All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
vinkl
join:2012-12-08

vinkl

[Cable] Experiencing extremely low download/upload speeds

I live in Scarborough near Old Finch and Morningside. I am experiencing this in the afternoons and evenings. What is happening? How can I fix this?

28Mb download/1Mb upload (Cable)
McNicoll POI?
SB6120

Let me know if you need more info. Thank you.
pph
join:2012-12-07
M1S

pph

I am experiencing the same issue too.

torobull123
join:2009-06-20

torobull123 to vinkl

to vinkl
If you have ever seen the POI map for East end Scarborough, you'd notice how ridiculously undeserved the POI are in the area.

1 crappy POI serving a HUGE area with a ton of suburban neigherhoods and businesses. Not to mention UofT Scarborough.

»www.canadiancow.com/teks ··· ndex.php

This has been a problem for the area for many years now. Its the reason why I switched to TSI DSL 5+ years ago. Rogers only response was to introduce a 60gb cap after I started complaining.

This is why I am very reluctant switching back to cable.

EDIT: As far as Im concerned every single street/neighborhood should have a minimum of 1 POI. More than 1 if the capita is higher than average.
Expand your moderator at work
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to torobull123

to torobull123

Re: [Cable] Experiencing extremely low download/upload speeds

said by torobull123:

If you have ever seen the POI map for East end Scarborough, you'd notice how ridiculously undeserved the POI are in the area.

1 crappy POI serving a HUGE area with a ton of suburban neigherhoods and businesses. Not to mention UofT Scarborough.

EDIT: As far as Im concerned every single street/neighborhood should have a minimum of 1 POI. More than 1 if the capita is higher than average.

The number of POIs doesn't really matter. What is more important is the number of nodes and how many houses/businesses are passed by each node.

With that last sentence it sounds like you don't even know what a POI is.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to torobull123

Premium Member

to torobull123
Actually, that map's out of date.

If you look at this map:
»maps.google.com/maps/ms? ··· 0c3d07cb

They added a new POI called "Comstock" (near Warden & St.Clair) and moved the lower half of the McNicholl POI to it, the little jutting down area of the York Mills POI, and some of the Bloor.

torobull123
join:2009-06-20

torobull123 to vinkl

to vinkl
Never the less.... the area has huge congestion issues during peak hours.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

1 recommendation

resa1983

Premium Member

said by torobull123:

Never the less.... the area has huge congestion issues during peak hours.

Considering your speeds, the problem will be a local node issue, and not a Teksavvy POI issue (otherwise everyone on that POI would be complaining too, and they're not).

You'll have to open a ticket with Teksavvy, and they'll have to escalate it to Rogers to get off their butts to do some node splitting in your neighbourhood.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to vinkl

Premium Member

to vinkl
Of course try factory resetting the modem. Not necessarily a fix, but it can't hurt.

Go to the modem page at 192.168.100.1. Navigate to Configuration, click Restore all Defaults and then confirm. Reboot the modem.

Are speeds very good in the mornings? Or just sort of okay?

What firmware is the modem running (look at the Help page at 192.168.100.1)?
vinkl
join:2012-12-08

vinkl

The speeds are decent now. It was just the past few days that were out of the norm. I'm good now. Thanks for replying guys!
pph
join:2012-12-07
M1S

pph to vinkl

to vinkl
I am fine too. Very fast!!! McNicoll POI