Search similar:

uniqs
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

1 recommendation

19579823 (banned)

[Rant] LED lights are ugly crap

Im sick of looking at christmas trees and many other things now WITH THESE UGLY SMALL LED LIGHTS!!!!!

I remember in the 80s and earlier when we had BEAUTIFUL COLOURED LIGHTS!! (Similar to those shown here)

I cant stand looking @ our tree now,the lights are disgusting and not pleasant to look at!

And these stupid cop cars with these LED lights... HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!

Whats happend to this once beautiful place we called earth??

EVERYTHING HAS BECOME CHEAP/DISGUSTING GARBAGE and the worst thing is: PEOPLE ARE @ FAULT FOR THIS..... People didnt realise HOW GOOD we had it in the 80s and STAND UP FOR IT WHEN THINGS STARTED TO BE REPLACED WITH CRAP.. (Not that they could help it,most have been re-programmed to be willing pawns for the elite)

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

3 recommendations

Xioden

Premium Member

So you're complaining about what happened to this beautiful place we call earth, while complaining millions of homes are no longer using strings of Christmas lights where 1-2 individual bulbs used the same amount of electricity as entire strings of LED lights do?

And those "stupid cop cars" now don't light up entire streets with their emergency lights on, but still accomplish the same thing.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

But they arent as nice
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

2 recommendations

Bob4

Click for full size
The Philips lights on the right are every bit as nice (and even more vivid) than incandescent mini-bulbs.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

Still make damned light pollution. Too many of either kind.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

1 recommendation

Bob4

said by carpetshark3:

Still make damned light pollution. Too many of either kind.

And a hearty "Bah Humbug!" to you too, sir.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

1 recommendation

jadinolf to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re: [Rant] LED lights are ugly crap

Bear in mind that when I was a kid, all we had were candles to place on the tree.

Now that was scary.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to 19579823

MVM

to 19579823
Maybe not readily available from walk-in stores, but you can find old fashion strings of lights from online retailers.

I've purchased lights from these online retailers:

»www.christmasdepot.com/C ··· +Lights/

»www.christmas-lights-online.com/

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

Im sick of looking at christmas trees and many other things now WITH THESE UGLY SMALL LED LIGHTS!!!!!

I remember in the 80s and earlier when we had BEAUTIFUL COLOURED LIGHTS!! (Similar to those shown here)

I cant stand looking @ our tree now,the lights are disgusting and not pleasant to look at!

EVERYTHING HAS BECOME CHEAP/DISGUSTING GARBAGE and the worst thing is: PEOPLE ARE @ FAULT FOR THIS..... People didnt realise HOW GOOD we had it in the 80s and STAND UP FOR IT WHEN THINGS STARTED TO BE REPLACED WITH CRAP.. (Not that they could help it,most have been re-programmed to be willing pawns for the elite)

If you don't like them, then why did you buy them?
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

quote:
I could answer that with great accuracy, but I got in trouble for it last time.

Those C7 bulbs are neat for outdoor use, but I think they are a fire hazard when placed on a christmas tree because they get really hot. That's probably why the LED bulbs are gaining favor.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran

Premium Member

Sometimes, during the winter, I can heat my computer room with just the exhaust from my computers and the heat generated by a couple strings of christmas lights. Makes it festive and warm at the same time.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

5 recommendations

dave to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
Better in the 80's, hell. Christmas lights were much better when they were honking big bulbs with 1/4" threaded bases, when the whole string would fail if one bulb didn't work, when however much care you took to put them away in functioning condition, the string would always amuse itself by practicing advanced knot tying in the attic, and inevitably several bulbs would not survive the summer, so the lights never ever worked when you unpacked them, and it was always after the shops closed for the evening and besides they were always fresh out of bulbs because every other kid's father had also left it to the last minute to consider that just maybe the christmas tree lights needed to be tested, and no I don't know where I left the spares. That is the true meaning of christmas.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
The biggest problem I have with those LED christmas lights is the poor quality. Even if you're willing to spend the money toward something better, they just don't make anything better.

They COULD be made with better colors, more bright, and more robust/reliable. The technology exists, and has for a while.

The LEDs they use in those strings are so bad that there is often a very noticeable difference in brightness between LEDs of the same color. Some LEDs fail after a while, either they start flickering or go dark completely. Heck, I've even had an entire string fail (one of the LEDs actually went open-circuit).

Oh, and those large LED lights that are supposed to imitate C7 bulbs... TERRIBLE! The LEDs inside them are the same ones they use inside the mini-lights, it's just the plastic bulb that is larger. As a result, they are very dim. Nothing at all like the C7s they are supposed to imitate.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

2 recommendations

Johkal to dave

MVM

to dave
When I was a kid (early 60s), we had 2 types of bulbs; big bulbs for outside & the slightly smaller size for the Christmas tree. I would help my dad go through an entire string if it didn't light. My aunt would use these cool deep star shaped reflectors that you would put on the bulb receptacle before you screwed in the bulb. Ahhh.. memories!

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

1 recommendation

carpetshark3 to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4

Re:  

vimeo.com/16917950

I prefer this and the winter Milky Way.

Neither is trying to sell you something or putting out obnoxious marketing. They are there to enjoy for free.

If commercial BS didn't start before Halloween, I could tolerate it. But by Halloween, I'm sick of holidays and ready for spring.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

No Aurora Borealis in NJ.
Bob4

Bob4 to dave

to dave

I had an LED string fail after only one season.

The nice thing is that they use so little power, I just leave them plugged in 24/7.
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420 to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
Lol... Looks like you need to build yourself a time machine, so that you can escape all these newfangled modern-day calamities and go back to the "good 'ol days" that you so strongly lament for .

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

2 recommendations

Santa Fe to 19579823

to 19579823
Let's go ALL the way back to lit Candles in the tree.

Hey Ma, why's the tree erupting into flame again?

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

Didn't you complain about these lights last year? This all sounds horribly familiar.

And for the record, I love LED Christmas lights. Brighter, crisper, much nicer colors and NOT HOT.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
Yea I miss those hot ass lights on the tree, and if memory serves me right we did have a flickering fir one year because of it.

You would absolutely hate my house and the next 5 houses going down the street right about now.......
Expand your moderator at work

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

2 edits

Anonymous_ to Xioden

Premium Member

to Xioden

said by Xioden:

So you're complaining about what happened to this beautiful place we call earth, while complaining millions of homes are no longer using strings of Christmas lights where 1-2 individual bulbs used the same amount of electricity as entire strings of LED lights do?

And those "stupid cop cars" now don't light up entire streets with their emergency lights on, but still accomplish the same thing.

LED lights suck for Christmas lights... 99% of them have a shitty refresh rate of 59.8hz. The ghosting or flickering effect is what bothers me the most.
You do not get that "flicker" with incandescent bulbs.
said by Moffetts:

quote:
I could answer that with great accuracy, but I got in trouble for it last time.

Those C7 bulbs are neat for outdoor use, but I think they are a fire hazard when placed on a christmas tree because they get really hot. That's probably why the LED bulbs are gaining favor.

That is crazy shit made up by tree hugger's. That myth has been busted.

If there is a fire it's probably because of manufacturing defects.

Power wise they ARE 100% efficient*.
I can prove it.

They double as a space heater for your house, there for no power is lost and helps cut down on your heating bill.

* 100% electric areas it's 100% efficient

QuakeFrag
Premium Member
join:2003-06-13
NH

1 recommendation

QuakeFrag to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna

said by La Luna:

Didn't you complain about these lights last year? This all sounds horribly familiar.

It sounds familiar to me, too. I believe dude had the same rant last year.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

1 recommendation

ilikeme to QuakeFrag

Premium Member

to QuakeFrag

said by QuakeFrag:

said by La Luna:

It sounds familiar to me, too. I believe dude had the same rant last year.

I believe he just cycles thru his list of rants each year. I do remember this rant from sometime in the past.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
Yeah, I'm not digging the LED x-mas lights. For some reason I always see them strobing. And it is annoying.

I'm digging out all my 1930's strings of lights to make Mr. Griswold across the street jealous!