jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada
(Software) pfSense
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

jtl999

How to hookup a Optik PVR.

I am thinking about getting Telus Optik services after they roll out the 50mbps plans in 2013. My question is what is the best way to hook up a Optik PVR to the Actiontech modem and how to step by step. I looked at the manual for the HCB1000 HPNA device and it was confusing where to hook up each cable. In the worst case I will run a Ethernet cable through the wall.

nss_tech
join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB

nss_tech

HPNA? I personally prefer ethernet. You should not need to use a separate HPNA as the gateway and the PVR both have built-in HPNAs and the coax connections for it.

jtl999
canada

jtl999

So no adapters are needed as in I just run a coax from the modem and then the wall to the box?
Mike_C
join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC

Mike_C

As long as the outside line from Shaw is disconnected from the coax in the house, that should be all you need.

que_ball
join:2004-05-11
Edmonton, AB

que_ball to jtl999

to jtl999
If you have access to Ethernet wiring from end to end it is the best choice. If you use existing RG6 coax that is already in your walls with the HPNA support that is built into both devices then that's the typical setup.

So if you were building a new house, run network cable to all points of the house where a TV could be located.

If you are like most people, just use the built in RG6 cables your old cable or satellite service has left in the wall.

Why is the Ethernet better? In most cases you would never tell the difference so usually it's not worth any extra effort to install.
Sometimes the TV coax wiring in the walls is the lower quality RG59 cable which can still work but at much shorter distance and with possible problems due to lower streaming speeds not keeping up with the content. Thats when you would probably notice that ethernet is the superior choice. If you have good quality RG6 cables from end to end its going to be fine.

jtl999
canada

jtl999

I can easily add more Ethernet wiring. Thanks for the options.