spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

roommie

@cox.net
reply to kherr

Re: How should I divide 50 GB Internet Quota Among Roommates?

It's $50 or so a month.

I told them I would share mine, so I want to let them have some.
I just want to block the ridiculous downloading, etc. they do.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
You make a personal decision and then you expect everyone else to tell you how to manage the decision you made. You probably had something in mind when you made the decision so go by your initial decision. If they don't like it too bad, your paying for the service. If they want more than you offered then let them purchase their own service.

roomie

@cox.net
I'm asking for advice on how to calculate and divide 3mbps.

250 kbps per device?
500 kbps per device?

None of the calculators I've foudn are useful in telling me what max speed I need to keep in order to use only 50 GB per month total.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
said by roomie :

None of the calculators I've foudn are useful in telling me what max speed I need to keep in order to use only 50 GB per month total.

That is a simple calculation.

First convert 50 GB (gigabytes) into 50 gb (gigabits) multiply by 8
You have 400 gb (400,000,000,000) to use per month.

Connect speed is specified in bits per second so you need to determine how many seconds are in a month: 30d x 24h x 60m x 60s
Assuming a 30 day month there are a 2,592,000 seconds per month. If you want to be more conservative use 31 days for a month.

Dividing your cap by seconds per month yields 154.3 kbps.

That is the total for the connection, you then need to figure out how to divide it up among all the users.

50 GB sounds like a lot but not when you think about it on a sustained basis like streaming or game play.

/tom

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO

1 edit

1 recommendation

I don’t think you want to limit your connection to ~150Kbps—that’s the speed I had 20 years ago—and, if you have three users, that’s 50Kbps per user, which is akin to a dialup line. That said, in my opinion, you should prioritize your traffic over all else and simply set a limit for your roommates collectively. For example, tell them they all have 25GB per month and shut off their access after that. If you can setup a simple site that displays their collective usage in near real time, you can let them attempt to manage the usage amongst themselves. If you can go one step further and have the site reflect usage per roommate, you’ll prevent them from finger pointing when they eventually hit the 25GB limit.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

That is a simple calculation.

First convert 50 GB (gigabytes) into 50 gb (gigabits) multiply by 8
You have 400 gb (400,000,000,000) to use per month.

Connect speed is specified in bits per second so you need to determine how many seconds are in a month: 30d x 24h x 60m x 60s
Assuming a 30 day month there are a 2,592,000 seconds per month. If you want to be more conservative use 31 days for a month.

Dividing your cap by seconds per month yields 154.3 kbps.

You can do all that, or you can just google "50 gigabytes / 1 month in kilobits per second" and get approximately the same result.