uniqs

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude

Re: [IPv6] Troubleshooting Comcast IPv6 (Start Here)

Sounds like a plan. The initial install did not take long at all. So, I should have no problems doing it again with this version.

Thanks!

--Brian

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by plencnerb:

Sounds like a plan. The initial install did not take long at all. So, I should have no problems doing it again with this version.

Please keep us apprised on your pfSense project. I was tempted to load it on a retired Toshiba notebook, but the need to use a "beta" release made me balk (and I found a D-Link DIR655 on sale instead). Even so, I like to have plenty of options, and I may yet install pfSense on that old Toshiba box.

I would be especially interested in knowing if it has a DynDNS IPv6 client that can update multiple IPv6 hostnames like my DIR655 does.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

I would be especially interested in knowing if it has a DynDNS IPv6 client that can update multiple IPv6 hostnames like my DIR655 does.

Don't think that is necessary. Unless there is a network move (unlikely), or you change your DUID (new router), your IPv6 addresses should not change.

So just add an AAAA record somewhere and forget about it.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by whfsdude:

said by NetFixer:

Don't think that is necessary. Unless there is a network move (unlikely), or you change your DUID (new router), your IPv6 addresses should not change.

So just add an AAAA record somewhere and forget about it.

It may not happen often on a Comcast DHCP connection, but it does happen. Just a few weeks ago the DHCP address used by my Linux server changed when Comcast did some IP address block shuffling. Unless you have a business class static IP account (and Comcast still does not support IPv6 for those customers), there is no guarantee that your DHCP assigned IPv4 or IPv6 address(es) won't just suddenly change without notice.

One reason that I changed from using the Netgear router as my IPv6 gateway to using the D-Link router was because the Netgear's IPv6 WAN address and its LAN PD prefix was changing every couple of weeks (even though the WAN IPv4 address and the IPv6 prefix did not change). I am hoping that was an anomaly with the Netgear firmware, and/or that the D-Link's IPv6 DDNS client will automatically compensate should that start happening with the D-Link router. So far the LAN PD prefix has not changed in the D-Link router, but it may be too soon to be sure that it won't just arbitrarily change as was happening with the Netgear router.

Here are a few example screen shots of the Netgear router's IPv6 setup/status page showing those unexpected IPv6 address changes:

By using a DynDNS IPv6 client, I can just setup the IPv6 hostnames and forget about it as long as my IPv6 gateway router supports the DynDNS IPv6 client. OTOH, the DIR655 is a new router, and the IPv6 DDNS update is a relatively new feature for both D-Link and DynDNS, so I really don't know yet how reliable that process is.

C:\>dig ipv6.dcs-net.net AAAA

; <<>> DiG 9.9.2 <<>> ipv6.dcs-net.net AAAA
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 31371
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1280
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ipv6.dcs-net.net.              IN      AAAA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ipv6.dcs-net.net.       3601    IN      CNAME   ipv6-webhost.dyndns-ip.com.
ipv6-webhost.dyndns-ip.com. 60  IN      AAAA    2601:5:c80:91:e291:f5ff:fe95:a879

;; Query time: 156 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.9.2#53(192.168.9.2)
;; WHEN: Sat Dec 08 17:37:55 2012
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 113

C:\>dig ipv6.dcsenterprises.net AAAA

; <<>> DiG 9.9.2 <<>> ipv6.dcsenterprises.net AAAA
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 42201
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1280
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ipv6.dcsenterprises.net.       IN      AAAA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ipv6.dcsenterprises.net. 1800   IN      CNAME   ipv6-dcs-srv.dyndns-ip.com.
ipv6-dcs-srv.dyndns-ip.com. 60  IN      AAAA    2601:5:c80:91:e291:f5ff:fe95:beac

;; Query time: 140 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.9.2#53(192.168.9.2)
;; WHEN: Sat Dec 08 17:38:11 2012
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 120

On your new MetroEthernet derived service, you do get static IP addresses, so set it and forget about it is indeed possible. But not all of us can justify that expense, and that service is available in only a few very select locations.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I'd be more interested in forcing the use of a consumer router on the MetroEthernet service in the same manner one can use a consumer router when attached to a cable modem.