dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

[Held post] Is this a bug? or by design?

I posted a reply which was automatically held by the system (new member, offsite link, whatever the reason). When it was approved/released by a mod, it had the then current date/time instead of the actual posting date/time (something short of 12 hours earlier). It seems like a bug to me that the "original" post date/time wasn't preserved. Shouldn't it be?

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

I don't think it's a bug; I think it's intentional.

If the post retains the date/time it was made, it appears it appears in the topic after later posts have been made.

If the post acquires the date/time it appeared, times of posts in the topic are chronological.

I'm not agreeing with or taking issue with your opinion, just explaining that the latter was chosen. At least that's my understanding.
NoHereNoMo

1 edit

NoHereNoMo

It seems strange to me because of having seen (frequently) those little icons with the "Your moderator at work" text (or something similar). At least some of those have appeared to be placeholders for some questionable posts that were later approved (though my impression could be wrong--I'm pretty sure some/most of them are for comments moderated after being posted). Well, as it is, it almost seems like "punishment" (sorry--can't think of a better, less harsh word right now) for being a new member who had the audacity to post a reply--in the early morning hours when, apparently, there weren't any mods around to check the queue--in the Software forum with a link to a well-known software site. (Maybe a white-list for such acceptable sites would be useful?)

How long before my "probation" ends?

Anyway, thanks. I guess weekends are kind of slow around here.

Edit: Also of interest, I get the "blue arrow" for my own post once it gets approved (which I don't seem to get under "normal" circumstances--not that I recall getting anyway).

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

1 recommendation

state

Mod

said by NoHereNoMo:

Iit almost seems like "punishment" (sorry--can't think of a better, less harsh word right now) for being a new member who had the audacity to post a reply--in the early morning hours

There are many necessary, yet not publicly discussed site mechanisms that have very specific functions and purposes running on the site. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's a necessary evil.
said by NoHereNoMo:

How long before my "probation" ends?

You're actually on double-secret-probation right now, soon you'll graduate to simple-probation.
state

state to NoHereNoMo

Mod

to NoHereNoMo
said by NoHereNoMo:

Edit: Also of interest, I get the "blue arrow" for my own post once it gets approved (which I don't seem to get under "normal" circumstances--not that I recall getting anyway).

That's a byproduct of the afore mentioned holding system.
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo to state

to state
Yeah, being a moderator on another site forum (a small, piddly place), I'm aware of the necessity. (I think my tongue-in-cheek above wasn't obvious enough though. )

Thanks.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth

Anon

I know what you mean. When a post shows up later than intended in a thread, sometimes you look like that guy who replied way after the fact, or appear to be correcting someone whose post ends up appearing above yours, and/or the dufus who didn't read the remaining thread which in actuality your post was before. Then there's usually one joker who will point any of these out to you too.

I get why the site needs to handle posts like this, so that's not a problem, but the appearance and date/time discrepancy has those unintended effects too.

My sometimes solution is that I put the date/time in my post if I believe it's going to matter to the context of the thread knowing there might be a delay (especially nights/weekends when mods have a life otherwise).

-Jim
2012-12-09 09:39:21
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo to state

to state
said by state:

You're actually on double-secret-probation right now, soon you'll graduate to simple-probation.

Well, I've "leveled up" now... does that mean I've attained "simple"?

You should turn site usage/visitation into a game--every nth "caller" gets a tool point or something... throw some spice into it.

"DSLR - The Game"
Expand your moderator at work