Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CaptainZero

@torservers.net
reply to slajoh01

Re: Any secure anonymous linux distros based on Whonix

said by slajoh01 :
Isnt their a TOR addon in FF to use for this?

Tor no longer supports the TOR Button addon for install on a Firefox distribution from Mozilla. The TOR browser bundle includes a portable Firefox 10....ESR. Helps with the insane Mozilla update schedule.

said by unreg :
Also TBB is also not 100% anonymous. More pseudonymous. True anonymity is the goal. A long way to go.

I agree completely. The links you posted are from TOR bug track. Certainly those issues are relevant to anonymity but I saw no mention of adding browser plugins to the mix. Did I miss something. Elsewhere the TOR documentation recommends against browser plugins and extensions other than those included in the bundle (HTTPS Everywhere, No Script and TOR Button).

said by unreg :
I think youtube is unlikely to attack.
If you are just trying to confuse Google there are other solutions with a lot less latency. I suppose there are reasons for anonymity on YouTube, perhaps threatening a government or an individual or just being critical of them could land you on a watch list.

None of that applies to me and I will not be adding browser plugins as they add a layer of risk that I am not comfortable with. Obviously you feel different so get after that YouTube and enjoy. Google "Two Girls and a Cup" (Flash video but no longer on YouTube). Some things are just so bad you can't stop watching.

unreg

@ipredator.se

Sorry, my last reply was to slajoh01. I missed yours, CaptainZero.

quote:
I agree completely. The links you posted are from TOR bug track. Certainly those issues are relevant to anonymity but I saw no mention of adding browser plugins to the mix.
That is totally right. I wrote that to make clear that the "don't use it because pseudonymous, not anonymous" argument is weak one against Flash. It's one reason against Flash but not a sufficient reason. TBB is also rather pseudonymous than anonymous. (open bugs, more fingerprinting bugs such as desktop resolution, zoom...)

quote:
Did I miss something. Elsewhere the TOR documentation recommends against browser plugins and extensions other than those included in the bundle (HTTPS Everywhere, No Script and TOR Button).
Correct.

quote:
None of that applies to me and I will not be adding browser plugins as they add a layer of risk that I am not comfortable with.
Yes, the added security risk is a strong argument against Flash.