spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Nu2FiOS
join:2012-11-07
Washington, DC

Nu2FiOS

BBU Location

I was a little unhappy when the tech installed FiOS in my house. Without asking me (and being new to FiOS, I didn't know a BBU would be installed in the house), the tech put the BBU in the spare bedroom in my basement instead of putting it the utility room which is also in the basement.
When I saw it, he explained that it was difficult for him to drill through the brick wall, so that was why he drilled through the window frame in the spear bedroom and put the BBU there. I let it go at the time b/c it was done already and I thought I could live with it. But it bugs every time I see it there.

I have 2 questions:
#1, Is it reasonable for me to ask and will VZ agree to come out to relocate the BBU?
#2, Is there a distance requirement between the ONT and the BBU? I remember reading somewhere there is a limit but I cannot find that info again.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

1) You can ask VZ to move the BBU, but expect to pay for a truck roll ($88) for them to do so.
2) Distance limit is 50 feet between the ONT and the BBU.
Nu2FiOS
Washington, DC

Nu2FiOS

Hmm, now I wish I had insisted the tech to do it over when he was there. At the time, I felt bad for him though. He was rushing the whole time and I asked him why. He explained that VZ expected them to finish 2 days' worth of works in one day and his next appointment was a triple-play in a large house with 5 TVs. So I let it go.

Anyway,
#1, If I do it myself, what sort of cable(s) do I need?
#2, Where can I find a manual for the BBU?
#3, Do I even need the BBU? Does the BBU provide backup power to video and internet? I don't have phone service at home at all (using just our cell phones.)

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

#1 You can not do it yourself.
#2 there is not one
#3 Yes you do. It is an integrated unit. It does not keep the Video and Data up for more than about 10 mins.

Call back VZ and have them move it. There will not be a charge.
Nu2FiOS
Washington, DC

Nu2FiOS

I'll call VZ and see what they say about it. But just in case they say they are going to charge me, I'll like to do it myself. But you say I can't do it myself? Why?

PoloDude
Premium Member
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

They are not going to charge you.
You would need to go into the VZ side of the ONT. There are 10 connections that have to be made. They are connections that are breakable. If you break it, you will put yourself out of service. At THAT point VZ could or will charge you for damaging the equipment.
Do yourself a favor. Call in and have a tech move it.
Nu2FiOS
Washington, DC

Nu2FiOS

Cool. Will call them Monday. Thanks for the info.
Nu2FiOS

Nu2FiOS

Before I call it in, I just want to make sure. The utility room I am thinking to relocate the OPSU/BBU to, houses the boilers for my hot water tank and radiator heating system. So, it is slightly warm in there. Is this a problem?

PoloDude
Premium Member
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

No. Is there an outlet in there? If not , the ps supply will be where it is now and the battery part can be moved.
Nu2FiOS
Washington, DC

Nu2FiOS

Yes. there is a few electricity outlets there.
I measure it and from the ONT to the spot right at the electricity outlet is about 45' -48'. If need be, I can run an extension cord/power strip from the outlet - this shouldn't be a problem, right?

bhan261
join:2001-02-12
New York, NY

bhan261

VZ says the BBU cannot be plugged into an extension/power strip. But who knows how strictly they enforce this policy.
Nu2FiOS
Washington, DC

Nu2FiOS

Ah-ha. This is interesting. I didn't realized it before b/c it was obscured by the bed and other furniture. I just check. The tech actually plugged it into the power-strip I have behind the bed instead of plugging it directly into the wall outlet which is a way away from the unit.