join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to ConstantineM

Re: [General] Google voice going paid?

said by ConstantineM :

Mnemonic phone numbers, without any "select a state/city" bullshit.

Humm, most of my DIDs are vanity / phonewords. These numbers are never easy to get and I pay for it. I've jumped through hoops getting these numbers from one provider (who holds the prefix in the area I want) and then porting them to a VoIP provider that is a million times cheaper. Porting always seem to be a hassle too, but long story short, I get the numbers after a ton of work on my part.

It is what it is. Give the VoIP guys a break. How many guys (and gals) our age give a sh*t about texting from a computer?

--
Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by bbbc:

It is what it is. Give the VoIP guys a break. How many guys (and gals) our age give a sh*t about texting from a computer?

Really? I thought SMS was THE most important feature you could get in VoIP service.

ConstantineM

join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA
reply to bbbc

mnemonic phone numbers

said by bbbc:

Humm, most of my DIDs are vanity / phonewords. These numbers are never easy to get and I pay for it. I've jumped through hoops getting these numbers from one provider (who holds the prefix in the area I want) and then porting them to a VoIP provider that is a million times cheaper. Porting always seem to be a hassle too, but long story short, I get the numbers after a ton of work on my part.

Which provider did you get those numbers from? I've asked Verizon Wireless, Sprint, AT&T Mobility and T-Mobile USA for letting me choose at least the last 4 digits of the number, and none of them said it's possible.

Which is really dumb. I'm not asking for 0000, 1111 or 7777; I'm asking for a random number that spells my name in any area code within the region; they surely have lots of such numbers, and they certainly couldn't care less who they'd give such a number to; yet they still don't offer such a simple service.

Fido Solutions in Canada does offer it; dunno if other operators do, too.