Newcastle, ON
Asus XT8
Asus RT-AX92U
Nokia XS-010X-Q

shwatkin to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc

Re: Start.ca VS Distributel

Sorry Marc, wasn't trying to pick on TekSavvy (I was a TekSavvy DSL customer for years) but the fact is there are some major urban areas serviced by Rogers (Barrie and Oshawa to name two from this thread) that you cannot get TekSavvy cable. And most often in those areas (again Barrie and Oshawa to name 2) you can get Distributel cable service. Also for the same 28/1 package TekSavvy is $12 more a month than Distributel. I love TekSavvy just wish that they had cable service available in my area when I decided to make the jump from DSL. At this point I don't see any reason to pay $12 more for the same speed tiers though (not that it matters as TekSavvy still doesn't service my town).

No hard feelings and I hope to see your service available in more areas soon.

Upsidedown
@utoronto.ca

Upsidedown

Anon

Long story short.

-Start covers Telus, Bell, Rogers and Cogeco's footprint.
-TSI covers Telus, Bell, parts of Rogers and Cogeco. Not sure about Videotron.

Start is more widely available in specific cable provider's footprint.
Teksavvy has/uses more cable providers, but doesnt cover 100% of their respective footprint.

Although I wouldn't really include Shaw, TSI covers one market. Cant even get it in Edmonton or Calgary.

Also, I for one don't take companies seriously when they say things like coming soon, or upgrading very soon. Everybody has a different interpretation of that, and if you don't meet expectations, it just hurts your own rep. Perfect example of that is Mobilicity, especially when their "retention" says they'll be improving coverage soon in the downtown core.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to shwatkin

Premium Member

to shwatkin
No worries shwatkin, I hear you. For my part, I was more pointing out the fact that those two cities hardly account for the whole country...

I do agree about those two cities though.. we wanted to turn them up but given the CRTC proceedings at the time. It just wasnt possible, we ran out of time. I do believe that we have some areas that they dont also though but its a moot point.. it is what it is for those few areas. In a few months it will all be history anyway.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to Upsidedown

Premium Member

to Upsidedown
said by Upsidedown :

Although I wouldn't really include Shaw, TSI covers one market. Cant even get it in Edmonton or Calgary.

Vancouver is the third largest City in Canada population wise. Just FYI..

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to Upsidedown

Premium Member

to Upsidedown
said by Upsidedown :

-Start covers Telus, Bell, Rogers and Cogeco's footprint.

I don't normally hop into sales threads (especially 'us' vs 'them' ones), but just a slight correction on the above as we're not in Telus area. Right now mainly just focused on all of Ontario, which we cover with Bell, Rogers and Cogeco.

ErrorError
@start.ca

ErrorError

Anon

Why does Start's website qualify DSL in Edmonton if you guys dont cover Telus? Man, I was JUST about to wean my sister off of Telus' stupidity.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

said by ErrorError :

Why does Start's website qualify DSL in Edmonton if you guys dont cover Telus? Man, I was JUST about to wean my sister off of Telus' stupidity.

What method did you use to qualify? For DSL, you use phone to qualify not by address I believe. *Correct me if I'm wrong!

ErrorError
@start.ca

ErrorError

Anon

I punched in my sister's postal code after clicking on "High Speed" and it says she can get DSL 2, 6 or 15.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

The main services page uses the postal code to determine the cable zone. The highspeed availability link is the main tool that does qualification and can check phone #'s for service (ie postal codes are too large to do useful dsl qualification). It's a good point for out of province searches though, I'll see what I can do. We don't do any advertising outside of Ontario so it hasn't come up before.