Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to fartness

MVM

to fartness

Re: Youtube videos are slow

Youtube, as with most other streaming media, is delivered over a content distribution network (CDN). This keeps the bulk of streaming traffic off the regular Internet and utilizes a preferred connection arrangements to the ISP's internal network. It is ultimately up to your ISP to decide if they want to utilize these preferred private arrangements.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co ··· _network

Here is a study a while back about YouTube
»www.itc23.com/fileadmin/ ··· s/a5.pdf

Are you using the DNS servers provided by your ISP or running third party DNS? If you are running third party DNS try switching to your ISP's DNS. Third party DNS is not aware of any special arraignments your ISP has (if any) with a particular CDN. They will resolve a valid IP to obtain the data but it may be delivered over a slower or more congested path then if you use your ISP's DNS.

Or it may be the case the videos you are streaming are on servers that are heavily loaded. Or it may be the peering arrangement your ISP is using happens to be congested on the route used to access the particular youtube servers.

/tom

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

Great document...nice find.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to tschmidt

to tschmidt
That probably explains it with the DNS servers. I use Google's, since my ISP's DNS servers are garbage. I'll try switching back temporarily and seeing if it makes a difference.