Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Why is Apple stock sinking like a stone?

Apple is still selling iDevices like crazy, but competition is getting stronger and people suspect a post-Jobs Apple is losing its innovative mojo. Over the last 2 months their stock has dropped 25%. Here is a commentary examining the possible reasons:
»apnews.myway.com//article/201212 ··· JG0.html

Why do you think Apple may be getting dissed by Wall St? And will it recover or will it turn in to another Microsoft? Profitable, but no longer cutting edge?
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
said by FFH5:

Why do you think Apple may be getting dissed by Wall St? And will it recover or will it turn in to another Microsoft? Profitable, but no longer cutting edge?

That's exactly why it is getting trashed. What "novel" things have been introduced since the passing of Steve Jobs? No disrespect meant to Apple but all of its current product offerings are either upgrades (in some cases, significant ones) to existing products or a "me too" offering like the iPad mini.

Apple's umpteenth foray into the TV streaming business itself is also not novel. Others have tried to break into that market as well.

I don't see Apple circling the drain of irrelevance like RIM and Palm did, simply because they make excellent quality hardware, but the magic is definitely gone.
--
USA 2012 - the mooches won.

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

I don't know about Wall Street. However, Apple could very easily go the way of IBM and Microsoft, and faster than them.
What i mean is:
The iPhone came out in 2007, and the iPad 2010.
This is a very short time compared to how long personal computers have been around.
It took decades for computers to become mainstream, it only took those devices a few years to not only become mainstream, but to quickly surpass the user base of the PC.
Those are the devices that made apple so incredibly rich in such a short time.
So apple became really successful in a very short period of time because of those new devices, but those devices will become obsolete much faster than the PC did.
All you have to do is go to any store to see not only how much competition they face with similar products, but how much prices have fallen.
Now, this isn't a huge deal because once these devices become cheaper it just means that many more people can buy it and they can keep their profits up, but the real problem for them is going to be the next Paradigm.
in 10 years we probably won't be carrying around devices that are both too small and to big at the same time like smartphones. (too big in the sense that they are a bit heavy to carry around, and too small in the sense that the screen is tiny compared to what our field of view allows us to see)
In the next decade, people are going to look back and think:
"remember the 2010's? they were terrible, you had to carry those heavy things with tiny screens around to get anything done"

I don't claim to know exactly how the next Paradigm will turn out, but if apple thinks it will keep being as profitable as it is right now by selling tablets and phones for the next decade, i think they are in for a very rude awakening. I think Google is better equipped to deal with the next Paradigm than anyone else as of right now.
The next step is getting rid of the carry-around computers and make the switch to augmented reality everything.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to pnh102

What "novel" things have been introduced since the passing of Steve Jobs?

Retina laptops.

We'll never know for sure, but I think Apple would be in this position with or without Jobs. Bubbles burst, competition catches up. People keep pointing to the passing of Jobs for every mis-step, even though nothing in the Jobs era was perfect. My original iPhone used to crash regularly when browsing pages. The iPhone 3G dropped calls, and many 3GS's had jaundiced screens.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
said by djrobx:

What "novel" things have been introduced since the passing of Steve Jobs?

Retina laptops.

Eh, I don't see this as revolutionary. Pixel density technology has always been improving so I dont' see this as "novel," but rather an update to an existing offering. To Apple's credit however, they did set the standard for insanely high display resolutions for laptops and tablets (even if they may not have been the first to do it).
said by djrobx:

We'll never know for sure, but I think Apple would be in this position with or without Jobs. Bubbles burst, competition catches up. People keep pointing to the passing of Jobs for every mis-step, even though nothing in the Jobs era was perfect. My original iPhone used to crash regularly when browsing pages. The iPhone 3G dropped calls, and many 3GS's had jaundiced screens.

These are just one-off technical glitches that are found in many mass produced consumer goods though. Technological improvements continue to solve these problems.

I'm looking more for a totally "new" thing... like the iPhone itself for example. It certainly wasn't the first smartphone, but it radically changed the way everyone uses smartphones to the point where smartphones are everyday devices now.
--
USA 2012 - the mooches won.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to FFH5
Apple is no longer accelerating forward and their stock is due for the expected correction in its value.

However they have lots of repeat customers now due to people being locked into the iOS ecosystem. Its easy to go from a Samsung to an HTC because Android is cross platform.

However if you want to make sure you still have all your ios apps, you have to stay on Apple.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

xccxcc

join:2010-06-13
reply to pnh102
To Apple's credit however, they did set the standard for insanely high display resolutions

> I believe you mean IBM set the standard with IBM T220/T221

im writing this with the 9503-DG5 model write now