how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DAVIDGR

join:2005-03-08
Armonk, NY

[IMG] IMG 1.9.1 Build 14.47 in VHO5

I just noticed a new IMG build on my two DVRs and 1 HD STB.

Under Customer Support Menu:
My Wireless Network new item - shows SSID and Password
My Account new item - option to view bill, show messages
System Information - option now to press Info button for more details.

Search Menu:
New Search option - New keyword search box at the top of the screen. I don't understand what it adds, since when I enter letters for my search, the results appear on the right as usual. But some different results appear in the top box.

There may be more changes that I haven't discovered yet....

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

said by DAVIDGR:

That's a pretty horrible security flaw as the router requires a password to view the Wireless password at least. I know its located in the home but for example maybe some parents don't want kids knowing the wireless password.

justin9876

join:2006-04-21
Keller, TX

said by bohratom:

said by DAVIDGR:

That's a pretty horrible security flaw as the router requires a password to view the Wireless password at least. I know its located in the home but for example maybe some parents don't want kids knowing the wireless password.

I have mixed emotions about this. You are right, it exposes critical information to anybody in the house with access to an STB. But at the same time, I suspect one of the most frequent calls to tech support is "what is my wireless password"? Making the information available this way can potentially make the calls shorter and easier to answer, and eventually reduce the number of calls.

I guess Verizon really needs to add a password dialog for the Menu on the TV?
--
Justin
Verizon FiOS TV and Internet
Motorola QIP7232 HD DVR
Motorola QIP 7100-P2
Sony KDL-V40XBR1

bohratom

Red Bank NJ

said by justin9876:

I guess Verizon really needs to add a password dialog for the Menu on the TV?

Hopefully they require parental controls for that menu item in a future rev.

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY
kudos:3
reply to DAVIDGR

What else is new in this img?

justin9876

Keller, TX

said by Lex Luthor:

What else is new in this img?

I have looked through the entire IMG dialog and the Guide and I didn't see anything that DAVIDGR didn't mention. But of course it is easily possible I could have missed something, especially if it was something like new Widgets or VOD changes because I almost never use any of those things.

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to bohratom

said by bohratom:

If someone is in a position to have access to your STB in order to display the password, there is nothing you can do at that point to prevent them from gaining access to your network. There's an active Coax line there; they can simply buy a MOCA adapter, hook it up to the Coax line that was serving the STV, and they're in.

Wi-Fi passkeys are not designed to provide the sort of security you are suggesting. They are only there to serve as a virtual "locked front door" preventing those who are "outside" from getting "in" without physical access to the network.

Once you're in the house looking at the STB, you have physical access to the network anyway, so the Wi-Fi passkey becomes moot.

Unless, of course, you're doing some crazy anal-retentive network security thing inside your home, like keeping your router, STBs and ONT behind locked cages and wrapping all coax or Ethernet runs in steel conduit to prevent this sort of physical network access.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
reply to DAVIDGR

14.47 is not new. However there is another fix

As posted by Blueribb in Verizons forums »forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Te···5#M40023

"Platform Version is only visable in the hidden service menu.

To access this menu:

1 - Turn the TV & FIOS box on

2 - On the box itself, press: Pwr, OK, OK quickly - you should now have a white service menu screen

3 - Press the arrow down button to D08 and press OK

4 - Version Number 25.38 Apr 07, 2012 (old) > Version Number 25.39 Oct 22, 2012 (new)

5 - Press Pwr to exit this hidden menu"

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
reply to bohratom

said by bohratom:

said by DAVIDGR:

Not sure why they would display it in a wired device, however several of my wireless devices always display the SSID and Password. No protection what so ever.

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
Hicksville, NY
reply to DAVIDGR

Does this build fix the bug where if you are watching something just behind live on the non dvr box that once you catch up to live it kicks you out to tv and you have to ff all the way back to that spot (hoping you don't go to far and kick yourself back out again)?

Sdwz12

@verizon.net
reply to DAVIDGR

Possible new feature or error? In VOD press widgets button and it takes you to my library the same as pressing A.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ
reply to UnnDunn

said by UnnDunn:

Wi-Fi passkeys are not designed to provide the sort of security you are suggesting. They are only there to serve as a virtual "locked front door" preventing those who are "outside" from getting "in" without physical access to the network.

Once you're in the house looking at the STB, you have physical access to the network anyway, so the Wi-Fi passkey becomes moot.

Did u even read what I wrote? I mentioned young kids, nothing like you are suggesting.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ
reply to Sdwz12

said by Sdwz12 :

Possible new feature or error? In VOD press widgets button and it takes you to my library the same as pressing A.

Wish they would make the "A" go straight to "My Bookmarks" while watching TV, that would rock...

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to bohratom

said by bohratom:

Did u even read what I wrote? I mentioned young kids, nothing like you are suggesting.

I was speaking to your comment about it being a "massive security flaw."

If you're withholding the Wi-Fi passkey as some sort of parental control measure, you're doing it wrong. It's an easy thing to do, but it is not what Wi-Fi passkeys are designed for.

crgauth

join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to bohratom

Funny thing is that when I select this on my STB, I get an error stating that wireless networking is not enabled.
But clearly it is. So somehow it is blocked on mine.
Anyone have it show up if they changed the admin password (i did).

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by crgauth:

.. On the 3rd try...
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

jmcging

join:2005-08-04
Columbia, MD
reply to DAVIDGR

Interesting, I have the new N router and wireless is on and it says it's not then somehow I ended up in some sort of home network setup and eventually this came up "Unable to access your wireless settings because your wireless security has been changed to WPA/WPA2, WPA/WPA2 options are not supported by this tool. Then it says to use the INHome Agent tool.

So at least it isn't making my WPA2 passphrase easily accessible.

justin9876

Keller, TX

said by jmcging:

Interesting, I have the new N router and wireless is on and it says it's not then somehow I ended up in some sort of home network setup and eventually this came up "Unable to access your wireless settings because your wireless security has been changed to WPA/WPA2, WPA/WPA2 options are not supported by this tool. Then it says to use the INHome Agent tool.

So at least it isn't making my WPA2 passphrase easily accessible.

It shows my WPA2 passphrase, specifically says "Encryption Type: WPA2". I have an Actiontec Rev. I router, don't know if that makes any difference. And yes I have changed the passphrase.
--
Justin
Verizon FiOS TV and Internet
Motorola QIP7232 HD DVR
Motorola QIP 7100-P2
Sony KDL-V40XBR1

zippoboy7

join:2006-06-18
USA
reply to DAVIDGR

Has anyone tested to see what it says when the WiFi is disabled?

DGGSLF

join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA
reply to DAVIDGR

It's here in Mass as well. Not sure when it got updated but I checked it an hour ago and can also now see my wireless network settings (SSID and WPA password), displayed under the "Customer Support" section of the main menu.

I don't really notice any better responsiveness when I press buttons on my remote but I'll see what my wife says, since she was complaining more than I was.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

said by DGGSLF:

I don't really notice any better responsiveness when I press buttons on my remote but I'll see what my wife says, since she was complaining more than I was.

I don't notice much improvement either, it still seems to do it. Even if you put the TV on and watch whatever the box was on for five minutes, when you go to change the channel that very first time, it still doesn't seem to go.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to zippoboy7

said by zippoboy7:

Has anyone tested to see what it says when the WiFi is disabled?

It says something to that effect. I use another router for my wireless (a gigabit router) which is attached to an ActionTec port. After reading about this, I thought I'd check to see if I had the update by checking the SSID and PW. And the result reminded me that I'm not using wifi on the ActionTec.

zippoboy7

join:2006-06-18
USA

Thanks for letting me know, I also run another router for my wireless (A dd-wrt enabled router running as an AP) purely because the Actiontec wireless has horrid coverage and no 5Ghz support.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore

join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to crgauth

said by crgauth:

Funny thing is that when I select this on my STB, I get an error stating that wireless networking is not enabled.
But clearly it is. So somehow it is blocked on mine.

I had the same response. Funny thing is that I am using my wireless to post this!

LLStarks
I've been here a while
Premium
join:2003-12-03
Roslyn, NY
reply to DAVIDGR

I'm still on the April build and in VHO5.

Any way to force a download?
--
I know before you even speak that you're wrong.

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
Hicksville, NY
reply to Lex Luthor

said by Lex Luthor:

Does this build fix the bug where if you are watching something just behind live on the non dvr box that once you catch up to live it kicks you out to tv and you have to ff all the way back to that spot (hoping you don't go to far and kick yourself back out again)?

So this is still not fixed then?

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
kudos:2

It is not fixed. But they *should* be aware we want it back from 1.8 days.

said by Lex Luthor:

said by Lex Luthor:

So this is still not fixed then?

elizar

join:2010-09-08
Buffalo, NY
reply to DAVIDGR

My house in Buffalo, NY got this update last night. As others have said not much new to play with, but my 7216 DVR seems to be more responsive to channel surfing then before. I've been one of the lucky ones who have never seen the slow channel change issue so can't comment on if this update fixes that issue.

jonahan7

join:2007-01-11
Buffalo, NY

I've gotten this update 2 or 3 times now. It keeps reinstalling itself.

davemanfl

join:2008-01-04
North Port, FL

Where is the what's hot app now? That use to tell you what was being watched the most at that current time.