spc
Search similar:

uniqs
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

said by Burntone :
Be sure use the eighties as your starting point.
Indeed bud,the 80s was the peak of what was good in this world!!!! (Everything started going downhill in 1987 (Slowly but surely))

Annmarie

join:2000-11-11

Annmarie

said by 19579823:

said by Burntone :
Indeed bud,the 80s was the peak of what was good in this world!!!! (Everything started going downhill in 1987 (Slowly but surely))

Keep in mind I am well into a nice bottle of wine but I agree.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to 19579823

MVM

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

Indeed bud,the 80s was the peak of what was good in this world!!!!

Except for Winchester rifles. They started their downhill slide in 1964, and went completely to pot in 1981!

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

In addition, from around 1975 up to the entire 80s saw the worst American cars ever made.
07108968 (banned)
join:2012-12-11
North Coast

07108968 (banned) to 19579823

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

said by Burntone :

I think 87 and beyond was a pretty good, I lived on my own, had a good job, had loads of fun.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran

Re: [Rant] LED lights are ugly crap

said by sivran:

Sometimes, during the winter, I can heat my computer room with just the exhaust from my computers and the heat generated by a couple strings of christmas lights. Makes it festive and warm at the same time.

The building I work in doesn't run any heat to the second floor -- all the heat comes from the bodies that work there and the computers they use.
Secyurityet

Secyurityet to Santa Fe

Premium Member

to Santa Fe
said by Santa Fe:

I like the late 60's early 70's when you had to rant with either Punch Cards or Paper Tape! Those were the rants!

You had punch cards and tape?!?

I had to rant by carrier pigeon!
Secyurityet

Secyurityet to ebgbjo

Premium Member

to ebgbjo
said by ebgbjo:

I agree. First time I am in agreement with Dude. I think the new LED lights just look too fake- the colors are too bright and vivid, which may be great to some of you, but I don't need lights so bright it burns my eyes to enjoy Christmas.

Now there's a concept for you -- fake light.
Expand your moderator at work

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

I recently drove around my neighborhood and...either everyone's using LED, nobody's using LED, or I just can't tell the difference.

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

said by Xioden:

So you're complaining about what happened to this beautiful place we call earth, while complaining millions of homes are no longer using strings of Christmas lights where 1-2 individual bulbs used the same amount of electricity as entire strings of LED lights do?

And those "stupid cop cars" now don't light up entire streets with their emergency lights on, but still accomplish the same thing.

LED lights suck for Christmas lights... 99% of them have a shitty refresh rate of 59.8hz. The ghosting or flickering effect is what bothers me the most.
You do not get that "flicker" with incandescent bulbs.
said by Moffetts:

quote:
If you don't like them, then why did you buy them?
I could answer that with great accuracy, but I got in trouble for it last time.

Those C7 bulbs are neat for outdoor use, but I think they are a fire hazard when placed on a christmas tree because they get really hot. That's probably why the LED bulbs are gaining favor.

That is crazy shit made up by tree hugger's. That myth has been busted.

If there is a fire it's probably because of manufacturing defects.

Power wise they ARE 100% efficient*.
I can prove it.

They double as a space heater for your house, there for no power is lost and helps cut down on your heating bill.

* 100% electric areas it's 100% efficient

I don't like the LED's because of the refresh rate as you posted. It just looks weird and sometimes makes my dizzy or gives me a slight headache. I've noticed it too with some Cadillac LED tail lights as well. Are all LED lights like that? Christmas ones etc.

jimothy
@comcast.net

jimothy to dave

Anon

to dave
said by dave:

Better in the 80's, hell. Christmas lights were much better when they were honking big bulbs with 1/4" threaded bases, when the whole string would fail if one bulb didn't work, when however much care you took to put them away in functioning condition, the string would always amuse itself by practicing advanced knot tying in the attic, and inevitably several bulbs would not survive the summer, so the lights never ever worked when you unpacked them, and it was always after the shops closed for the evening and besides they were always fresh out of bulbs because every other kid's father had also left it to the last minute to consider that just maybe the christmas tree lights needed to be tested, and no I don't know where I left the spares. That is the true meaning of christmas.

damn right, nothing built character like having to check every bulb on a string lights to find the dead one
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to sivran

to sivran

Yea i can usually tell the difference... The LED lights are dimmer and look like crap in my opinion..... (Not as vivid colours)

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

1 recommendation

Dustyn to John Galt6

Premium Member

to John Galt6

said by John Galt6:

I use candles...

well... how very little house on the prairie.

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to 19579823

to 19579823
The refresh rate doesn't make sense to me. Aren't they powered by DC?

Edit : Nevermind, found some videos on the interwebs. I still don't understand it..
PatPatate

PatPatate to 19579823

to 19579823

I found the explanation for the led refresh rate :
quote:
If you have an LED that is rated for 30 mA, you can drive it with 50 mA pulses which exceed the maximum current for the LED. However, as long as the pulse frequency is pretty fast and the average current (averaging 50 mA and 0 mA for when the pulses are on and off) doesn't exceed 30 mA then the LED will be just fine.
It would seem most led lights use this, but it would still be possible to make led lights that doesn't flicker. Pulsating weak LEDs must be cheaper than a current voltage in strong LEDs.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

said by 19579823:

Yea i can usually tell the difference... The LED lights are dimmer and look like crap in my opinion..... (Not as vivid colours)

Not true. At all. Have you had your eyes checked lately?

PatPatate
Sainte-Julie, QC

2 recommendations

PatPatate

said by La Luna:

said by 19579823:

It's useless arguing with Dude. He has bionic eyes, bionic tongue and bionic ears that can see, ear and taste stuff that normal human wouldn't.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to PatPatate

Premium Member

to PatPatate

I don't think I've ever come across a Christmas LED light that doesn't have that strobing flickering effect. Are the high quality ones that mimic incandescents sold in high end department stores? All I see at Canadian Tire, Wallmart or Home Hardware are the same flickery LED light pulses that are dizzying to look at.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

1 recommendation

Moffetts to PatPatate

to PatPatate

Re:  

said by PatPatate:

said by La Luna:

said by 19579823:

It's useless arguing with Dude. He has bionic eyes, bionic tongue and bionic ears that can see, ear and taste stuff that normal human wouldn't.

Bionic SENSES were so much better BACK in the 80s. MUCH MORE BIONIC BACK THEN

PatPatate
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to Dustyn

to Dustyn

said by Dustyn:

I don't think I've ever come across a Christmas LED light that doesn't have that strobing flickering effect. Are the high quality ones that mimic incandescents sold in high end department stores? All I see at Canadian Tire, Wallmart or Home Hardware are the same flickery LED light pulses that are dizzying to look at.

Like I said, it's probably cheaper to produce by using weaker LEDs and pulse them. Higher quality products would probably be too expensive and wouldn't sell well at all.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

Why do you see "strobing flickering" and I don't? Not saying you don't see it, just don't understand why you would see it and others don't. Weird. I just see bright, crisp, clear beautiful colors.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn

Premium Member

It's just the way LED bulb technology is as they are designed to turn on and off very quickly. In most cases it's not perceptive by the human eye, but for some it is. Most are 60Hz as they run off 60Hz AC. (reminds me of the 60Hz refresh rate of an old CRT monitor) I haven't been able to find any that are twice as bright at 120Hz. These are supposedly flicker free, but they still flicker... just at a much faster rate. As PatPatate See Profile mentioned you could use a full-wave bridge rectifier at the socket end of the strand to get 120Hz.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch ··· chnology
»boards.straightdope.com/ ··· t=583097
The above link I found quite interesting.

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

Thanks for those links. Interesting read on something as simple as Xmas lights. I'm not a fan of the LED ones, although I have two stands in use but the rest are regular ones. Like the Wikipedia said I notice the Stroboscopic effect mostly when looking from side to side or moving across the field of view.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,

AMDUSER to jadinolf

Premium Member

to jadinolf

That is a Christmas tree fire waiting to happen... unfortunately.

PatPatate
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to 19579823

to 19579823
I just bought a few sets of LED christmas light on sale (3$ instead of 15$) for next year.

I tried one to see what it looks like, and wow, they do flicker a lot. I didn't expect that. It is less noticeable at a higher distance so I don't mind...

I do have 2 LED light bulbs I bought to try, they are in lamp. They do NOT flicker that way.