uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to avguser

Re: Ipod Connection cable to Stereo Receiver?

That cable, or that type, works, but the volume is tricky when done this way. You're using the headphone output, which is powered. Now that I think about, I wonder if connecting it to a "Phono" input would be better. Of course, modern receivers may or may not have "Phono" inputs....

airwavz
Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1
A phono input is designed for EXTREMELY low voltage output (average of .5 millivolt) - a headphone output into a phono input would yield nothing but distortion. A headphone out should go into (with the iPod's volume set to no more than a quarter-of-maximum) a LINE input only.
--
Original account from 2000 - given up in protest (I don't believe in 'Political Correctness') - but DSLR is STILL my home page...

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
Ooops, I knew there was something different about phono inputs but I didn't try it with ours either. I just know that when I tried it, you had to set the iPod's volume just right or it was too "noisy", if I recall correctly. Problem was, I could never get it to play at a nice, loud volume.

Similar issue occurs when people try and connect them via the headphone output to their car stereo. I bought a proper interface for our Odyssey that uses the iPod's bottom connector. It works perfectly this way (for one, it disables the iPod's own volume control) and it also keeps it charged.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
said by Hall:

Similar issue occurs when people try and connect them via the headphone output to their car stereo.

I'm pretty sure most (if not all) cars are set up for this to behave like LINE input and not like PHONO input. At least that's been the case for cars I've driven that are 10 years or newer...
--
♬ Music is life ♬