dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Simple BWM questions

On the BWM policy edit screen, the policy entry has a 'maximize' bandwidth check box, and a 'maximum' box for you to put a value in.

What does this 'maximum' value do? Is this the maximum this policy will allot, or does the policy allot 1/2 the maximum? The manual is confusing on this point.

Also, maximum bandwidth is set on the WAN interface. Who is looking at that value? How does that relate to the maximum values set here?

Hopefully these are simple questions
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
From the built-in help

quote:
Maximize Bandwidth Usage
Maximize bandwidth usage allows applications with maximize bandwidth usage enabled to “borrow” any unused bandwidth on the out-going interface.
After each application gets its configured bandwidth rate, the ZyWALL uses the fairness- based scheduler to divide any unused bandwidth on the out-going interface amongst applications that need more bandwidth and have maximize bandwidth usage enabled.
Unused bandwidth is divided equally. Higher priority traffic does not get a larger portion of the unused bandwidth.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
Burlington, ON
reply to dnoyeB
For WAN interface first ensure you have correct Egress Bandwidth setup (otherwise BWM won't work correctly). Ingress is reserved for future use and doesn't work yet.

...again, it's all in built-in help

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dnoyeB
Actually, the 'maximum' field was conveniently not explained in the manual.

I have 3 maximum bandwidth numbers here and I can't tell exactly what each is used for.

1. Egress bandwidth set on WAN interface.
2. Policy 'inbound' maximum bandwidth.
3. Policy 'outbound' maximum bandwidth.

Note: this is not the guaranteed bandwidth field, its another field off to the right.

Also, why should there be different maximum bandwidth for each policy? Is this an 'upto' limit for the given policy!?
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
said by dnoyeB:

1. Egress bandwidth set on WAN interface.

quote:
Egress Bandwidth
Enter the maximum amount of traffic, in kilobits per second, the ZyWALL can send through the interface to the network. Allowed values are 0 - 1048576.

said by dnoyeB:

2. Policy 'inbound' maximum bandwidth.
3. Policy 'outbound' maximum bandwidth.
Also, why should there be different maximum bandwidth for each policy? Is this an 'upto' limit for the given policy!?

quote:
Maximum Bandwidth
Specify the maximum bandwidth (from 1 to 1048576) allowed for the route in kbps. If you enter 0 here, there is no bandwidth limitation for the route.
If the sum of the bandwidths for routes using the same next hop is higher than the actual transmission speed, lower priority traffic may not be sent if higher priority traffic uses all of the actual bandwidth.
To reserve bandwidth for traffic that does not match any of the policy routes, leave some of the interface’s bandwidth unbudgeted and do not enable Maximize Bandwidth Usage.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
reply to dnoyeB
I'm using an outdated version of the manual...

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
Burlington, ON
I'm quoting the built-in help, not a pdf manual.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by Brano:

I'm quoting the built-in help, not a pdf manual.

said by Brano:

For WAN interface first ensure you have correct Egress Bandwidth setup (otherwise BWM won't work correctly). Ingress is reserved for future use and doesn't work yet.

...again, it's all in built-in help

said by Brano:

From the built-in help

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maximize Bandwidth Usage

You must be tired of repeating yourself.
Sometimes you have to say it a little slower.............

B.........u................i.............l............t-----------------------i..................n-------------------------------------------------h..................e.................l.............p

That should do it.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dnoyeB
That definition is for policy routes not BWM. I am working in the bandwidth management screens. Neither the manual, nor the online help gives a definition of 'maximum bandwidth' as used by the BWM screens.

I've never used the build in help before. I'll try to do that now as I shouldn't have to worry about manual versions anymore.
--
dnoyeB