how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dualsport7

join:2002-02-01
V1L6H

[BC] Slow Internet

I have had shaw for as long as I can remember, and as well keep trying to get some speed out of their internet.
My home has been visited, drop cable changed, modem checked etc., home visits, calls from support saying they recognize a local problem, I get short term relief, it all drops back.

I did get a refund for paying for high speed 20 when it was never possible, I now have high speed 10. I have done hundreds of speed tests using shaws speedtest, or speedtest.net.
Speed test index says shaw is typically 4 or slower for the thousands of tests Nelson users do each month.

My local hotel has shaw wi fi, I use my iphone and do speed tests, I can see 7-10 almost always, and upload up to 4, curiously in all my tests for ever at home, upload seems consistent and constant at .45? obviously a cap somewhere! I am convinced shaw has the ability to deliberatly cap my modem and everyone elses, so their undercapacity system, will serve everyone the best, yet they have no problem taking money for high speed that no one, at least myself can get consistently. I think there is something called a Node in my area, its not able to serve us all, so we all get a little piece, but they take our money as if they could give us high speed. I wish I knew how to confirm this.
My experience and logic says this must be so!

fan13027

join:2008-10-26
Winnipeg, MB
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by dualsport7:

... curiously in all my tests for ever at home, upload seems consistent and constant at .45? obviously a cap somewhere!

Sorry I can't help with the rest (I'm sure others will chime in soon), but the one thing I can confirm is that your upload speed at .45 megabytes per second is correct. HS10 and HS20 plans are capped at 500 megabits per second upload speed. I have HS20 (in Winnipeg) and my upload speeds in speed tests are invariably around .48 or 49 -- that's max and you can't expect any more.

dualsport7

V1L6H

thanks I did not know that, obviously the hotels wifi has a higher speed plan, I am lucky to get 2 usually less on downloads during the hours I and everyone else would typically be using a computer. 10 is not good to me at 2 am, although I have tested during the wee hours and still might only see 5-7

dualsport7

V1L6H

oh, that 7-10 would have been when I was paying for HS20. The only time I ever saw 14-16 was when a supervisor called me saying they had discovered a local problem. I was set up for one more house call, they wanted me to be home from 8 till 5 or something like that, I asked them why would they come to my house, it would be pointless, everything had been done at my house over and over and over. The next day a supervisor called and said they were cancelling the house call, they discovered a local problem, my speed tests then showed this never before seen 14- 17ish numbers. It wasn't long after I never saw anything over 10 again. Finally I got a refund for my HS20, now my HS10 would be lucky to see a speedtest over 5.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

Keep calling... Get another service call booked,

If it gets better, and then worse, something is happening, it needs to be figured out what...
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

nocomplaints

@telus.net

I have heard of installers " Slapping the services " now I don't understand this method which is also called " Tagging Services " as well. Maybe this is whats going on. If a installer runs out of bandwidth on his loop and keeps adding users to the already existing user base and its really getting bigger then its enevitable it will slow down due to saturation unless there hackers and all have auth servers in which case the opposite effect would happen because it would significantly reduce cpu cycles on lookup and easy the overall burden of recursion.

I tried googling it and didn't find much. Is there new subdivisions going up near by? I sympathize with you but after shaws upgrades where I am I have never seen slower than 27 megs a second now and think just guessing the overhead is 34 on all installs. So that would leave the old base of 7 either way.

I have like 1.5 at best usually but still waiting for a port in my area for high speed. Either way Im tired of not getting what I pay for.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

Tagging a line, would be putting a tag/card on the line, where there is a bunch of wires, marking the address and/or what services are supposed to be on that line, which tiers for example.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

dualsport7

V1L6H

Just visited a friend in the hospital a few blocks, did a speed test
WOW, never have I seen this, pinned the needle in the red on
Speedtest.net twice, over 23.7, I want their service! I don't know if its shaw or telus.