Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
reply to montana_sat

Re: [Installer] Did Jupiter Just Move???

said by montana_sat:

If you are using a SmartPhone app for this, you really can't count on them...

I have both an iPhone5 and an iPad4, neither is accurate within hands-on distance from the ODU; too much metal. Back off about six feet with a smartphone or tablet. It makes eyeballing the azimuth a little more difficult, but you'll get more consistent (if not more accurate) results.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
reply to FTRBRDBND

said by FTRBRDBND :

Mother of god...

True North? Magnetic North? I have no idea, now I wish I did!

That 20 degree deviation is significant and would explain parts of this...

Again, thank you for the feedback!

You're welcome. Sorry if I was a little harsh with you earlier, it's now clear that Frontier is at fault. Only Hughes or Hughes-authorized training centers can actually certify an individual installer. Unfortunately there are some dealers and resellers who cheap out by only paying for one certification, then shortcut the system with "in-house training" for their employees.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to grohgreg

said by grohgreg:

This brings me to a question about the pointing angles predicted by the modem. Is the Azimuth predicated on true north? or magnetic north? As you can see from the attached map, the difference between magnetic and true in this country can be over 20 degrees. I say this because - if you use a compass - you might need to consider magnetic deviation. If you use an app on a smart phone - it might be a good idea to check the settings, to see if it's displaying magnetic or true.

//greg//

The modem shows magnetic. I say that with some degree of certainty after many comparisons in different locations. In my earlier post in this thread I was careful to note that I was giving the magnetic values. From Cincinnati both values are (rounded to nearest degree):

Spaceway3: 196 True, 202 Magnetic
ES17: 213 True, 219 Magnetic

Either way I cannot imagine a shot from SW Ohio at 202-203 true or magnetic being ES17, if the value was being correctly displayed.

There are localized variations in this country that can make a compass get downright squirrely.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to grohgreg

Greg, do you know the date of your declination map? I would guess it is old. The US and Canadian services publish new values every 5 years, with tables that estimate the following 5, so I plug those into my own apps like DSLookAngle and DSSatTool whenever new ones come out.

The Map for 2010 (latest full data year) shows the zero line somewhat further west than yours does, and in particular shows NO places in the 48 states with declination of 20 degrees. It can be seen here: »www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/img/Dec···p_US.png
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit

Don't have a clue Don. Clearly the OP had never seen one, regardless of age. As such, the chart I uploaded was strictly for demonstration purposes. I don't actually use the charts myself. The compass app I use for my iPhone/iPad has mag dev on/off. So I I'm reasonably confident it's using current and updateable data.

//greg//