how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

qew204

join:2012-11-18
Lancaster, PA

[Connectivity] Using Motorola SB5101U with Performance Tier

Hello Everyone, I am fairly new here but I was wondering if using the SB5101U with Comcast's Performance Tier would give the advertised speed of 15Mbps. Or would the speed suffer because it is an older Modem. I will not be upgrading to any higher Tiers in the foreseeable future. If I would be upgrading then I would get a newer modem when that time came.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
If the modem is functioning efficiently, signal levels are
at acceptable levels & all cabling/splitters, etc are good, you should have no issues seeing 15 Mbps on the Performance tier with that modem.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to qew204
It might (is that a USB only model? not recommended) but jlivingood See Profile has already said people should be getting themselves/shopping for D3 modems RIGHT NOW, as older ones will no longer provide full speeds (except maybe the economy tier) VERY SOON.
Once it reachs that point it is CC's interest to go all D3 and remove/bar lesser modems from the network for management and plant efficientcy reasons.
So you could MAYBE get full speed today, but might need to upgrade or rent within the next year or so OR accept lower speeds then you pay for at your own expense.

qew204

Lancaster, PA
reply to qew204
Well I don't think Comcast will be upgrading, if they were to, their Performance tier any higher than 30 Mbps in my area. Which the modem could still do according to its specs.

Thanks for the help though.

qew204

Lancaster, PA
reply to qew204
I was also wondering if it supported IPv6, on Amazon's website it says "IPv6 Ready"

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
Please review: »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

The SB5101U isn't supported for IPv6 & also it does have an Ethernet port.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to qew204
Like Tshirt has said, don't buy a D2 modem. You want to buy a D3 modem.The cheapest D3 8x4 modems are the DPC3008 and the Zoom 5341j.

The 5341J(Remember the J) is about $80 and the DPC3008 is $69.99 at the time of this posting.

DPC3008:
»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006IJ···&seller=
5341J:
»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063K···&seller=

The firmware on the DPC3008 seems to have fixed it's issues. I'm on a Cisco CMTS with this modem that I got a couple days ago and it hasn't dropped once. It just still has poor logs .

qew204

Lancaster, PA
reply to qew204
Just wanted to update, I did end up buying the SB5101 and finally got Comcast installed. I have been seeing speeds between 19-25 Mbps with this modem. Since I will not be upgrading my service anytime soon, I think the modem should do fine.

Thanks to everyone who helped.