbox. I have swapped many cat3 for cat5 jumpers and seen DRAMATIC improvements in bit loading.

I generally only use them in problem IPDSLAM with long loop lenghs. I have seen max attainable rates double.

No joke. I have purchased the cat5 jumper myself, and if ATT found out that I used them I would probably be fired.

ATT plant is cat3 sure, but they need extra noise protection in the VRAD/crossbox/apartment terminal as I have obviously found out.

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to Mangix
If you had inside wire issues your bit loading would have big holes in the low frequencies. The reason your bit loading looks like it does is because of the facilities before your NID and the fact that your on what appears to be the 13M self install profile, or the distance restrained 25M profile.
In short, no amount of mucking between the modem and the NID is going to make that line better.

Mangix

united state
reply to DataRiker
I think you're right about the crossbox being the issue. I just unplugged and plugged the modem back in and got this:

»dl.dropbox.com/u/102011983/Bitlo···2-02.png

that's some interference there. stats also went down slightly.

but w/e. internet is working just fine. can't complain about a non-issue.

i'll stop messing with the line. it's fine.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
said by Mangix:

I think you're right about the crossbox being the issue. I just unplugged and plugged the modem back in and got this:

»dl.dropbox.com/u/102011983/Bitlo···2-02.png

that's some interference there. stats also went down slightly.

but w/e. internet is working just fine. can't complain about a non-issue.

i'll stop messing with the line. it's fine.

Don't fix what's not broken .

DataRiker
Premium

1 edit
reply to Mangix
Interesting. I wish I could work on that line, just to see what happens.

go blue

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Darknessfall
Being challenged when it comes to electronics and a newbie to Uverse I downloaded the UV program but it is all very confusing. Could you explain what your screenshot is showing and what should I be aware of?

DataRiker
Premium

1 edit
Bandwidth, or your potential for "speed", is measured by how much useable frequency your line has and how many bits can be sent per chunk of frequency.

So the higher and the longer the graph the better.

Just look for your "Max Bit Rate" as that is the area under the curve if you don't like the graph

go blue

@sbcglobal.net
Click for full size
So is this good?

DataRiker
Premium
Yes, it looks good.

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
kudos:1
reply to Mangix
Your bitloading graph looks fine. Just monitor your error table for uncorrected blocks. If you don't get many, then you've got no worries.

Mangix

united state
funny that you mention that. when I had the bitloading filled at the higher end like the first pic, i'd have a couple of errors now and then but now with the higher frequencies not utilized, i've so far gotten 0 errors. it's been 2 days i think.

DataRiker
Premium
A few errors is perfectly normal for VDSL.