spc
uniqs
voip_wire
join:2010-07-02

voip_wire to Arne Bolen

to Arne Bolen

Re: [General] Google voice going paid?

said by Arne Bolen:

Five years ago you could have 100 mail accounts on the free edition of Google Apps. During the years Google slowly lowered that number and earlier this year it was limited to 10 free mail accounts.

The 10 users limit is probably in place a bit longer - I started using them in 2011 and 10 users limit was already in place.
said by Arne Bolen:

Google Apps and Google Voice are totally different parts of Google and it's likely Google Voice will continue the current free service at least a few more years.

+1
I would like to add though that this change portends North American calls with Google Voice will not remain free forever.

cheers,
-m

Arne Bolen
User of Anveo Direct, 3CX and Qubes OS.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

Arne Bolen

Premium Member

said by voip_wire:

The 10 users limit is probably in place a bit longer - I started using them in 2011 and 10 users limit was already in place.

You are right, the limit was changed to 10 users last year.
said by voip_wire:

I would like to add though that this change portends North American calls with Google Voice will not remain free forever.

Google needs to decide what to do with Google Voice. Currently the service doesn't create any revenue for Google except for outgoing calls outside of North America.
cell14
join:2012-01-04
Miami Beach, FL

1 recommendation

cell14 to voip_wire

to voip_wire
These speculations pop up at every year's end. The fact is that nobody knows what will happen and Google can change their policy at any time, not just as of Jan 01. Google could also make outgoing calls through devices like Obi impossible at any time. Currently, only a relatively small number of people use GV for outgoing calls and the costs of operation are probably minimal.
I think that free GV is more of a problem for other VOIP carriers than for Google itself. I have been using GV for outgoing calls via Obi for the last 13 months and I am pleasantly surprised about the quality and consistency of the connections, quite frankly as good or even better than from some SIP providers, let alone junk like Magic Jack or Nettalk. I bet a lot of VOIP execs are praying daily for Google pulling the plug.
sokhapkin
Premium Member
join:2003-05-08
North Fort Myers, FL

1 recommendation

sokhapkin

Premium Member

said by cell14:

I bet a lot of VOIP execs are praying daily for Google pulling the plug.

Well said