spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

anonyalag

@teksavvy.com

$95 for upgrading DSL speed? Really now?

I'm a happy DSL (mlppp) user from teksavvy for about a year but now that my condo have faster speeds available, I wanted to switch. But I found out that switching would cost me $95 for each line that I have!! That's almost $200!!

Is there anyway to get around this?

Poser

join:2002-07-28
Why is there a $95 dollar fee to make the changes?

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
said by Poser:

Why is there a $95 dollar fee to make the changes?

Going from Legacy to FTTN requires a full Bell install, and for that they charge. Basically, a technician has to come out, put in a POTS splitter (regardless of need), and then bless it. You get to pay for that.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

anonyalag

@teksavvy.com
reply to Poser
not sure, they said it's an activation fee.

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
Unfortunately yes, that is correct. (although not all techs perform a blessing)

The $95.00 activation fee is charged to us by Bell regardless of whether the customer may already have service. And yes, if you have service already dispatch will still be required (2 separate technicians between the hours of 12 and 9)

Regards,
Keith
--
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Pennyarcades

@start.ca
If thats the case, then how is Distributel able to do it for a $29 dollar activation fee?

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by Pennyarcades :

If thats the case, then how is Distributel able to do it for a $29 dollar activation fee?

They eat the other $65.

S25onic

join:2009-11-16
reply to anonyalag
Yeah... My dad switch over to comwave with out telling me and he asked them for a faster speed than what we had with teksavvy. They placed the same exact speed and we asked them to upgrade. I ask if it was going to cost anything and the person said 90 dollars lmao. I was like NOPE going back to teksavvy.
Expand your moderator at work

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
reply to TSI Keith

Re: $95 for upgrading DSL speed? Really now?

said by TSI Keith:

Unfortunately yes, that is correct. (although not all techs perform a blessing)

The $95.00 activation fee is charged to us by Bell regardless of whether the customer may already have service. And yes, if you have service already dispatch will still be required (2 separate technicians between the hours of 12 and 9)

Regards,
Keith

I'd dispute the charge if the blessing wasn't performed :P

The whole forced "full install" is a load of crap. As far as I'm concerned, if it's good to the DEMARC then the ISP should be able to take it from there. If they want to contract with Telcon or another contractor, or send their own technician, then so be it.

The Commission needs to re-visit that part of the decision.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
kudos:7
reply to anonyalag

Re: $95 for upgrading DSL speed? Really now?

I thought the $95 fee was for upgrading to the VDSL tiers.

UnixMan

join:2012-10-14
reply to TSI Keith

...required (2 separate technicians between the hours of 12 and 9)

Here is a small correction, Keith: it requires 4 separate technicians because of MLPPP, which is unfortunately so stupid

As for OP I would recommend to be very very patient. In my case the switch took more than 2 weeks because those technicians never showed up. And If you call TekSavvy after that they of course will open a ticket with the warning that you may pay $87 for this service which is again so stupid and makes customers piss off because it wasn't their fault at all.

After all this crap happened to me only one adequate technician finally showed up, listened to my story, told me what he personally thinks about these companies by spinning a finger around his temple, entered my house and did all job including VDSL signal validation on both lines I have. It took for him like ~10 minutes in total.

bunnyhero

join:2005-08-24
Toronto, ON
reply to anonyalag
i upgraded during the free promotion, saving the fee, but now that i'm moving, i am going to be charged the $95 to have my current speed at my new address! it makes me want to consider switching to a new ISP instead...