Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to bt

Re: [Hockey] Poll -- Will there be hockey?

said by bt:

A family of 4, with food a drink, can go to a Sens game for $99(+tx) - though that's for nosebleed seats against a team with a small draw (and staying away from the beer).

Really? How much do the tickets sell for? That would be less money than seeing a Kitchener Rangers game. (it would be about $110 just for four tickets -- no food)
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
It's a package deal. 4 upper-300L tickets, 4 medium drinks, 4 hotdogs.

I was slightly wrong on the price - it includes the tax, and all extra fees except the "convenience fee".

The big "catch" is the limited game selection - last year it was available for 7 games, vs Columbus, Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay, NYI x2 and Buffalo. All were "Bronze" pricing level games, except Buffalo.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
said by bt:

It's a package deal. 4 upper-300L tickets, 4 medium drinks, 4 hotdogs.

I was slightly wrong on the price - it includes the tax, and all extra fees except the "convenience fee".

The big "catch" is the limited game selection - last year it was available for 7 games, vs Columbus, Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay, NYI x2 and Buffalo. All were "Bronze" pricing level games, except Buffalo.

Not bad. It would be cheaper to drive up to Ottawa ($120 in fuel), overnight stay at a hotel ($100 w/ hotwire) plus $100 in eating out, $100 for tickets, and $50 for each kid = $520, than going to a single game in Toronto..
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

bt

canada
Well, that is compared to Toronto. Every time someone does a "cost of a night out" comparison across the league, the Leafs come in noticeably higher than the 2nd most expensive team.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
And with Robbers and Bhell owning the team it's only going to get more expensive.

Look for a MLSE purchase recovery fee coming to a phone bill near you soon.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to bt
That's not bad at all. When I was living in Edmonton I don't think they offered anything like that. The nosebleed gallery tickets were already getting close to $75 (after fees) for most games. Lower bowl tickets were over $200. They could sell out every game, which a non-playoff caliber team. No need to have ticket deals I guess. The other thing that bugged me was how few individual game tickets there were. The bulk go to seasons ticket holders. Then they sell "minipacks". Which is basically code for making ticket packs with a game or two from a popular team, with tickets from the less desirable teams. This way to get tickets to a Detroit game, or a Penguins game you have to buy tickets for a Minnesota Game, or a stars game or something. That's how they sellout the tickets to the less desirable games. No real discount, but they just force the selling of those games with better games.

By the time you get past the season tickets and the minipacks there aren't may individual tickets left. Two years ago (the last year I was there) I pulled up lower bowl tickets for $260/ticket. Way too much. I put them back and searched again. There was nothing left

bt

canada

2 edits
It's relatively new for Ottawa as well. They only started offering that pack for select games in the 2010 half of the 09-10 season. And it's also a full "Family night". So there are a bunch of extra kids entertainers and activities (buskers, face painting, etc) at the arena on those game nights.

It really is a fantastic deal for a family, especially with younger kids.

Cheapest normal ticket for Ottawa is $20 ($18 for standing room) for "Bronze" games, before all of the taxes and fees - which can add up. Buying the tickets at the box office is an extra $5.25 per ticket. Buying the tickets online to print at home or pickup at an outlet is an extra $9.25 per ticket, and an extra $3.50 per order. All taxable, of course. So for 4 tickets bought online, you're looking at about $135 after tax.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

There would be a lot of cities that could handle teams like that:

3 in Montreal area,

Pretty sure I might have missed a city or two in Canada that could support 10,000+ per game.

At least round here in Ontario, London and Kitchener have shown that they can support hockey by selling out game after game. IIRC, Windsor sells out too. We'd need to keep at least the original 4 US teams, and Buffalo and Los Angeles too. Although some other US cities are deserving too...

Montreal couldnt support more than 1 team, we are sadly a habs town not a hockey town. We have lost more junior teams than i can count, now the rumors of the bulldogs moving here for me just scream failure.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
said by telco_mtl:

Montreal couldnt support more than 1 team, we are sadly a habs town not a hockey town. We have lost more junior teams than i can count, now the rumors of the bulldogs moving here for me just scream failure.

Montreal isn't alone in that; Toronto is a Leafs town, not a hockey town. Even in the midst of an NHL strike the Leafs' own farm team, the AHL's Toronto Marlies, aren't selling out, and one of the OHL teams in the area, the Brampton Battalion, is moving to North Bay at the end of the season.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
Do a lot of people know about it though?

I know the smaller games won't get the same recognition as NHL games just because NHL is in lockout... but if given time and some heavy publicity in the first year or two, and knowing that NHL is not coming back, I bet both Toronto and Montreal can easily give up the Habs and Leafs and continue to enjoy hockey.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
said by ekster:

I know the smaller games won't get the same recognition as NHL games just because NHL is in lockout... but if given time and some heavy publicity in the first year or two, and knowing that NHL is not coming back, I bet both Toronto and Montreal can easily give up the Habs and Leafs and continue to enjoy hockey.

That's just my point -- if they were HOCKEY fans, they'd know about the choices they have. If they only care about Leafs, they won't know because they aren't interested in anything other than the Leafs. The Marlies have been there since 2005 and they are closely tied to the 'big team' (with constant references in the media to players going up/down between the two), so if someone doesn't know about them I think it's because they don't want to.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to J E F F
I used to have Devils season tickets in the late 80's and early 90's. Tickets were around $22 for the first row of the second level, right behind the TV cameras. Now tickets are so expensive, I rarely go to a game. I didn't go to any games at all last year, even with the Devils playoff run.

Last time I was at the Prudential Center, I noticed the cheaper (less than $70) sections were sold-out, but the $150 sections had a lot of empty seats.

I went to 3 or 4 consecutive Expos-Mets games in 1991 when I was in Montreal for the Jazz Festival. (I even got a foul ball.) Expos attendance was so low, we just went right before the game and got tickets a few rows from the field. It was really a joke.

For your poll, I voted 'October 2013'. Although at this point, I wouldn't mind if the league disbanded. Anyone remember the World Hockey Association?

Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver
reply to J E F F
Professional sports and tv in general are over rated. You pay a premium and never get your money worth. I grew up in maple leaf territory but never had a chance to go cause they were always sold out.

I can honestly say that I don't hockey at all. I bet be back for next season, but this season is probably a write off.

highwire2007

join:2008-05-17
Nepean, ON
reply to J E F F
I voted "I don't care." I fully expected to be in the minority. I'm surprised by the results.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Kardinal
Some good arguments here. And it's sad that the Marlies and the Hamilton Bulldogs are failures, though I'd argue that Hamilton isn't much of a hockey town. Also sad that the teams in Mississauga and Brampton are having a hard time getting traction. It's not like that in Kitchener or London though, very good turn out for all of their games.
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Bob4
If Montreal would have had a decent park it might have been a little better. Olympic Stadium is no place for sports, let alone baseball.
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to highwire2007
said by highwire2007:

I voted "I don't care." I fully expected to be in the minority. I'm surprised by the results.

Only the elite can afford hockey at majors cities in Canada. For us regular bums, we can't get tickets anyway.
--

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

If Montreal would have had a decent park it might have been a little better. Olympic Stadium is no place for sports, let alone baseball.

This was when they managed to have the roof closed. The indoor air quality was horrible. It was hazy, stuffy, and smelled bad.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
That roof was a joke. I think they got it working a handful of times. What a stupid, stupid concept for a retractible roof.
Well, not like I was ever a Expos fan, it's just that I was hoping for a 401 series World Series.
--

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

This was when they managed to have the roof closed. The indoor air quality was horrible. It was hazy, stuffy, and smelled bad.

That's exactly why Vancouver took the mushroom dome off BC Place.
Too warm and too humid. It was like the air inside was the original air
from when it was built.

I was at the CFL Western Finals game and the new roof is fantastic!

FaxCap

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

Some good arguments here. And it's sad that the Marlies and the Hamilton Bulldogs are failures, though I'd argue that Hamilton isn't much of a hockey town. Also sad that the teams in Mississauga and Brampton are having a hard time getting traction. It's not like that in Kitchener or London though, very good turn out for all of their games.

One word: Marketing

I live in Mississauga and don't see a lot of marketing for the Steelheads.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

said by ekster:

That's just my point -- if they were HOCKEY fans, they'd know about the choices they have. If they only care about Leafs, they won't know because they aren't interested in anything other than the Leafs. The Marlies have been there since 2005 and they are closely tied to the 'big team' (with constant references in the media to players going up/down between the two), so if someone doesn't know about them I think it's because they don't want to.

same here when the rocket was playing at the bell center we were 300 in the stands some nights, meanwhile in the same league in quebec they were drawing 10 000