uniqs
share rss forum feed

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to FFH5

Re: Why is Apple stock sinking like a stone?

said by FFH5:

Why do you think Apple may be getting dissed by Wall St? And will it recover or will it turn in to another Microsoft? Profitable, but no longer cutting edge?

That's exactly why it is getting trashed. What "novel" things have been introduced since the passing of Steve Jobs? No disrespect meant to Apple but all of its current product offerings are either upgrades (in some cases, significant ones) to existing products or a "me too" offering like the iPad mini.

Apple's umpteenth foray into the TV streaming business itself is also not novel. Others have tried to break into that market as well.

I don't see Apple circling the drain of irrelevance like RIM and Palm did, simply because they make excellent quality hardware, but the magic is definitely gone.
--
USA 2012 - the mooches won.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

What "novel" things have been introduced since the passing of Steve Jobs?

Retina laptops.

We'll never know for sure, but I think Apple would be in this position with or without Jobs. Bubbles burst, competition catches up. People keep pointing to the passing of Jobs for every mis-step, even though nothing in the Jobs era was perfect. My original iPhone used to crash regularly when browsing pages. The iPhone 3G dropped calls, and many 3GS's had jaundiced screens.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
said by djrobx:

What "novel" things have been introduced since the passing of Steve Jobs?

Retina laptops.

Eh, I don't see this as revolutionary. Pixel density technology has always been improving so I dont' see this as "novel," but rather an update to an existing offering. To Apple's credit however, they did set the standard for insanely high display resolutions for laptops and tablets (even if they may not have been the first to do it).
said by djrobx:

We'll never know for sure, but I think Apple would be in this position with or without Jobs. Bubbles burst, competition catches up. People keep pointing to the passing of Jobs for every mis-step, even though nothing in the Jobs era was perfect. My original iPhone used to crash regularly when browsing pages. The iPhone 3G dropped calls, and many 3GS's had jaundiced screens.

These are just one-off technical glitches that are found in many mass produced consumer goods though. Technological improvements continue to solve these problems.

I'm looking more for a totally "new" thing... like the iPhone itself for example. It certainly wasn't the first smartphone, but it radically changed the way everyone uses smartphones to the point where smartphones are everyday devices now.
--
USA 2012 - the mooches won.

xccxcc

join:2010-06-13
To Apple's credit however, they did set the standard for insanely high display resolutions

> I believe you mean IBM set the standard with IBM T220/T221

im writing this with the 9503-DG5 model write now