spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mdpeterman
join:2010-10-10
Pflugerville, TX

mdpeterman

New to Uverse - How will this work?

My friend is having Uverse installed soon in a new place. He's getting UVerse 200 TV and 24/3 Internet. He is having the whole-home DVR installed as well as two wireless receivers for two other rooms. What hardware will have to be installed for this setup? The two wireless boxes are obvious, but is the whole-home DVR and wireless router all one unit? He uses a Time Capsule as a backup disks for his computer so that will need to remain on the network. Do the wireless receivers operate over the same wireless SSID as the home network or a separate wireless network just for TV? With that setup can you also get a static IP allocation from AT&T?
Thanks for your help!

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

All of these questions have been addressed in previous posts...

Google is your friend
mdpeterman
Pflugerville, TX

mdpeterman

Well i was looking both on this forum and AT&Ts own forums and I couldn't find one topic that had what I was looking for.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

It is certainly all on existing topics, but anyway...

Modem will be, depending on distance from the VRAD (or if it is FTTP) either a 2Wire/Pace 3800/3801 if Single Pair FTTN or FTTP U-Verse, or a 2Wire/Pace i3812 iNID if Pair Bonded FTTN U-Verse

Your DVR will be either a Motorola or Cisco DVR -- which make depends on market, and which model depends on what your local technicians have available to them. All DVRs support the WHDVR system.

The Wireless STBs connect to a Cisco Access Point that is dedicated to the WiFi STBs -- separate from the 2Wire/Pace WiFi network used for Internet access

Static IPs are available on U-Verse for an additional monthly fee

There is no official support from AT&T on the Time Capsule device -- the customer is responsible for any setup of any NAS, as it is not part of the U-Verse service

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai to mdpeterman

to mdpeterman
www.att.com/esupport/uverse-user-guides/
+ search feature on this forum for the more detailed questions.
mdpeterman
Pflugerville, TX

mdpeterman to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
Thank you!!
mdpeterman

mdpeterman to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
Click for full size
Alcatel-Lucent Box Pic 1
Click for full size
Alcatel-Lucent Box Pic 2
More info desired..

A friend of mine is moving into a new apartment complex in February. I'm helping him get everything worked out "technically".
In each of the units in the utility closet there is a Alcatel-Lucent gray box with a blue fiber entering it as well as a gray power cable going to a white Alcatel-Lucent UPS unit. It's a model ALCLF3AF18D8 (I can post a pic if needed). Inside that box there were 2 breakouts for two phone lines and an Ethernet port. The units are only wired with telephone jacks. There is no coax or Ethernet cable run anywhere in the units. The utility closet is also not near any of the bedrooms or the living room. How will everything get connected? He ordered 1 whole home DVR and two wireless receivers and Max Turbo Internet.

I really appreciate your explanation of how this will work.
Hope you had a great holiday!

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to mdpeterman

Premium Member

to mdpeterman
I would need to see the wiring behind the double wide wall plate above the Alcatel-Lucent device (known as an ONT - Optical Network Terminal; and this is a FTTP residence)

In new construction, I would almost bet the phone wiring is 4 Pair Cat 5. If so, that Cat 5 can be wired to support the U-Verse service over the existing "phone" lines
UverseTech2
join:2012-08-04

UverseTech2 to mdpeterman

to mdpeterman
Whomever installed this GPON ONT did a half-ass job. I have personally installed hundereds of FTTP jobs and never saw the fiber exposed like this. The fiber should have been run down another foot or so as to come in behind the ONT. Other than that you will not have the issues most UVerse customers get with copper.

Do yourself a favor and protect that tiny blue fiber cable with something, if it gets snagged on a hanger it could be damaged easily.

You probably have a smart panel in this closet as well and the tech would connect the ONT to your smart panel via ethernet and send the signal to the dedicated jack.

They could also mount the RG the the wall, make them use the smaller black RG, 3801, the 3800, big silver box, has been outdated and refurbed since early 2010. They just seem to cause more issues than not.

You are in a Cisco market I believe and with that said you should have no issues with the dvr. The motorola dvr's have constant issues with the dvr software designed by MS, and they are sensitive to HPNA issues over the coax. The cisco boxes work practically on thin air and the dvrs seem to never die. I'm sure they do but the Moto boxes (dvr) will crap out for sure.
mdpeterman
Pflugerville, TX

mdpeterman

So I investigated a little more by taking some wall plates off. The apt has 6 phone jacks installed, and luckily all of them are home runs back to the utility closet. I took off a single gang plate in the utility room and there were six cat 5e runs hanging behind that plate ready to be terminated and hooked up. All that will need to be done is terminate those Cat 5e cables in the utility room and remove the RJ-11 plates and replace them with RJ-45 plates.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to UverseTech2

Premium Member

to UverseTech2
If it isn't damaged already by being run under the wall plate.

Also, will he won't have the "copper issues", he will have the same lame limitations of Uverse FTTP intstalls... 18/1 service forever. (unless things are very different at this apartment complex.)

(Like the nut that ran our T1 (naked 28awg wires) with metal screw-down clips. *DING* crushed the wires, shorting the line. plus, HDSL doesn't like having a large metal tab touching either of the wires.)
mdpeterman
Pflugerville, TX

mdpeterman

FTTP installs aren't still limited to 18/1 are they?? We were able to order the 24/3.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by mdpeterman:

FTTP installs aren't still limited to 18/1 are they?? We were able to order the 24/3.

Depends if it is BPON (18/1.5 Mbps max available) or GPON (24/3 Mbps max available)

I don't know of any GPON FTTP in my area, but that is a different model ONT than I typically see also
mdpeterman
Pflugerville, TX

mdpeterman

That is so weird considering BPON is clearly more than capable of delivering those speeds. Any ideas if they are still doing new BPON installs? This complex is still mostly under construction. Uverse was just added to the buildings this fall. Hoping it's GPON.
Anyone know if the ONT I showed is GPON?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

The inside of the cover door should have the model number of the ONT as well as whether it is BPON/GPON -- I assume that is a GPON model, as it looks a little different than the BPON ONT models used in the areas I work

BPON installs are done in areas where the existing network is BPON. I assume any complete new builds will be done GPON, but that is in the hands of the engineers
UverseTech2

UverseTech2 to mdpeterman

to mdpeterman
This is definitely a GPON device you can tell by the two quick connect terminals. They use these in replace of the BPON because they can be activated with no fiber connection, unlike the BPON. It's easy on everyone, just plug a pair into the top terminal or disconnect the module and connect rj11 directly into GPON. With the fiber connection disconnected, like in the pic, connect a buttset and hit

#port number**, and it's activated. The BPON needs a live connection at the terminal.

Yes these run 24/3 all day, they are slowly replacing the BPON devices.

wizkid6
join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

wizkid6

Is the ONT in the pic a 7342 O-series?
UverseTech2

UverseTech2

Click for full size
Its a GPON unit. The O series attached is a BPON, the one that has to have an active connection to activate. It is provisioned online.
Craiger
join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO

1 edit

Craiger

Just curious where do they install the RG and battery backup? The NID and RG both have battery backups right? Are the NID the ONT two separate units and is the RG inside the ONT?
UverseTech2

UverseTech2

The RG can be placed either in the closet near ONT and plug ethernet direct, or patch thru wiring panel to another location in the house. The battery is installed in the power supply unit.
Craiger
Chesterfield, MO

4 edits

Craiger

Is the ONT, Wiring Panel, RG and Power Supply installed right next to each other?
mdpeterman
Pflugerville, TX

mdpeterman

Do AT&T U-verse techs have RJ45 wall plates on their trucks? As I listed above, Cat5e is running to all of the wall plates in the apartment, but they are RJ-11 wall plates. Should I replace them before install or will AT&T do it for me?
UverseTech2

UverseTech2 to Craiger

to Craiger
I do it like that and use a switch as well and connect thru smart panel if there is one, or just take the cat 5 that's just hanging and put rj45 ends on and plug these into the switch. I usually carry enough mounts to either mount all on the wall or a shelf if there is one.
Craiger
Chesterfield, MO

4 edits

Craiger

Post deleted, I saw what I was looking for online.