share rss forum feed

kw0
Premium
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH
kudos:6
reply to kw0

Re: [TWC] Zoom 5341J Soft-Rebooting randomly

I said to hell with it last night and went out and bought a SB6141 at Worst Buy. We'll see if it stops screwing up.

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE
reply to kw0
Can you post your semi-hidden snmp log from here: »192.168.100.1/RgEventLog.asp so we can see what errors you are getting.

OSUGoose, do you have a Zoom 5341J as well?

kw0
Premium
New Albany, OH
reply to kw0
Issue has returned as of today. IRC disconnected several times (about 6 in the past few hours)

kw0
Premium
New Albany, OH
reply to OSUGoose
Nope. TW.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to kw0
I'm having the same issues, are you on Insight RR?

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
reply to kw0
said by kw0:

NE Columbus, OH

could you post your screenshot over in my new thread about the upstream bonding?

kw0
Premium
New Albany, OH
reply to motorola870
NE Columbus, OH

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
reply to kw0
said by kw0:

said by OSUGoose:

Capacity/Utilization issue?

I don't think so. My connection would die in the middle of the night sometimes.

I'm guessing a piece of bad equipment somewhere backfeeding onto everyones line.

The guy on the phone said he had about 80 customers to call, so I must not have been the only one with the issue.

where are you located? I was wondering because I noticed that you have upstream bonding and I was wanting to start making a list of areas where upstream bonding is present.

kw0
Premium
New Albany, OH
reply to OSUGoose
said by OSUGoose:

I don't think so. My connection would die in the middle of the night sometimes.

I'm guessing a piece of bad equipment somewhere backfeeding onto everyones line.

The guy on the phone said he had about 80 customers to call, so I must not have been the only one with the issue.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to kw0

kw0
Premium
New Albany, OH
reply to kw0
TW evidently figured it out. I had a service call scheduled for them to come out and check my setup for a second time, and they cancelled my appointment and said they had an issue in my area and had fixed it.

So far so good. Been up for 36 hours so far.

kw0
Premium
New Albany, OH
reply to kw0
Might as well update this.

My original setup had the original feed coming from the wall to a cheap 2-way Wal-Mart splitter, which was also feeding my TV (direct connect/no cable box). I removed the splitter from the equation and the disconnects hung around. I did notice, however, that the uncorrectables/correctables stayed at 0/0 with no splitter on the line. Only when I introduced the splitter did they come back.

I picked up another splitter and re-introduced it to the line and the uncorrectables/correctables started piling up again.

I live in Northeast Columbus (OH) and they are building apartments up the street. I wouldn't be shocked if it was related, but I can't be for sure. It does absolutely seem like it has nothing to do with the drop, the splitter, or the modem.

It's almost as though every so often, someone quickly unplugs/plugs my cable line back in. It's not even long enough for my modem to lose its provisioning...it just drops everything I have connected at the time and reconnects almost immediately.

I even went so far as to replace my NIC in my machine but it also remains unaffected.

I guess my question is...has anyone else in NE Columbus had issues like this? I'd imagine the average user doesn't even realize it, but I leave IRC open all day and see the disconnects/reconnects every so often.

kba4

join:2001-10-23
Canton, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to kw0
Power Adjustments and Correctable's can be directly related in a lot of cases. Basically a Power Adjustment is the power supply of the modem stepping down incoming power on the device. A correctable is where the modem has to reconstruct (correct) packets which were sent/received in error. Poor power can lead to packet loss/degradation. I know a lot of TWC markets have charged-service calls so if that's the case here you're much better off with a leased modem. That or go into an office with ID and request all the coax cable and/or splitters you need for the job. Other than fixing the incoming signal (which I do not believe would be yours to pay for) materials are the only other part of a call. So, like I said, do everything you can with your side of the deal and I'm almost certain your outcome will be ideal.
--
I see what you're saying, even though I'm really just listening...

kw0
Premium
New Albany, OH
reply to kba4
said by kba4:

The modem shouldn't be making power adjustments all that often

Define power adjustments? Is that the correctables/uncorrectables thing?

I was debating removing the splitter between the wall and my modem...I installed a splitter myself and ran one to my TV and the other to my modem.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to kba4
said by kba4:

Cover your end well and call in for TWC's part: you may end up with a service call fixing it all.

Can a subscriber avoid a chargeable service call by going in to the TW store and picking up a modem for lease? I'm thinking a few days' leasing fee would be a cheaper option.

kba4

Canton, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to kw0
The modem shouldn't be making power adjustments all that often, and if it was happening with the TWC modem then definitely expect at least some of the issue to lie on their end. As I said, do as much troubleshooting with your end as you can, as you're now contributing to up to half the problem in the eyes of Tech Support. Check connectors, and try different outlets, remove power/surge-strips, etc. Power Adjustments are the modem's way of compensating for voltage inconsistencies which could be there due to the CATV line and also the AC adapter and it's power-source. Cover your end well and call in for TWC's part: you may end up with a service call fixing it all.
--
I see what you're saying, even though I'm really just listening...

kw0
Premium
New Albany, OH
reply to kw0
I kind of figured that...but it was doing the same thing on my SB6141 before I swapped it out. I assumed the Surfboard was the culprit and I was killing two birds with one stone by bringing my own modem.

Are those correctables/uncorrectables normal?

kba4

Canton, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to kw0
I know you won't want to hear it but the short answer is you're mostly on your own here. I would still call in for Tech Support and have them do their best effort to make sure there's no packet loss, etc. to the modem's IP. Do your basic troubleshooting as well, checking connectors and maybe even try a different AC and/or CATV outlet, removing splitters if there are any as well. Due to it not being their equipment, TWC's demarcation will be the end of that cable cord, and anything else will require you call the manufacturer or retailer for assistance.

The modem lease fee is for service and support (and of course profit) by TWC. It's like roadside assistance on your auto-insurance: if you don't have it then you of course pay less but also must find your own towing, etc. when things happen.

kw0
Premium
New Albany, OH
Click for full size
I recently got a Zoom 5341J so I could get out of the Road Runner money grab, and I noticed my modem keeps randomly soft-rebooting -- that is it reboots itself, but when it comes back on the "uptime" remains unchanged.

Does anything look out of the ordinary on here? This is after ~a week of uptime.