join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

Scavenger Hunt #195 Dec 8 - 21

Thanks to EGeezer See Profile for selecting my Library shadow photograph

In the northern hemisphere, the days continue to get shorter and the nights longer. If it weren't for the holiday season, this would be my least favorite time of year One way I fight off the dark, gloomy days and nights is with plenty of candles, which I light most evenings this time of year. (I once counted, and at Christmas I had nearly 40 tea-light candles lit in our living room )

So here's the topic for this hunt: candles or photos shot in candlelight.

This is something that everyone should be able to do easily, so I'm hoping for plenty of awesome photos! Post pictures of your favorite holiday candles, at home or from a shop or wherever you can find them. If you're up for a bit of challenge, try a candlelight photo and if you've never shot in candlelight before, here are a couple of resources to get you started:

15 Tips for Shooting in Candlelight

How to Take Candlelight Photography

And last but not least, here are the obligatory (and usual) rules for posting;

* Photos must be taken during the hunt time frame. No archived photos allowed.
* You may post as many entries as you wish
* No larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side.
* The winner will host the next hunt.
* This hunt runs through December 21, 2012.
* Enjoy the journey.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24

Very cool idea.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

I rather thought so but... I might try a few candlelight photos in the next day or two and post them if that will prime the pump
--
♬ Music is life ♬

badd
Premium
join:2001-10-04
De Queen, AR
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious

Good topic but not for me since the candle would ignite my oxygen and blow me to smithereens and burn the complex to the ground.
--
Just another day in Paradise

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

LOL! Well, you get a pass on a LIT candle But there are some pretty candles that don't have to be lit
--
♬ Music is life ♬

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to darcilicious

Click for full size
Just fooling around on my iPhone 5 and an app called PicFrame

The "candelabra" in the top left corner was a gift from my mother-in-law in Sweden. We tend to lean towards Swedish traditions at Jultid (Christmas time).
--
♬ Music is life ♬

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious

Click for full size
PENTAX K20D
30mm 1/8th F3.5 ISO400

The magic hour :)
Since I hosted the last hunt, this is just to stir the imagination for those who may be thinking about a subject.

This is a little in-camera processing and slight adjustment of curves and perspective in GIMP. Since low light focusing is tough on my camera, I lit the scene, set focus, turned off the lights and shot using manual settings. Ideally, I'd have used a darker background, but the wall is all I could muster without moving a lot of stuff.

The clock is a Gilbert that I bought at a farm auction many years ago. The Mail Pouch barn was made by a good friend.

Edit - I suggest extending the time since this is a busy season for many people.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to badd

said by badd:

... the candle would ignite my oxygen and blow me to smithereens and burn the complex to the ground.

In that case I recommend an exemption for artificial candles. We don't need to start nicknaming you "Crispy".
--

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to darcilicious

Click for full size
Click for full size
NIKON D3100
40mm 1/30th +0.3ev F5.6 ISO800

I don't do much in house decorations, but I have a Native American statue that posed with two candles.

This was a challenge. The two entries are the same photo, i did two different things to reduce the back shine of the candles. Both effects I just stumbled on in opening up different tools. So this thread is helping me learn stuff about the software.

The "black and white" is 100% color-desaturated. It wasn't what I was going for at first, but it kinda looks cool. The second I played with the exposure compensation in UFRaw

O..
--
Windsor, Home of the Decorative Zamboni

robs440
Premium
join:2003-06-26
Orlando, FL
reply to darcilicious

damn i never could find any candles

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious

First a big thank you to EGeezer See Profile and orion940 See Profile for participating. I know it was a challenge to do do the candlelight one (which is why I also included "just candles" )

Both entries were very well done but I need to choose a favorite and perhaps surprisingly, I really like the black and white posted by orion940 See Profile so you're the winner and get to choose the next hunt

(It was tempting to extend the deadline but not doing so could make for an "easy" topic next

Happy Holidays, everyone!
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT

darcilicious, thanks. I'm not sure what the easy topic is though! I will come up with a hunt tomorrow.

O.
--
Windsor, Home of the Decorative Zamboni

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

Well, there's this certain holiday coming up in a few days...

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric

There are several - The choices are many, even Festivus
--