uniqs
wideglide36
join:2003-11-08
Altoona, PA

wideglide36 to dicodread

to dicodread

Re: [General] Google voice going paid?

Just thinking out loud here.

If Google Voice does eventually turn into a paid service and offers competitive rates and 911 service, plus maybe a few other goodies, why would someone want to pay to port out?

Unless the other big Voip companies offered free porting as some did during the CC problems.

I just don't see the advantage in changing from Google Voice to another Voip if all things considered are fairly even.

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Also, in the case of vanity numbers, I don't understand the point of getting a number such as xxx-ROOF.

Who wants to figure out the numbers that correlate with ROOF?

Wouldn't it be better to instead use a number with a popular date such as 1225 or 0704 or 0101?

Again, just thinking out loud.......

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc

Bastille Day better?

said by wideglide36 :

Also, in the case of vanity numbers, I don't understand the point of getting a number such as xxx-ROOF.

Who wants to figure out the numbers that correlate with ROOF?

Wouldn't it be better to instead use a number with a popular date such as 1225 or 0704 or 0101?

Figure out, give me a break. So, you drive by a yard sign that has local area code, known prefix, and then roof - (XXX) XXX-ROOF. Yeah, (XXX) XXX-7389 is so much easier and catchy to remember. Trying to obtain the same last four digits is impossible in a big metro area. As far as popular dates, should Bastille Day be used?
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM to wideglide36

to wideglide36

said by wideglide36:

These don't look like dates to me; other than 0101, they're not even catchy; besides, there's only so many 7777 numbers that you can get, and they probably SHOULD cost a premium, because it's obviously a limited supply and might be most valuable to businesses.

Mnemonics, on the other hand, are simply random digits that would only matter to certain people, and would look completely random to the overall population; there's hardly any scarcity for random numbers; hence I think mnemonics should be provided complementary and at no extra charge, and not be tied down to having to select a specific NPA-NXX, because nowadays worrying about ratecenters is nonsense. Limiting the search to an overall geographic area with a couple NPAs is useful, but nothing more.
wideglide36
Altoona, PA

wideglide36 to bbbc

to bbbc

Re: Bastille Day better?

Hey, relax a bit. I meant no disrespect to xxx-ROOF.

Most people don't know the date of Bastille Day, and I realize you were being facetious, but most people do know and could remember the dates for X-mas and the Fourth of July as well as New Years Day.

I see your point as well. I was just thinking out loud.

Jeesh.........
wideglide36

wideglide36 to ConstantineM

to ConstantineM

1225 and 0704 don't look like dates?

They sure do to me.
rblizz
join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX

rblizz

said by wideglide36:

They sure do to me.

Me too, seeing as though both my wife and daughter we're born on 7-4 -- oh, and something else happened on that date also. Something about fire in the sky and booms and what not.

And 12-25 ... uh, probably the best known date in Christendom.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to wideglide36

Premium Member

to wideglide36
said by wideglide36:

They sure do to me.

I think that the gentleman grew up in a country where:

1) It wasn't 12/25 but rather 25/12.

2) And that's not Christmas anyway, rather the date is January 7th. (Actually, the Russian Orthodox Church still uses the Julian calendar. What is December 25 on the Julian calender comes out to January 7 on the Gregorian calendar that the world commonly uses, so when they celebrate Christmas it will be January 7 on the common calendar).

3) It's not 07/04 but rather 04/07.

4) And in any event that date means nothing special in the former USSR, Russian Federation, or the CIS.

Apocryphal sign seen on the British Embassy in Washington on the Fourth of July one year:

“Due to circumstances beyond our control, the embassy will be closed today.”

ConstantineM
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM to wideglide36

to wideglide36
said by wideglide36:

They sure do to me.

If you single the numbers out from the NXX, they might; if you only have 1 second or so to look at a billboard, they don't. (On the other hand, NXX-ROOF is indeed a catchy number.)

Besides, how NPA-NXX-1225 is supposed to be personal to anyone? Why do you think that you deserve to have a number with 1225, and not the next person? Very greedy, and not very Christmas-like, if you ask me; are you the Grinch who stole Christmas? :-p
mitchflorida
join:2004-09-01
Deerfield Beach, FL

mitchflorida

I am doubting that Google will charge for GV next year. We would have heard about it by now, they have to give some advance notice at least 30 days.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

AFAIK a provider has to give 30 days notice only if phone service is being discontinued.

Charging for US calls (they already charge for overseas calls) does not constitute discontinuation...
PX Eliezer704

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

The Canadian company [Pizza Pizza] used the Toronto number 967-1111 which is jingled as [967-Eleven-Eleven] with much success.
cell14
join:2012-01-04
Miami Beach, FL

cell14 to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
While off topic : The 09-12-2012 format9 for today's date0 is mandated on all immigration forms in the U.S.(!)
I personally use the global standard 2012-12-09.
wideglide36
Altoona, PA

wideglide36 to ConstantineM

to ConstantineM
Am I the Grinch who stole Christmas? Are you for real?

I never said I deserved anything. Why do you feel the need to twist everything around?

Your comments make no sense.

So I will ignore them....
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to cell14

Premium Member

to cell14
said by cell14:

ISO Standard 8601 for Dates (and Times)
All the way back in 1988, the International Standards Organization (ISO) decided, for obvious reasons, that these country-specific all-numeric date formats had to go. The ISO standard date format is defined in the ISO 8601:

yyyy-mm-dd

This ISO 8601 format for dates has a number of good features.

It has a four-digit year.
It is unambiguous around the world.
It can easily be sorted by a computer.
And since nobody was using it before, it avoids favoring the traditions of any one country over another.

Well, if NO one was using it before, it is contrived and unnatural.

Like many "international" standards.

That would be like mandating that the UN only do business in Esperanto. After all, there's no favoritism in doing so.

Camels and committees and all that.

---------------------------

Reminds me of the European Union, when they started to print EU currency rather than print scenes from Paris or Madrid or any other real place, they made up fictional scenery so as not to offend anyone. Typical for the Eurocrats.... Pretend scenery for a pretend currency.
andre2
join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA

andre2 to mitchflorida

to mitchflorida
Their announcement last year that 2012 would be free was on December 13. So we should know in a few days.

»googlevoiceblog.blogspot ··· ada.html
cell14
Miami Beach, FL

cell14 to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
There is nothing unnatural on international standards. US has a big problem with that, at the costs of billions. Just look at the mess with wireless standards, voltage, frequency,paper sizes, weights/measures etc. Retarded traditionalism comes at cost.
I would not use Esperanto as an example, it is biased( based on small group of predominantly romantic languages), nor a political nonsense like Euro.
gweidenh
join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

gweidenh

This forum's ability to get off topic never ceases to amaze me.
cell14
Miami Beach, FL

cell14

It always happens on long threads.

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

Trimline to gweidenh

Premium Member

to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

+1
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan to gweidenh

Premium Member

to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

I think now's our cue to get into a heated discussion about how we define a topic, what's REALLY considered off topic and what's just a slight deviation from the topic, and get really, really, REALLY heated up about it. If you're gonna go off-topic, win it!

I'll go get the popcorn.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

said by cell14:

ISO Standard 8601 for Dates (and Times)
All the way back in 1988, the International Standards Organization (ISO) decided, for obvious reasons, that these country-specific all-numeric date formats had to go. The ISO standard date format is defined in the ISO 8601:

yyyy-mm-dd

This ISO 8601 format for dates has a number of good features.

It has a four-digit year.
It is unambiguous around the world.
It can easily be sorted by a computer.
And since nobody was using it before, it avoids favoring the traditions of any one country over another.

Well, if NO one was using it before, it is contrived and unnatural.

It was a reference to the delimiter, that was offered to use with date format '-'. That's why it was noted, that "nobody was using it before".

Delimiters play important rule in distinguishing one format from another. For example, US uses '/', hence: 12/09/2012. Many European countries use '.', hence:09.12.2012. Standard offered to use '-', hence: 2012-12-09. Those, who pay attention to delimiters, can easily recognize format used and read the date correctly.

Many here don't pay any attention to that (don't care or simply are not educated enough) and use whatever they think is "better" for them. Hence you may see: 2012-09-12 or even 12-09-2012... I've seen it with some forum software (and when you see it, the only question arises - WTF?) and even some banks use it too...

Like many "international" standards.

Education system in the US created well known disrespect to the work "standards".
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to nitzan

Premium Member

to nitzan
Mikroonda pufmaizo estas malsana.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo to gweidenh

to gweidenh
...the best laid plans of mice and mods...
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
Speaking of delightful delimiters, don't get me started on how they do things in India.

They take 653,275,829 and make it into:

and call it:

Sixty five crore, thirty two lakh, seventy five thousand, eight hundred twenty nine.
OZO
Premium Member

1 edit

OZO

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

Speaking of delightful delimiters, don't get me started on how they do things in India.

They take 653,275,829 and make it into:

and call it:

Sixty five crore, thirty two lakh, seventy five thousand, eight hundred twenty nine.

At least I'm glad that they don't try to divide numbers by 1024 and call it "Kilo"... like we do it here with our files...
ConstantineM
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
Where'd you get the quote that ISO8601 format was not used anywhere prior to being invented by the ISO?

Today's date in Japanese is 20121209, and other asian languages likewise prefer Year-Month-Day notation, the only notation that makes sense and which is computer-friendly. ISO8601 is hardly a nuisance to anyone.

And if you think that people should be free to use whichever notation they feel like, go to Canada: today's date there can be expressed as 2012-12-09, 09/12/2012 and 12/09/2012. Canadians, eh? :-) Ever seen a couple of Canadian cheques from different Canadian banks? :-) I'm not even kidding: all three date formats are entirely valid! Check it out: »www.cdnpay.ca/imis15/eng ··· te_Field
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

said by ConstantineM:

And if you think that people should be free to use whichever notation they feel like, go to Canada: today's date there can be expressed as 2012-12-09, 09/12/2012 and 12/09/2012. Canadians, eh? :-) Ever seen a couple of Canadian cheques from different Canadian banks? :-) I'm not even kidding: all three date formats are entirely valid! Check it out: »www.cdnpay.ca/imis15/eng ··· te_Field

Wow! How those guys (who wrote the spec) are going to recognize what does '12092012' mean? Is it December 09 or it's September 12. Or may be it's even December 20, 1209? (not very probable, but theoretically possible) That's why I've mentioned the importance of the delimiters. 12/09/2012 means December 09, while 12.09.2012 means September 12. And that's why ISO uses '-' as its distinguished delimiter too.

Thanks god they don't yet offer to use ':' as a delimiter or we'll have to guess if it's a time or date...
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

1 edit

NoHereNoMo

Just one reason why I like 09Dec2012 10Dec2012 better--no ambiguity.

Edit: 12/12/12 -- that is all.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to ConstantineM

Premium Member

to ConstantineM
said by ConstantineM:

Where'd you get the quote that ISO8601 format was not used anywhere prior to being invented by the ISO?

»www.uic.edu/depts/accc/s ··· dex.html
University of Illinois at Chicago
Academic Computing and Communications Center
ConstantineM
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM to OZO

to OZO

Canadian cheques...

They have translucent letters under each field that tells the user what kind of the date format they're supposed to use. And cheques by different banks have different kind of formats, no kidding there! I'm not sure if you can request a specific date format as a user; but I guess you can simply switch banks if you disagree with your bank's selection (or perhaps order custom cheques from an official printer?). :-) That's probably the Canadian way: quietly fix it yourself, instead of going around, complaining and petitioning.