spc
uniqs

not
@comcast.net

not to Link Logger

Anon

to Link Logger

Re: 'Black Box' Data Recorders Required In All New Cars

OBDII+ cars already have snapshot windows of data collection it keeps track of before crashes that can be pulled off the ECU history. Other things like that pretty new OnStar mirror you've got in your car is already tracking your driving habits and can be used against you as well. Heck, if someone was really super inclined to find you guilty of constantly speeding or doing anything else illegal in a car, all they'd have to do is get the GPS data heuristics from your smartphone and you'd be screwed.

Point is, while a ton of people don't like this, it's happening no matter what. Sitting in traffic next to that Google Maps car that's shooting video and pics is breaking your privacy, but you don't see anyone getting out and beating that thing to a pulp, do you? Your WIFI access point has already been mapped out and sitting on Google Maps because you didn't have (NO_MAP) or whatever the opt out SSID append is supposed to be put on it. Wherever you go that there's a camera, you're already logged as being there via that surveillance (even if it's local and not networked). What are you going to do about it? Not buy stuff? Not leave your house? The only think that'll get rid of all this is to put the world back into the dark ages, so unless that's going to happen, learn to deal with it as much as possible until you die.

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

goalieskates

Premium Member

said by not :

Point is, while a ton of people don't like this, it's happening no matter what. ... What are you going to do about it? Not buy stuff? Not leave your house? The only think that'll get rid of all this is to put the world back into the dark ages, so unless that's going to happen, learn to deal with it as much as possible until you die.

I've already said I won't buy.

Resistance is not futile, and it doesn't have to be spectacular. Some people have always resisted when ideas like this get started - they resisted the Nazis, they resisted the Communists. They didn't all blow up bridges like in the movies, either. Eventually these regimes fail.

As for your "dark ages" comment, ponder the idea that some of those dark ages serfs had more actual freedom and led better lives. Shiny isn't automagically good.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

What are you driving today? Doesn't it already have a data recorder?

not
@comcast.net

not to goalieskates

Anon

to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

Resistance is not futile, and it doesn't have to be spectacular. Some people have always resisted when ideas like this get started - they resisted the Nazis, they resisted the Communists. They didn't all blow up bridges like in the movies, either. Eventually these regimes fail.

As for your "dark ages" comment, ponder the idea that some of those dark ages serfs had more actual freedom and led better lives. Shiny isn't automagically good.

It won't work. The number of non-buyers won't outweigh the numbers of buyers and the companies won't fall. So, your "fight the corporate world" won't work. A good example of this is RIM (the Blackberry maker). Look how many people were trying to not buy they products and make a dent in their future. It didn't happen. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that more and more people moved onto Android and most importantly, their larger corporate contracts moved onto iPhones (due to more carriers having the iPhone now) that their company is finally in trouble. Even so, they're still surviving. It takes a really long time to resist and an amazing number of people and most importantly other corporations to fight just one company with deep pockets. Good and luck if you think your 1 man fight will do anything. lol
fenix_jn
join:2006-12-28
Miami, FL

fenix_jn

Also, keep in mind this might become 'standard' for new cars, so it is not like you have the choice of not having it. You could have it removed afterwards but surely the manufacturer would consider this something that would void any kind of warranty offered with the car or even affect insurance rates.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

2 recommendations

Mele20 to not

Premium Member

to not
said by not :

said by goalieskates:

It won't work. The number of non-buyers won't outweigh the numbers of buyers and the companies won't fall. So, your "fight the corporate world" won't work. A good example of this is RIM (the Blackberry maker). Look how many people were trying to not buy they products and make a dent in their future. It didn't happen. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that more and more people moved onto Android and most importantly, their larger corporate contracts moved onto iPhones (due to more carriers having the iPhone now) that their company is finally in trouble. Even so, they're still surviving. It takes a really long time to resist and an amazing number of people and most importantly other corporations to fight just one company with deep pockets. Good and luck if you think your 1 man fight will do anything. lol

You need an essential lesson in how to take back our liberty, our freedom, our privacy. 1+1+1+1 and on and on, little by little, is how it is done in the beginning. Eventually, with a lot of hard work and perseverance, critical mass is achieved. Maybe not in my remaining lifetime but I will still work toward achieving this. If I give up, another working toward reclaiming our nation may give up, and then another and those who might have joined our effort never join because some of us gave up or never even tried. It IS one by one by one and goalieskates See Profile effort does matter. The actions each of us choose are critical to the survival of our republic.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

Yes very nice Mele