Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: [WIN8] Restore Points?

No, my program does nothing like that. All it does is allows a user to have quicker access to System Restore functions such as create, delete, and restore.

There's not even any kind of install either, it's a simple program consisting of a single EXE file with no other dependencies other than the Microsoft .NET Framework. Just unzip the ZIP file and you're met with a single EXE file. Double-click and run. No system services, no startup entries made, etc.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20

Premium Member

Ok that's fine. But I have to find out from Microsoft why all my restore points are getting deleted. I had to use System Restore just now after an nVidia driver installation trashed my desktop color settings totally. nvidia is crap now that only the professional cards include nView (Desktop Management Software). If I had known that before I purchased this computer, I would have bought a professional card to get nView as there is almost zero functionality on the nVidia 660 card and I didn't even think about that because there is no nView now that my desktop settings would be trashed with a new driver install. Plus, I can't even have more than one desktop and that is awful! I need nView for EVERYTHING that made nVidia great for me. I could have bought my new computer months ago and gotten ATI card 7870 but I was waiting for Dell to offer nVidia cards because of nView.

So, rather than spend an hour getting my colors just right again, I used System Restore and it did not make a restore point before nVidia driver install! That is outrageous. The horrible behavior of System Restore in Windows 8 is by far the worse thing about Windows 8 because it is dangerous. I may still downgrade to Windows 7 Pro because of this issue with System Restore.

After System Restore to before the nVidia driver install, it was puzzling to note that System Restore now shows 7 restore points instead of just two. That makes me wonder if those points were not deleted recently (so that I only had two) but just refuse to show! They are probably still there but hidden for some weird reason or some bug is causing them to hide.

I am going to install your program now.

Edit: It is NEAT! MAHALO. I pinned it to the task bar. I was getting tired of all clicking to get to System Restore screen to manage it or do a restore.

I also set up the tasks as you recommended in Task Scheduler.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

1 recommendation

trparky

Premium Member

Restore Point Creator Tasks
Speaking about pinned programs on the taskbar, I just updated the program again to include new functionality for pinned programs. Specifically, Build 31 has the ability to add "Tasks" to the pinned program icon so you can create System Restore Points with a simple right-click and a click of your mouse.

Also, I added an icon to the program too.

Edit: Build 32 was released as an addition to create "named" Restore Points from the jumplist. Standard Restore Points created by this program from the jumplist are named "System Checkpoint made by System Restore Point Creator".

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

I don't use Windows 8 (using Windows 7), but I just wanted to say that it is VERY nice of you to create this program for folks using Windows 8.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

trparky

Premium Member

It works on Windows 7 too.
trparky

1 recommendation

trparky

Premium Member

I primarily made this program simply because I felt that getting to where you need to be in Windows to make a System Restore Point is convoluted and complicated. Getting access to the System Restore functionality shouldn't be that hard. Hence why I created this free program.

You can create, delete, and restore to any System Restore Point with ease. On Windows 7 and 8 you can create a System Restore Point even easier when the program is pinned to the task bar thanks to the fact that the program creates pinned Tasks. So to create a Restore Point on Windows 7 or 8 all you have to do is right-click on the pinned program icon and choose one of the pinned Tasks and you're done.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

This is wonderful because you are right that getting to where you make a System Restore Point in Windows 8 is "convoluted and complicated". That is a very apt description. Your program simplifies getting to that place and also lets me delete a point easily. Since I find System Restore important and useful, it is a welcome relief that I no longer have to hassle with getting there so I can make a restore point or just check and see if Windows 8 is finally making automatic ones.

It interesting that clicking on the icon directly in Task Bar brings up UAC but right clicking on the icon seems to bypass UAC. (For the time being, at least, I am being a bit more conservative than with XP where I had Process Guard. I'm running as admin on Win 8 but using UAC).

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

trparky

Premium Member

I'm glad that someone has some use for this program besides myself. I've put a lot of work, time, and research into the various Microsoft APIs that are needed for this program to do the things that it needs to do.

And to think that I'm giving it away for free.

I ought to start a thread in the Software forum about this program. Maybe others will also find a use for it as well.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Yes, it obvious you have put a lot of time into this as it looks great and works great and is meticulously done. And to be free? That is fantastic. Everyone who uses System Restore in Windows 8 (I never really had Win 7 except for a few months of the public beta so I can't speak about it) should have this. There's a thread at Technet about folks with problems with restore points in Win 8. They are mostly complaining that Win 8 makes NONE automatically....not even before they install new programs. I think I will post a link there to your program as it would certainly help them to be able to easily and quickly make a restore point before installing new programs.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

trparky

Premium Member

Oh God, talk about a little project becoming... not so small anymore. LOL I just never imagined that a side project of mine would ever get the kind of attention it's about to get.

But yes, go ahead and post about it where you think it should be posted. More exposure is good.

I think I'm going to put something up on the product web site that allows people to donate money to me. Obviously, donations won't EVER be a requirement but it would be a nice gesture.