MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to slajoh01

MVM

to slajoh01

Re: Linux Live CD question

Sounds like the distro isn't made to be user-friendly or lacks an NTFS driver. Why not try a different distro, as there's a zillion to choose from which do offer this?

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· ux-based
slajoh01
join:2005-04-23

slajoh01

Is there anyway to try something at least to try it?
I would like to keep this distro.
uteck
join:2009-12-30
Elgin, IL

uteck

You could try mounting the windows drive from the command line;
this link has the steps needed to mount a NTFS formated drive.
»www.cyberciti.biz/faq/mo ··· u-linux/

Looking at the page for the distro you are using, they may not have included the NTFS or NTFS-3g driver so the commands may not work.

You may want to look into making a bootable USB version of the disk that has a persistent partition so you can save changes that way you can make a script to run the command and not type them in each time, but that does remove the security of the system by allowing cookies and any malware to be saved.
slajoh01

slajoh01

Yepp, you are correct, so I will not even use a USB stick.
I will just try the commands and see what happens from the DVD.

Thanks

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Rexter

Lps is designed to be a strictly non persistent live distro. This insures no malicious activity can survive a shutdown/ restart. This is by design.

You can use web-based cloud storage, to import/export documents. Another way you could go is to run it in a vm where drag and drop is supported to move docs in and out of the environment.
slajoh01

1 edit

slajoh01

Well, I tried the steps in that link, but no luck. I really love this LPS. I really do. Maybe I will just do that is to have a cloud based storage option.

BY the way - whats a really good lightweight free VM solution for running this on a Windows 7 machine which does not suck or drain my CPU usage or keep it down to a minimum?
Thanks again to all.

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Rexter

said by slajoh01:

whats a really good lightweight free VM solution for running this on a Windows 7 machine which does not suck or drain my CPU usage or keep it down to a minimum?

Both VMware Player, and Virtualbox will do the trick. I would configure it with an ISO image optical drive, no HD, and about 512MB ram. That should be plenty. If you want it to be more secure, link to the real optical drive, and use the actual CD, but your performance will be much better with an ISO image.