All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Drift_91
join:2009-02-11
Perth, ON

Drift_91

More than 4 phonelines/DSL lines possible?

Where I live, the only option I have for broadband land-based Internet is DSL. Currently my distance from the DSLAM limits my speed to 6Mbps with my current ISP. And Bell's website says they'll only give me 5Mbps if I were to sign up with them. 6Mbps down and 0.8Kbps up just isn't fast enough for me. However, I was told in this thread about MLPPP or "bonded DSL": »When will Tay Valley TWP have FttN? Or WISP alternatives?
Now, if I bond 4 DSL lines together (1 with dial tone and 3 naked/dry DSL) my speed is limited to 24Mbps down and 3.2Mbps up. The thing is, I'm wondering if there's anyway I can go faster. Would Bell be able to wholesale more than 4 DSL lines?

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

I believe there's been MLPPP setups of 8 or more lines done...

BUT - you need a router with enough horsepower to do it... Which likely means a PC based solution, you need an ISP prepared to provide service, and, the big kicker, you need enough copper running to your house - that's likely going to be the real issue for more then 2 or 3 lines.

Also, and keep in mind, I haven't followed this closely, but I believe the MLPPP projects have basically ground to a halt... There were/are developers that used to hang around here, that may be able to comment further.

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle to Drift_91

to Drift_91
It's definitely possible, but if you're in a residential neighbourhood, you'll probably have some trouble getting them to install more than 3 lines (or however many the wires currently running to your home are capable of), especially since they'll be dry loops. I know they refused to run a 4th line out to my place a couple of years ago, but it can't hurt to try.

Drift_91
Perth, ON

Drift_91 to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

you need enough copper running to your house - that's likely going to be the real issue for more then 2 or 3 lines.

That's the reason I asked in the Bell forum section. I need to know how much copper is running between my house and the junction box across the street. What I saw when a Bell tech was working on it was 4 copper wires in one thick sheath entering the demarc box. Apparently that's supposed to have 4 phone lines, but I can only see 4 wires being able to carry 2 lines, since a circuit requires a negative.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Drift_91

to Drift_91
said by Drift_91:

6Mbps down and 0.8Kbps up just isn't fast enough for me.

That is the speed for a majority of Bell customers. It's usually 4.3 megs down and .6 up. Overhead occupies the rest. No one ever reaches the advertised speeds (except HiVolt See Profile when he lived next to a CO).
DKS

DKS to Drift_91

to Drift_91
said by Drift_91:

What I saw when a Bell tech was working on it was 4 copper wires in one thick sheath entering the demarc box. Apparently that's supposed to have 4 phone lines, but I can only see 4 wires being able to carry 2 lines, since a circuit requires a negative.

4 single, coloured wires? That's 2 line. Red/green and yellow/black on my line.

Drift_91
Perth, ON

Drift_91

There were no colors. Maybe I was looking at the wrong wire, but it was a thick black rectangular sheath made out of rubber almost as tough as a car tire. I believe this is the wire that runs overhead of the highway in front of my house, between the two telephone poles.
Drift_91

Drift_91

Actually, there has to have been colored sheaths to prevent short circuits. My memory must be wrong. I do know there was 4 wires however.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to Drift_91

Premium Member

to Drift_91
That would be old aerial drop wire... Heavily insulated, looks almost like zip cord.

Two or three lines is common in a drop wire; although I've seen as many as 6 in some direct buried situations... If you've got 4 conductors, that's 2 lines. Bell would most likely install another drop for voice services, but for dry loop, they are under no obligation.

Drift_91
Perth, ON

Drift_91

How many lines is the absolute max they'll install? Do they actually do it for free? I'd expect to have to pay at least $1,000 for a major job like that.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to Drift_91

to Drift_91
Years ago, when I ran a BBS at my house, I had two 6 pair buried drop wires put in along with the two pairs that were put in when the house was built. Bell didn't seem to mind, but I had to have the trench from the ped to my house dug by a contractor.

If your wires come in overhead, they shouldn't have much of a problem hanging another drop cable.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada

Glen1 to Drift_91

MVM

to Drift_91
The outside wire coming in from the pole can be 12 pairs now...probably limited only by the availability of spare pairs in the terminal you are fed from. A 6 pair "drop" wire is as easy as putting in a 2 pair. I guess it is only limited by the amount of money you are willing to spend.

Drift_91
Perth, ON

Drift_91

Thanks for the help guys. I got the info I was looking for. I'll have to look around in other forum sections to find an ISP that provides the best speed for a price that I can afford.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to Glen1

to Glen1
said by Glen1:

probably limited only by the availability of spare pairs in the terminal you are fed from.

That's the key. They only size the distribution cable for an average of 1.2 pairs per home passed, and each terminal only breaks out a limited number of pairs in the cable. If all the houses in your count happen to have second lines, you'll be out of luck.

It really started to become a problem in the mid to late 90's as people were asking for second or third phone lines in their houses - for Internet, fax, kids line, etc.

Bell started to use digital AML, which didn't always play well with 56k modems or DSL.

With the advent of DSL, and cell phones, and competition for dialtone from cable operators, the fill rates started to drop, easing the pressure.

If Bell starts deploying bonded ADSL/VDSL, that could change.