share rss forum feed

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
join:2001-11-29
Trenton, NJ
reply to Draiman

Re: [NFL] Who replaces Andy Reid as Eagles head coach at year en

While I do agree college coaches generally are not made for NFL type X and O strats, you labeling Jim Harbaugh a failure is BS.

Man has been coaching for 2 years went to the playoffs twice, NFC championship game last year and was 2 fumbles on special teams away from playing in the SB. Made Alex Smith a pretty damn good QB. I wouldn't label Harbaugh a failure. Also Pete Carroll has gotten his Seahawks better and better with every year and especially this year. Both those colleges coaches have 2 of the best teams in the NFL this year.

FYi - I don't want Chip Kelly as an Eagles HC - I think its dumb to hire him. I want Bruce Arians, or any 49ers Coordinator, or any Seahawks coordinator.
--
"I done wrassled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale, only Last week I murdered a rock, Injured a stone, hospitalized a brick, I'm so mean I make medicine sick!!"-Ali

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
reply to Draiman

I don't think it matters that much.

Most head coaches in the NFL coached at a collegiate level at some point.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

4 edits
reply to FFH

And funny enough look at Dennis Erickson who came from Oregon and failed. It's not hard to think it will happen again with Kelly.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

4 edits
reply to f0rtys3ven

said by f0rtys3ven:

I don't think it matters that much.

Most head coaches in the NFL coached at a collegiate level at some point.

Well DUH! But vast majority learned how to win by advancing up the ranks to head coach in the NFL instead of starting there. When you skip the ranks you skip the experience that follows which leads to failure. Those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

4 edits
reply to Eagles LoveR

said by Eagles LoveR:

While I do agree college coaches generally are not made for NFL type X and O strats, you labeling Jim Harbaugh a failure is BS.

Man has been coaching for 2 years went to the playoffs twice, NFC championship game last year and was 2 fumbles on special teams away from playing in the SB. Made Alex Smith a pretty damn good QB. I wouldn't label Harbaugh a failure. Also Pete Carroll has gotten his Seahawks better and better with every year and especially this year. Both those colleges coaches have 2 of the best teams in the NFL this year.

FYi - I don't want Chip Kelly as an Eagles HC - I think its dumb to hire him. I want Bruce Arians, or any 49ers Coordinator, or any Seahawks coordinator.

He's yet to win when it matters. Time will tell if he's decent or not but let's say he becomes the SECOND coach in history to be good from college to the nfl. Would you bet on being struck by lightning, mauled by a black bear, AND also being mauled by a brown bear all in the same day? History is a bitch sometimes but it's always true.

FYI: That list is a re-post from the professional sports writers who know more then anyone here. Unless we have one of them here no one knows about.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ

said by Draiman:

said by Eagles LoveR:

The Raven's made the play-offs in 2000, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. It looks like Harbaugh inherited a good team to me. Maybe you can explain that away?

Ravens? Jon Harbaugh? The guy who wasn't in college football prior to the Ravens job? The guy who coached as an assistant for the Eagles since day 1 of Reids tenure? How does that help your point?

49ers prior to JIM Harbaugh were nothing, one of the worst teams in football for years. JIM, the guy from Stanford, turned the 49ers around.
--
"I done wrassled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale, only Last week I murdered a rock, Injured a stone, hospitalized a brick, I'm so mean I make medicine sick!!"-Ali

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

1 recommendation

reply to Draiman

If I was Nick Saban or Chip Kelly I would stay put.

Chip Kelly's style of success will only work, with the proper personnel. Personally I would stay clear of any team, unless I had a QB. The best job going, at this moment, is SD. At least Rivers, who admittedly has had a poor season, is generally a good QB.

Andy Reid should have stayed retired for a year. He has a good RB in KC, but Andy throws the ball only, and Matt Cassell can't deliver. The Chiefs have the first round pick, but I don't see any RGIII, Luck caliber QBs in the draft this year. His only advantage is that, besides the Broncos, its a weak division.

Andy Reid, with all his previous personal woes, should, emulate Cowher, Dungy etc and devote more time to his family.
--
one cigarette costs 2 minutes of your life.
one bottle of beer costs 4 minutes of your life.
one working day costs 8 hours of your life.

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ

Rivers has had back-to-back bad seasons. Granted, he doesn't have as much talent around him as he did a few years ago, but he has played like poop for a couple seasons not just this past one.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to FFH

I agree with you there capdjq. I think Chip know's he needs to personnel to make him look good from the start. He turned down Tampa last year or he could have been a head coach already.
--

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

said by Eagles LoveR:

He's yet to win when it matters. Time will tell if he's decent or not but let's say he becomes the SECOND coach in history to be good from college to the nfl. Would you bet on being struck by lightning, mauled by a black bear, AND also being mauled by a brown bear all in the same day? History is a bitch sometimes but it's always true.

FYI: That list is a re-post from the professional sports writers who know more then anyone here. Unless we have one of them here no one knows about.

This is Jim's second year as an NFL HC of the 49ers. I'd say at this point today he NFL coaching career has been very much more than "descent". the 49ers last year no one thought they were near a playoff team let a lone make it to the NFC championship game, lose mainly because their primary Punt returner was injured.
--

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver
reply to Draiman

I, also, cannot understand the rush to hire Andy Reid. The Eagles spent millions of dollars building a dream team, and Reid turned his defense over to an offensive-line coach on a whim. He also played a role in giving Michael Vick a new lucrative contract and then overseeing an offensive strategy that repeatedly put his undersized quarterback in harms way because of his love of the pass and hatred of the run.

There are other Coaches with less miles on their odometer, those without indisputable video evidence of their sideline freakiness and questionable decision-making.
--
one cigarette costs 2 minutes of your life.
one bottle of beer costs 4 minutes of your life.
one working day costs 8 hours of your life.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by capdjq:

I, also, cannot understand the rush to hire Andy Reid. The Eagles spent millions of dollars building a dream team, and Reid turned his defense over to an offensive-line coach on a whim. He also played a role in giving Michael Vick a new lucrative contract and then overseeing an offensive strategy that repeatedly put his undersized quarterback in harm’s way because of hisl ove of the pass and hatred of the run.

There are other Coaches with less miles on their odometer, those without indisputable video evidence of their sideline freakiness and questionable decision-making.

I also agree there. I'd like to see Butch Davis try his hand again. I think he would be perfect for a team like the Eagles.
--

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ

No.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to FFH

A few good choices for the open HC positions right now IMHO are:
Dirk Koetter
Jay Gruden
Mike Zimmer
Butch Davis

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ

Dirk has an offense that has SO much talent with possibly the best WR core in football. His offense should have been even better than it was. Jay Gruden is a descent one, would rather have his brother. Butch Davis, NO. Mike Zimmer is a descent one.

Bruce Arians is prbably the best HC prospect ut there. Any of the 49ers and Seahawks OC and DC would be a dream as well.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to capdjq

said by capdjq:

Andy Reid, with all his previous personal woes, should, emulate Cowher, Dungy etc and devote more time to his family.

And he'd get a prime gig in a broadcast booth too.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by elwoodblues:

said by capdjq:

And he'd get a prime gig in a broadcast booth too.

I agree, he should have taken a year off. But it looks like the deal with KC is near finalized and to get Reid, KC fired their GM this morning because Reid didn't want him as a boss.
»abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/···18131663
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Reid is officially the new KC head coach as of 11:11 am EST.
»www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000···greement

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by Draiman:

He will improve KC's record next year. But in the long run they hired a bad game day coach who makes bad calls under pressure.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to FFH

Another person that pops to mind is Monte Kiffin. He would make a great HC I think.

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ
reply to FFH

Eagles will indeed interview 2 of the people I want. Bruce Arians and Gus Bradley next week. ALSO.. Chip Kelly :/

»profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20···-arians/
--

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by Draiman:

He will improve KC's record next year. But in the long run they hired a bad game day coach who makes bad calls under pressure.

Not unless he gets a new QB. I would rank Matt Cassell as one position higher than Mark Sanchez for the worst QB honors.
--
Liberalism is a mental disorder

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to FFH

I'd like to see Ray Horton get a head coaching gig. If not this year, soon. He's the Cardinals defensive coordinator, and they had a pretty good defense (which was probably on the field about 40 minutes per game due to their pitiful offense). Horton was interviewed twice by the Cards and the Bills are interviewing him.

The "Reid to Arizona" talk was all put into play by Reid's agent by the way to generate (fake) interest in Reid and make other teams hurry to talk to him.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to capdjq

said by capdjq:

said by FFH:

said by Draiman:

Not unless he gets a new QB. I would rank Matt Cassell as one position higher than Mark Sanchez for the worst QB honors.

Behind KC or the Jet's Oline even Manning/Brady/etc. would look bad. Those 2 teams need some serious Oline help!
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to FFH

FYI: Chip Kelly backed out.....as expected.

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver

I thought Oregon was facing sanctions for some violations? He should bail a la Pete Carroll.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to FFH

It's a done deal he's staying in Oregon. Maybe the Eagles can get some other college coach to try the NFL and fail.

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ
reply to FFH

2 years in a row he backed out into going into the NFL. Good, he isn't an NFL style coach. He's perfect for the college game, not the NFL game. Honestly I would rather keep that turd Reid than get Kelly.

I want Bruce Arians or Gus Bradley.
--

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver

I wonder why any Big Team College Football Coach would want to go to the Pros. Saban and Kelly have complete control where they are and well paid, already. Alabama and the Ducks pretty well recruit themselves, on reputation. Why risk all that?

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Eagles LoveR

I hope the Eagles get Lovie Smith!