Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
reply to floydb1982

Re: What happened to 2.88MB Floppy Disks

Nobody was interested.

I used 155MB mini CD-RWs formatted using DirectCD [UDF format, read/write]. A mini CD-RW in a jewel case is the same size as a 3.5" floppy. They were much more plentiful and much less expensive than 2.88MB floppies, Zips or SuperDisks [120 or 240MB floptical, looked like an overweight floppy].

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
Click for full size
I still have my ZIP drives... and disks. I remember they also suffered from a thing called "The Click Of Death". Thankfully neither of my units were affected.
I had the external parallel port version which still works to this day... along with an internal drive. The last operating system that supported these pieces of hardware natively, was Windows XP 64-bit Edition. I retired them after Vista and onwards. I could not get the external version to work in any later OS.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by Dustyn:

I still have my ZIP drives...

I had both, as well. Long gone to computer recycling.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Dustyn
Same here, I still have both my Zip drives (Parallel and IDE) as well as a 1GB SparQ drive.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to Dustyn
I have an external SCSI Zip drive in my closet that was given to me a few years ago. The last time I tried it with my old Mac, it worked fine. I also have another one (external parallel I think) at work, boxed and shrink-wrapped.
--
KI6RIT

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

I still have my ZIP drives... and disks. I remember they also suffered from a thing called "The Click Of Death". Thankfully neither of my units were affected.
I had the external parallel port version which still works to this day... along with an internal drive. The last operating system that supported these pieces of hardware natively, was Windows XP 64-bit Edition. I retired them after Vista and onwards. I could not get the external version to work in any later OS.

I still have two zip drives installed. They are for my Quicken backup.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes