how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ender3rd

join:2001-07-15
Connecticut

[CT] 7 downstream and 4 upstream bonded channels

My three year old Motorola SB-6120 finally bricked itself after a week or two of weirdness. When I installed a new Motorola SGB-6580 yesterday, much to my surprise it synched up and showed 7 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels. Previously, this area had 3 downstream and 1 upstream channel. At any rate, it certainly makes a huge difference with uploads and sustained downloads. Gaming pings are outstanding. Nicely done Cox!

--
Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them. (Charlie Reese)

JohnDrenZ
Premium
join:2000-04-03
Phoenix, AZ
Very nice upload! We have 8 downstream channels and only 3 upstream channels where I'm at in Phoenix. I would love to have the addition upstream channel which I don't see happening anytime soon since the only competitor here in the valley is century link.

Here is what I get with a Cisco dpc3010

Ender3rd

Connecticut
Click for full size
Borderline SNR
That's a very heavy duty download you have there! When they first rolled out DOCSIS 3.0 here I would see around 55 Mb/s but it was reined in to 33 Mb/s a few weeks later. My location is at "the end of the line" for the Cox system in this area. In fact, my house is the last house on the last street and as a result the signal levels and SNR suffer at times. To compensate for the low signal levels on the street they installed a preamp at the tap in the basement.

I suspect that there is an 8th DS channel but the SNR probably is too low for it to lock up. As you can see from the screenshot it ranges from 33.8 dB to 34.8 dB which is below the 35 dB minimum in the FAQ. Whenever I bring that up with the local techs they smile and say, "Yeah, we know, but as long as it's above 32 dB it will hang in there fine." That seems to be true as my connection is very stable and exhibits no packet loss or ping issues when gaming and the downloads/uploads are reliably excellent. Since it seems to be working well, I'll let it ride. I do keep an eye on the "uncorrectable error" count though!

--
Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them. (Charlie Reese)

ame101

join:2002-05-02
Southington, CT
reply to Ender3rd

Southington, CT

ame101

Southington, CT

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to JohnDrenZ
said by JohnDrenZ:

Very nice upload! We have 8 downstream channels and only 3 upstream channels where I'm at in Phoenix. I would love to have the addition upstream channel which I don't see happening anytime soon since the only competitor here in the valley is century link.

Here is what I get with a Cisco dpc3010

you're getting speeds above your cap. another upstream channel will do nothing for you.
--
Despises any post with strings.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to JohnDrenZ
I wouldn't get too excited over upstream speeds over 5.5mbps as they are just powerboost speedtest poisioning.
--
Despises any post with strings.

ame101

Southington, CT
reply to Ender3rd

Caeguy

@mycingular.net
reply to ame101
Are you guys still seeing bonded channels from Cox? I lost this about a couple weeks ago and don't know why. SB6121 has been rebooted a number of times and has no effect.

Ender3rd

Connecticut
I'm not sure where you are located, but what you are describing is what happened to my SB6120. About a week ago it began acting squirrely and then dropped back to one channel down and up. When a Cox contractor stopped by to see what was going on he tried a Cisco docsis 3.0 modem to test the connection and it immediately synched up with 7 down and 4 up. I replaced my SB6120 with a Motorola SBG6580 and it synchs up with 7 down and 4 up. You might want to call support and have someone stop by and check.
--