uniqs
share rss forum feed

wolfcreek

join:2003-12-02
Pagosa Springs, CO

2 edits

2 recommendations

New Solar Site

Thanks to the late start of winter we got our high mountain tower site completed. It is at 12,000 ft of elevation. It features solar power and backup diesel generator. It is fully automated with the use of an industrial PLC controller. Radios are licensed 11ghz in 2+0 configuration with aggregation fiber switch capable of 730 mbs throughput full duplex.

14,000 ft peak in background on drive up

--
Remote Power Systems
Technician: Skywerx.com

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12

1 recommendation

Great re-purposing of a cargo container. Are you afraid of theft or vandalism at this location? I'd be most concerned about the generator.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

wolfcreek

Pagosa Springs, CO

1 edit

It is private property on a mine claim with no public access and large gate. It is 3000 foot climb up by foot from the road below with extremely steep slopes and it is camera monitored. It is a steep dangerous drive and an even tougher walk.. No one could carry away generator it weighs 3000 pounds plus almost 1000 pounds of fuel and it is locked up. Also in an normal year the snow will prevent access to the site for over 6 months of the year
--
Remote Power Systems

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
reply to wolfcreek

wow, some $$$ there

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to wolfcreek

Yea must be a pretty damn important site

Just a relay station to get over a big big hill I guess?
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

Chele

join:2003-07-23
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to wolfcreek

Sad, really sad---this is what passes for pron in this site:( What makes it worse is that it appeals to me:)

What can you show us of the nitty gritty on the solar side? As in any good pron, don't spare any details! We did a small solar POP and am afraid we made several mistakes and wanted something to guide me.

It looks extremely nice, well done.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA
reply to wolfcreek

Nice site looks like one of ours with solar arrays on the top instead of the sides..

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to wolfcreek

Very cool. Any inside pictures? What do you all do when the panels are covered with snow?

TheHox

join:2012-05-31
reply to wolfcreek

Hows the wind up there? Stick up some wind generators perhaps?

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
reply to wolfcreek

said by wolfcreek:

No one could carry away generator it weighs 3000 pounds plus almost 1000 pounds of fuel and it is locked up. Also in an normal year the snow will prevent access to the site for over 6 months of the year

How do you refuel the generator? Wait 6 months?
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

jkrusel

join:2003-04-12
Leslie, MO
reply to wolfcreek

That must be over 40KW of generator. What the heck are you running up there that uses that much power?

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to wolfcreek

You'd be surprised. I've seen large generators literally disappear in some very remote locations.
When a thief has time and cover on their side... they can accomplish a lot.

Had a tower site on a location with 2 miles of gravel road. Houses all around. The set was in a vault with a plate lid. Fenced and well lit. The thieves came in with a flatbed and an excavator. They got a nice 30 kW set.
Nobody around saw or heard anything.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
reply to nunya

I'd be more worried about the panels just plain being damaged, if not 'liberated'. Very nice just the same. Looked the area up and damn that's some rough terrain.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to wolfcreek

Would love to see a photo of the battery bank! What kind of specs on that?

wolfcreek

Pagosa Springs, CO

1 recommendation

reply to wolfcreek

Battery bank is 24 trojan 2 volt 1500 amp hour batteries but at our draw rate should have more like a 2000 amp hour capacity. Batteries weigh aprox 3000 lbs.

Generator is a 20 kw 59 hp turbo diesel with a diesel powered block heater. Bought at a surplus telecom auction new no hours for a third of retail price

the gen is probably never going to be necessary unless we get an exteded no sun period or a solar charger failure. Should be good on fuel till late spring/early summer

Believe it or not this is for one customer that got a quote of 2-3 million for a fiber build out. they were on a couple of T-1s I believe.

I do not think most wind generators would survive the high winds and ice at this site

I will try to get pictures inside later in the week. Have to make a sno-cat trip up to the site this week. Not looking forward to it as there is 15-20 inches of new snow and due to the previous warm weather avalanche risk is pretty high. So we will be evaluating slope conditions on the way up.
--
Remote Power Systems

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

all for one customer? Love to see his monthly bill, lol
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5

said by Jim_in_VA:

all for one customer? Love to see his monthly bill, lol

Probably a lot more capex than opex, but hell even if this cost ~400k for equipment and labor thats still better than 2million.

DaDawgs
Premium
join:2010-08-02
Deltaville, VA
reply to wolfcreek

We have come a long way from where we started, eh lads? Beautiful bit of engineering there Wolfcreek.

rabitcat

join:2012-12-21

Nice sharing.Thanks for giving information here.