Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

offthewall
Premium
join:2002-05-22
Caldwell, NJ

Actiontec 40.19.36 firmware

I noticed today that the internet update search on the firmware page of my REV I router started to offer v 40.19.36. Previously only an older version was offered (40.19.20 I think).

Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) of going with this firmware?

Thanks.

TreeTops

join:2008-11-23

1 edit

Click for full size
I am on 40.19.22 with rev I, AFA I know when updates are needed they will be pushed automatically to the router by Verizon
This is the optimal setting unless you want to stay on an older version

Synaps

join:2000-07-09
Huntington Station, NY
reply to offthewall

I am seeing 4.19.36 available as well. Has anyone upgraded to this version yet?

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY
kudos:3
reply to offthewall

I saw 40.19.36 as available and force upgraded. Came back up fine. Don't know if anything is different.

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Someone said that IPv6 was enabled in this version. Lex Luthor See Profile, can you confirm this please? Maybe a tab in 'Advanced'.

siersema

join:2005-06-16
Huntington Beach, CA

1 recommendation

The answer to IPv6 is yes it can be enabled.
It is about time this happened.
But does it work yet? Last time I ran that test only 2 of 8 passed - now several of the IPv6 work but DNS is not working yet.
Not quite if you run the tests at »test-ipv6.com/

tedhersh3

join:2000-03-20
Dundalk, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to RolteC

Click for full size
It is not enabled on this firmware.

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY

1 recommendation

reply to siersema

said by siersema:

The answer to IPv6 is yes it can be enabled.
It is about time this happened.
But does it work yet? Last time I ran that test only 2 of 8 passed - now several of the IPv6 work but DNS is not working yet.
Not quite if you run the tests at »test-ipv6.com/

The option is there for me too now. I enabled it, but I'm still only passing 2 of the 8 tests and it doesn't look like I'm getting an IPv6 address assigned anywhere. Why not?

Also, has far as DNS not working, what if you used opendns?
»www.opendns.com/technology/ipv6/

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

1 recommendation

reply to offthewall

You can't use native IPV6 as there is nothing on the WAN side with Verizon to support this

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:14

1 recommendation

reply to Lex Luthor

Just because the BHR has IPv6 firmware doesn't mean the rest of the FiOS network is IPv6-ready...

Work in progress.....

ScrawnyB

join:2004-05-18
Carlisle, PA

1 recommendation

reply to offthewall

I'm going to take a crack at it and state that they are probably just getting prepared to do some IPv6 testing in 2013.

vzguy12

@verizon.net

It's actually in preparation for Verizon Media Server. Wireless STB's are coming soon.

offthewall
Premium
join:2002-05-22
Caldwell, NJ
reply to offthewall

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by offthewall:

I noticed today that the internet update search on the firmware page of my REV I router started to offer v 40.19.36. Previously only an older version was offered (40.19.20 I think).

Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) of going with this firmware?

Thanks.

Well the geek in me couldn't help myself. I upgraded to 40.19.36 last night. No issues so far. Son is an avid gamer and usually breaks routers - no issues there either.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to ScrawnyB

said by ScrawnyB:

I'm going to take a crack at it and state that they are probably just getting prepared to do some IPv6 testing in 2013.

Odd, I remember seeing 3Q2012 on

»www22.verizon.com/Support/Reside···8742.htm

So what happened / Why is it delayed?
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to vzguy12

said by vzguy12 :

It's actually in preparation for Verizon Media Server. Wireless STB's are coming soon.

That's nice. But I wish they enable the RJ45 ports on the STBs and allow Remote DVR without their router.

gugarci
Premium
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ
reply to offthewall

I'm a new Fios customer. Since the router is supposed to upgrade the firmware automatically can doing a force upgrade cause any issues?

Thanks.

RedCaliSS
Premium
join:2004-08-21
Murrieta, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to offthewall

my Rev I just did an auto update to 40.19.36 at 10:22 AM PST
just happened to walk out to the cabinet where everything is at, noticed the power light go red... flash... wait.. wait... came back up.. logged in saw the new firmware had been applied.
none of my port mappings, SSID, passwords, WPA2 settings, MAC access list or anything else seems to have changed, only thing I noticed is the option for IPV6 now.

VZguy13

@verizon.net
reply to offthewall

In order to support Verizon's future video service architecture VIDEO MEDIA SERVER, the routers must be upgraded to allow Multicast code download. That is what this update is all about.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by VZguy13 :

In order to support Verizon's future video service architecture VIDEO MEDIA SERVER, the routers must be upgraded to allow Multicast code download.

Quick Question for anyone with the answer. I'm running an Actiontec Rev I in performance mode for all my "N" devices, and a bridged Actiontec rev F in compatibility mode for my "G" devices. since the F is bridged, it can't update directly. Do I need to do something to update it's firmware?
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

VZguy14

@verizon.net

At this time only Rev I routers will be updated. Anything before that will not.

RolteC
0h

Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to offthewall

Just woke up and saw my rev I updated as of 12:22am.

Dec 11 00:24:44 2012System LogRebootU-Boot in NAND Flash has been updated successfully
Dec 11 00:23:29 2012System LogRebootReboot issued from TR69
Dec 11 00:23:29 2012System LogCWMP Firmware UpgradeCWMP Transfer Complete from CPE
Dec 11 00:23:29 2012System LogCWMP Firmware UpgradeCWMP Firmware Upgrade Success. New Version: 40.19.36
Dec 11 00:22:42 2012System LogCWMP Firmware UpgradeCWMP Firmware Location:<https://against-the-rules-to-show/Actiontec_MI424WR-GEN3I_40.19.36.rmt>
Dec 11 00:22:41 2012System LogCWMPConnection Request Inform 204 No Content
Dec 11 00:22:41 2012System LogCWMP Firmware UpgradeCWMP Firmware Download Response From CPE
Dec 11 00:22:41 2012System LogCWMP Firmware UpgradeCWMP Firmware Download Command from CMS
Dec 11 00:22:40 2012System LogCWMPConnection Request Inform challege response with 200 OK from server
Dec 11 00:22:37 2012System LogCWMPConnection Request Inform initial 401 chanllenge

DGGSLF

join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA
reply to VZguy13

I have a Rev F router. Will this router also be getting a firmware update or will I need to swap it out to a Rev I, in order to use the Video Media Server, once it becomes available?

RolteC
0h

Fresh Meadows, NY

Only the Rev I router will both: Receive the update and be compatible with the Verizon Media Server.

The questions now now:
What other household equipment will have to be changed; and to what?
Does it matter if you are BPON/GPON?

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

said by RolteC:

Only the Rev I router will both: Receive the update and be compatible with the Verizon Media Server.

The questions now now:

I think the current STBs only support two HD Video streams. So, how will this handle more than that? Will it have to?

-Could require a home run wiring approach to the media server
-Could require Cat6 to each TV
-Could require a faster version of MOCA

It will be interesting to see.

LLStarks
I've been here a while
Premium
join:2003-12-03
Roslyn, NY

1 recommendation

reply to VZguy14

inet addr:192.168.1.5  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fd00::8a53:omitted/64 Scope:Global
inet6 addr: fe80::8a53:omitted/64 Scope:Link
inet6 addr: fd00::d8c5:omitted/64 Scope:Global

Hmm.

--
I know before you even speak that you're wrong.

zippoboy7

join:2006-06-18
USA
reply to OwlSaver

said by OwlSaver:

said by RolteC:

The questions now now:

I think the current STBs only support two HD Video streams. So, how will this handle more than that? Will it have to?

-Could require a home run wiring approach to the media server
-Could require Cat6 to each TV
-Could require a faster version of MOCA

It will be interesting to see.

Personally I would prefer option #2, I would rather use Cat5e or Cat6 over Coax any day of the week. Add the option of PoE to that and its a system that would be perfect.

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA
reply to offthewall

Any thoughts on IPv6 options to select? Specifically:

-In 1, I set it to Enabled.
-In 2, I set it DHCPv6, and Obtain IPv6 DNS Server address automatically
-In 3, I set it to Stateful and left everything as is

Any thoughts?

claibourne

join:2011-07-04
Garland, TX
reply to offthewall

Mine auto-updated a week or so ago. Besides the addition of the IPv6 option, UPnP and IGMP Proxy have been removed from the "Advanced Settings" page. I haven't noticed any other changes.

Flojomojo

join:2000-11-06
Silver Spring, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

I'm happy they removed the IGMP proxy -- it breaks Apple Airplay and was tricky to troubleshoot.

Verizon doesn't seem to have turned on ipv6 for home FIOS yet.

For what it's worth: OpenDNS has an ipv6 sandbox, but entering their DNS entries doesn't help at this point.

»www.opendns.com/technology/ipv6/

jb1146

@squirebox.com
reply to offthewall

Regarding Rev G router. I received an update to 30.20.2 over the weekend. It was done by Verizon. I was told that the Rev G is supposed to support Media Server as well.