spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

joe1967

@bell.ca

[Cable] Getting modem+router installed by the kitchen okay?

Evening folks, I will be getting my teksavvy cable internet 18mb download service installed soon and I want to know if its fine to get the modem installed beside the kitchen. I will also be installing a router there as well. The reason I ask this is one, there is no cable in any of my bedrooms besides the family room, and second, will microwaves cause interference with my modem and router - causing disturbance in service. The microwave in the kitchen is very close to the table where the modem will sit (practically on opposite sides separated by drywall). I am not very knowledgeable in this technical things but I have a hunch that it might end up costing me later on to get someone to run another cable so I can move the modem.

The other option would be to just ask the cable install gentleman to run a cable to my sons bedroom (which only has the bell dsl line) and have the modem and router set up there.

thanks for any advise folks.

S25onic

join:2009-11-16
I am no expert however I think having modem/router in kitchen is not a great idea. Modems/routers can over heat and being in a kitchen would make it worse. And yes I do believe microwave will ruin the signal on wireless.

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
reply to joe1967
The microwave will definitely kill the wireless whenever it's on, but the modem will be okay (it's more shielded and it's much more difficult to induce noise on a wired medium with microwave radiation).

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
said by squircle:

The microwave will definitely kill the wireless whenever it's on, but the modem will be okay (it's more shielded and it's much more difficult to induce noise on a wired medium with microwave radiation).

Yes you are gonna kill the wireless every time, but I dont think it matters incredibly much where it goes, it will always cause interference. I have my router in the basement and the microwave still kills it.

I have done spectrum analysis in large homes as far away as I can get from the microwave and still pick up substantial interference anyways. Most microwaves transmit at over 900 watts of power, and dont do an incredible job of shielding it all out.

Hard for a router with less than a watt of power to overcome it.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
reply to joe1967
Wouldn't a newer 5GHz router do the trick as far as the microwave is concerned? Mind you, all the clients (computers, iPads, Wi-Fi toys) would need to have 5GHz capability too.

--
Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON

2 edits
No, because the 5GHz band are harmonics of the wireless frequencies in the 2.4 GHz band; that's why there can be single-antenna systems that can tune both frequency bands very well (because an antenna that is a multiple of the 5 GHz wavelength (say λ) will also be 2λ 2.4 GHz wavelengths long.

After consulting a signal processing expert (roommate), I've been informed that I'm incorrect (still got 4 years to go in my degree, lots of time to learn).

What it will do is create more noise in the microwave band, which has the potential to lower the SNR of the wireless signal, possibly to a point where the signal blends in with the noise (and causes slowness/total loss of connectivity). Empirically speaking, I can say that my microwave oven significantly interferes with both 2.4 and 5 GHz band wireless even at a distance of 5-10m (router is 20-30m LOS).