spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wolfi

join:2004-08-31

Google and Internet Explorer 8 and 9

Since yesterday I have a problem with the Google web search and the Internet Explorer 8,9. I type in a query into the Google search box and hit "Enter" , nothing happens. The page just stays white. The image search works perfectly. In other browsers it works fine and my system is up to date and free of malware. It seems Google has changed somewhat.Cookies I already deleted and the Internet Explorer 8,9 already reset.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
Click for full size
No change here with IE8 Windows XP SP3?

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to wolfi

The last few days i have seen ALOT OF PEOPLE saying they are experiencing this on google.. Im not sure why its happening,wheather its cookie refusal or what....

wolfi

reply to wolfi

Re: Google and Internet Explorer 8 and 9

I've found the exact cause, at least in IE8 and IE9 . At Internet Options / Advanced "enable DOM storage" the checkmark must be set, otherwise Google will not work.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to wolfi

Why the hell does google want to store stuff in DOM??

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to wolfi

I tested this using IE9 x64 on Windows 7 x64 Enterprise.

If you have the box "Enable DOM Storage" checked, google works fine. Uncheck the box, and google does not work.

However, I do want to point out that by default, the setting on that specific item is to be checked.

So, the question I have is, what was your reasoning or logic behind unchecking it?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4
reply to wolfi
By the way, Google already dropped. support for IE8. »www.computerworld.com/s/article/···_Nov._15

Probably not related, but you may see more issues as time goes on.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
reply to wolfi
Google are total morons, they just neutered Youtube for the 5th time too.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to wolfi

I wonder if you DISABLE SCRIPTS if you can then have DOM STORAGE disabled and it will work....

About youtube: LOOKS WORSE AND WORSE NOT SURPRISING EVERYTIME THEY SO CALL "UPDATE" IT... Sad

wolfi

reply to wolfi

Do you have any idea why Google wants to have DOM Storage?
Other search engines do not require DOM Storage.
Privacy advocates recommend disabling DOM Storage.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

So, the question I have is, what was your reasoning or logic behind unchecking it?

First and most important reason (for those who cares) is security. Read, for example, this article, that mentions some of those. In plain English, it's a data storage on client's side, that allows to store much more data compared to plain cookies...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
said by OZO:

First and most important reason (for those who cares) is security. Read, for example, this article, that mentions some of those. In plain English, it's a data storage on client's side, that allows to store much more data compared to plain cookies...

Thanks OZO See Profile for that article. I don't use IE much anymore, so I have not kept up on all the options and what they all do.

All I knew about it is that it is enabled by default, so if someone did disable it, there was probably a valid reason for it. I did not know what that was, which is why I asked.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to wolfi

Google's whole purpose in life is to gather as much data about you and your habits as possible.. I am guessing this helps them with that.. Disable and Google's site doesn't properly work for you.

I guess the trade off is to have it enabled or try another search engine.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Google is quite intrusive,no doubt of it........

Has anyone tried DISABLING SCIPTS and then see if you can have DOM STORAGE disabled?? (Most likely WILL work)

NotMe

@charter.com
reply to Matt7

There are a lot of advantages over cookies by using "Web Storage", which hasn't been called DOM Storage in years, including BETTER security. Everyone is going there but, no, Google does not require Web Storage for you to use it.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Then why do people have to allow DOM STORAGE when they go there?

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
reply to wolfi

For what its worth, Google works fine for me with DOM disabled using IE 9 on Windows 7.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Do you have SCRIPTS DISABLED also Bill?