how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

Deploying Windows 8?

Anyone deploying Windows 8 in their organization? Curious how the end users accepted it.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4
I have one person on it other than myself. So far it's just taking them a few days to figure out how to get to the start menu. Try didn't know what the windows key on the keyboard was.. And since they're on dual monitors, gestures can be tricky in the corners.

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3
reply to mikefxu
said by mikefxu:

Anyone deploying Windows 8 in their organization? Curious how the end users accepted it.

Not here any time soon. I have a feeling Windows 8 might be a flop similar to Vista, but that is my opinion and I have no data to back that up.

I am deploying Server 2012 Datacenter on our new cluster soon. Took a little getting use to but once I tweaked it and got past the horrible UI, it operates and feels like Server 2008 R2. I still don't like W8 though.
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Publilius Syrus
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to mikefxu
said by mikefxu:

Anyone deploying Windows 8 in their organization?

Hahaha, oh man. I needed a good laugh this morning.

mkaishar

join:2000-12-20
united state
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to mikefxu
Yes...works beautifully!

Win7 is good, but if you are on XP, then there is no reason to skip 7 and go to 8 directly, why always be too far behind.

Yes there some getting used to, but give it a little bit and people will see the value.

Performance wise, it works much better with the existing hardware in comparison to 7.

Creating corporate apps will be key, this way with a good GPO, you can secure the users into the "Metro" environment.

Unless you have some custom applications that will never work, then I would consider to wait. But with compatibility mode, I see no reason legacy apps will not work.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Oedipus
said by Oedipus:

said by mikefxu:

Anyone deploying Windows 8 in their organization?

Hahaha, oh man. I needed a good laugh this morning.

... yea, that's exactly what I was thinking. I was expecting a joke thread! If Microsoft continues down this bizarre path, I see Windows 7 sticking around for as long as Windows XP did.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to mikefxu
I moved a client office (11 PCs) over to Windows 8 last week. But I also installed Start8 so they have a real start menu, and ran a few registry tweaks to get things working like they should.

Most of the employees didn't realize their systems had been upgraded.
--
Intel i7-2600k /ASRock P67 Extreme4 /4x 4Gb G.Skill /2x Intel 510 series 250Gb SSD /3x WD20EADS 2TB /2x PNY GTX 260 /Silverstone 850W /Custom water cooler /Antec Twelve-Hundred

Oedipus

said by Camelot One:

I moved a client office (11 PCs) over to Windows 8 last week. But I also installed Start8 so they have a real start menu, and ran a few registry tweaks to get things working like they should.

Most of the employees didn't realize their systems had been upgraded.

Coming from someone who uses classic shell on his W8 box, I don't think that counts. The reason the users didn't realize you had upgraded them is because you pretty much didn't.

I'm not even sure why you bothered.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN
said by Oedipus:

I'm not even sure why you bothered.

I bothered because the client paid me to.

It mostly boiled down to taking advantage of Microsoft's crazy upgrade pricing. They purchased a few pre-configured Dell systems that were on sale around black friday. They needed Pro for the domain, but the Home Premium boxes were around $120 less. So they bought them with Home Premium, then spent $16 each to upgrade them to Win8 Pro. The owner then wanted all of the systems running the same OS, so the rest of the boxes got the upgrade as well.

I set up Start8 to run the start menu with the left windows key, and the Metro UI with the right. So users can use which ever they like, but without all the support tickets for "how do I open Outlook?"

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
So let me see if I have this straight...

$120 - PC w/Windows 8
$16 - Windows 8 Pro Upgrade
$5 - Start8
$??? - your time to update Windows

mkaishar

join:2000-12-20
united state
reply to mikefxu
go to ninite.com and download classicshell it's opensource

Mellow
Premium
join:2001-11-16
Salisbury, MD
reply to mikefxu
I love windows 8, I have waited to upgrade my xp laptop and finally got something I enjoy. Got the Sony vaio duo 11 with 8 pro and love it, posting this on it right now. Running dual monitor in the desktop mode is great, all the drivers built in make everything a snap to install. All I need now is the touch screen monitors to come down in price. All you nay sayers can say what you want but as I get funding we will be switching our XP machines to win8.

boognish
Premium
join:2001-09-26
Baton Rouge, LA
kudos:6
reply to mikefxu
No. I have played with it and it looks fine for a home environment, but we have so many custom written apps and our core corporate programs that this would be a nightmare. We are slowly moving all our apps to Oracle WebLogic Server so we can get away from OS dependencies.
I really wish MS would put out a light weight OS that is easy manage and stop with the all the fancy crap for a corporate environment.
--
don't get 2 close 2 my fantasy

The WeaseL
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota
reply to mikefxu
We are finishing up our move from XP to 7, we aren't going to start that mess again for a while.
--
How lucky am I to have known someone who is so hard to say good-bye to.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable
reply to mikefxu
No plans here. Boognish's idea sounds nice - less OS dependency.
Problem is, any platform will have issues, any backend will eventually have issues. Never ending struggle I suppose.

In any case, I did set a up a friend's new PC over the weekend, and went with classic shell. He was out running an errand, and by the time he came back I was done setting up. Once he saw the "new start screen" he just laughed and said "...that's what they want on tablets? what, are people [esp. new generations] too stupid to use a regular computer anymore?" and then thanked me profusely for the "normal" start menu and automatic bypass of the new start screen.

Back to business side - we're still getting 7 in phases. I see 8 as being Vista 2.1 (vista 1.0, windows 7 [vista 2.0], windows 8 [vista 2.1]). In another perspective, it might be better to compare it to Windows ME, as that was essentially the 3rd rendition of Win95, with a few NT elements trying to sneak in, and a bunch of really unbelievable issues. If it somehow came to happen that I had to support business use of 8, you can bet that I'd push VERY heavily for including Classic Shell in every case.

mikefxu

Titusville, FL

4 edits
Click for full size
said by amungus:

Once he saw the "new start screen" he just laughed and said "...that's what they want on tablets? what, are people [esp. new generations] too stupid to use a regular computer anymore?"

Things are changing, don't fight it or you will be left behind. Flipping through these slides from this article really was an eye opener of what we are moving toward: Mary Meeker's Latest Must-Read Presentation On The State Of The Web

I was really hoping that Metro was a bad dream but when it made it to RTM on Server 2012 I knew I just had to accept it.

I remember after Vista I though 7 was much the same. I judge it without trying it out. After I finally adopted it I felt like it was a XP 2.0.

My 7 install still looks like 98. Windows is a tool, much like a hammer. I am not interested in a BeDazzled hammer just a pure and simple hammer.

Modus
I hate smartassery on forums
Premium
join:2005-05-02
us
reply to mikefxu
We are going to skip it and 2012 server. I think the whole metro ui is a fad that will pass so i'll pass on it
--
Think Ahead. Learn More. Solve Now!

OverBurn

join:2004-02-21
Greenwood, IN
reply to mikefxu
I only work on 2 businesses computers, not my main job. I just do it on the side for a couple of friends. They are still on a combo of XP and Win7 and will remain so for the next several years or longer.

Win8 is still a flaming pile as for as I'm concerned. Other than a lot of testing I've already did, I want no part of it ... ever. Hoping it passes like bad food.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Modus
said by Modus:

We are going to skip it and 2012 server. I think the whole metro ui is a fad that will pass so i'll pass on it

... but... but... what if you have to administer servers on a tablet!? You'll be screwed without all of the tablet-centric improvements they've made to their latest server operating system!

Oedipus

I don't like Metro or whatever the hell they're calling it now, but I'm willing to look past it in Server 2012. I still prefer 2008 R2, but I think 2012 brings enough new and potentially useful features to the table for it to be worthwhile.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to mikefxu
SKIP!

My Dad got a new Dell with Windows 8. He came from XP. Computer is blazing fast but we had to spend lots of time on it relearning how to do the things he was always used to. The old computer worked... it was just really slow.

Windows 8 is just so different, everyone has to relearn it... computer savvy or not.

In the enterprise we are in business to do business... not to spend gobs of money and time on training on a new UI. We still rolling out Windows 7 / Office 2010 and should be done next year with that. Domains JUST been taken to 2008 R2.

A lot of it is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Our Win7 rollout is just computers reaching EOL or dying and being replaced.

Mellow
Premium
Salisbury, MD
reply to mikefxu
One thing in win8 that will have to be disabled is the ability to turn the laptop/computer into an access point, I can see that as being a huge threat to security.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to The WeaseL
said by The WeaseL:

We are finishing up our move from XP to 7, we aren't going to start that mess again for a while.

Same here.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

Ben Cisco
Embrace Intellect
Premium
join:2001-12-13
Wormhole
reply to mikefxu
Nope. Just got 7 rolled out within the last year, no way we're touching 8.

mikefxu

Titusville, FL
reply to mikefxu
On workstations we went from Office XP/2002 to 2010 1.5+ year ago. Have been deploying Windows 7 instead of XP for more than half a year now, as computers are replaced. For a month plus now SSD are standard (120gb Intel 520) versus the included hard drives. Probably would be another 3+ years before we will consider upgrading the workstation OS. I was mostly curious to see if any organizations were truly embracing Windows 8.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

reply to mikefxu
said by mikefxu:

LOL that's a good one

I installed win8 on a VM and a few people looked at it and no one wanted to use it.

The only thing anyone liked was one person liked the pinball game.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN
said by DarkLogix:

I installed win8 on a VM and a few people looked at it and no one wanted to use it.

I felt the same way when I ran the preview in VM. Without a touch screen, the new UI is just a bad joke. But once you put a normal start menu on it, it turns into what you would expect from Win7 SP2. The new "refresh" recovery option is rather nice, and so far my attempts to intentionally break it have failed. That feature alone might be worth the current upgrade price for consumers, though I'm not sure it would justify the full price in February.
--
Intel i7-2600k /ASRock P67 Extreme4 /4x 4Gb G.Skill /2x Intel 510 series 250Gb SSD /3x WD20EADS 2TB /2x PNY GTX 260 /Silverstone 850W /Custom water cooler /Antec Twelve-Hundred

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to mikefxu
I can't see any benefits in a business environment. I can see a crap load of retraining ($$$). The lack of a Start menu, and that stupid interface is just plain nuts.

Don't even start with 3rd party 'Start Menu' apps. Whay should I pay extra for a feature I used to have? And I don't want to put all my apps through anoher round of compatibility tests with my LOB applications.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to Camelot One
Well we have SA so there wouldn't be a cost to upgrade beyond what is paid anyway.

I even installed the GA version on a vm, it was less liked, pinball was gone.
--
»Death Star Petition

Mellow
Premium
Salisbury, MD
reply to mikefxu
Only issue I have had so far Apps wise is an older Access database that I have to run with Admin rights for it to work right with MAPI. Any of the other old apps run fine with XP SP3 Compatibility turned on.