All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Seems_t
join:2012-05-03

Seems_t

Can I combine accounts?

My wife, son, and myself are on a share everything plan. Pepco installed a new electric meter yesterday, and when they restarted the power it apparently fried my phone, which was plugged in at the time. I'm not due for an upgrade until late next year and don't have a warranty. Best Buy is apparently about to offer a free Razr Maxx HD with new account activations, but is it then possible to transfer the new account over to our existing share everything plan?

Thanks in advance!
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar

The only way I am aware of that this would work is to add a line to your existing account which allows you to get a subsidized price on the phone and then pay for it till your contract runs out and cancel your old line at that time but that has 2 problems, one is that your number is going to change and 2, I assume by it being a year before you can upgrade that means you have 18 months left on your contract which means you will pay $720 extra for that extra line which means it would be cheaper to cancel the line you have now and pay the early termination fee and then add a new line or just buy the phone you want at full price. My advice would be to buy another phone you like on EBay. You can get some decent deals there is you watch the seller ratings and feedbacks to be sure you are buying from a reputable seller. In the end though, it is all going to be up to but either way, as far as I am aware, you are not going to be able to start a new account and combine it with the one you have now.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Seems_t

MVM

to Seems_t
You can't "merge" accounts, which is what you're wanting to do. That new phone is tied to a new account and you'd have to break the contract with Best Buy, which will come with ETFs.

You could potentially get the new account at BB then move your wife and son's phones to that account. zeddlar points out the issue with phone numbers (though I wonder if that can be handled).
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine to Seems_t

Premium Member

to Seems_t
said by Seems_t:

My wife, son, and myself are on a share everything plan. Pepco installed a new electric meter yesterday, and when they restarted the power it apparently fried my phone, which was plugged in at the time. I'm not due for an upgrade until late next year and don't have a warranty. Best Buy is apparently about to offer a free Razr Maxx HD with new account activations, but is it then possible to transfer the new account over to our existing share everything plan?

Thanks in advance!

Any of your lines eligible for an upgrade? Doesnt have to be your line. You can use the wifeys or sons upgrade to upgrade yours. they lose thier upgrade is all (and if you wanted to be nice, they could use your upgrade when your line comes up for one)

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to Seems_t

Premium Member

to Seems_t
Did you try calling Pepco and filing a claim?
Seems_t
join:2012-05-03

Seems_t

Unfortunately, neither my wife nor my son are due for an upgrade either, so using their upgrade isn't an option.

Yes, I'm in the middle of Pepco's claim process. Unfortunately, the phone only cost me 1 cent, as I obtained it with my 2-year upgrade during a sale on Amazon Wireless. But since I'm not yet due for another upgrade, it will cost me much more to replace it. Will be interesting to see how this plays out!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

1 edit

pende_tim to Seems_t

Premium Member

to Seems_t
Amazon may not have a warranty, but the phone should have a one year . Try taking it to the carrier's Service center for repair.

Did you try a different charger?

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Seems_t

MVM

to Seems_t
said by Seems_t:

Unfortunately, the phone only cost me 1 cent, as I obtained it with my 2-year upgrade during a sale on Amazon Wireless.

Hmmm, I wonder how that would work in this scenario... Presume they're liable and admit fault. Many places say "show us a receipt" so they can reimburse you what you paid for it. It's NOT always what it costs to replace !
Technicholas
Premium Member
join:2010-11-11
West Des Moines, IA

Technicholas to Seems_t

Premium Member

to Seems_t
Can your wife or son upgrade? you can do a upgrade swap. Try looking on eBay for a phone if you cannot get a upgrade make sure you look for clean ESN.