uniqs
share rss forum feed

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Mele20

Re: [WIN8] How do I make WU obey my settings and keep history?

Click for full size
My Settings for Windows Update

Different Update Options
Click for full size
I don't make changes from this screen
I noticed something about Windows Update that should be mentioned. I will also point out that the same behavior exists in Windows 7.

When you first install Windows 8, you are asked a question during the install process how you want to setup Windows Update. I don't have all the options here, but the one I selected was "Don't Setup Windows Update".

Once everything was installed, I went ahead and "configured" Windows Update for my needs. The very first time you open the screen, there is an option at the bottom that says something like "Get Updates for Microsoft Products" (or something close to that).
I'll get to that option in just a bit.

If you recall back to Windows XP, there was "Microsoft Update" and "Windows Update". Microsoft Update gave you updates for Office, SQL Server, and other Microsoft Products. Windows Update just gave you the updates for Windows.

The same options exist in both Windows 7 and 8, its just worded a little differently.

However, the important thing here is this. BEFORE I went and installed that, I wanted to setup the settings for Windows update. I set them as shown in the first picture. The options are shown in the 2nd picture.

Now, when I went and clicked on the link to add "Microsoft Update", it caused Internet Explorer (desktop version) to load, and take me to a web page where I could enable this feature. I don't have a screen shot of that, but I had to agree to some terms or something.

Once it was "installed", my system began a scan to figure out what updates I was missing.

However the other thing it did was to change my update option from "Never check for updates (not recommended)" to "Install updates automatically (recommended)". I had to go back to that screen and set it back to what I'm showing above.

I point this out as you probably did set this up as you wanted. However, if you did go in and setup Microsoft Update, Windows probably changed it back on you, and you will have to go back in and set it back.

Finally, I do want to point out that any changes like this I make, I do not do them from my third screen posted above. I do everything from inside control panel directly.

Hope the helps!

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:6
Click for full size
said by plencnerb:

Once everything was installed, I went ahead and "configured" Windows Update for my needs. The very first time you open the screen, there is an option at the bottom that says something like "Get Updates for Microsoft Products" (or something close to that).

If you recall back to Windows XP, there was "Microsoft Update" and "Windows Update". Microsoft Update gave you updates for Office, SQL Server, and other Microsoft Products. Windows Update just gave you the updates for Windows.

The same options exist in both Windows 7 and 8, its just worded a little differently.

Now, when I went and clicked on the link to add "Microsoft Update", it caused Internet Explorer (desktop version) to load, and take me to a web page where I could enable this feature. I don't have a screen shot of that, but I had to agree to some terms or something.

Once it was "installed", my system began a scan to figure out what updates I was missing.

However the other thing it did was to change my update option from "Never check for updates (not recommended)" to "Install updates automatically (recommended)". I had to go back to that screen and set it back to what I'm showing above.
--Brian

Yes, I continued to use Microsoft Update on XP even though I stopped using WU and got security patches from MS Download Center. I have Word 2002 as part of Works Suite 2006 on the XP computer so I got all Office XP updates and security patches from Office Update (it changed from Microsoft Update to Office Update several years ago).

When I clicked on that "get updates for Microsoft products" at the bottom of the WU screen...I was SOOO PUZZLED. I didn't get anything like you did. Instead, IE 10 was called and opened to a page FOR WINDOWS 7! It told me to use the START MENU to get all updates from WU! There is no Start menu on Windows 8. I have noticed that ALL Microsoft products are updated through WU. My settings are to receive WINDOWS UPDATES ONLY but I am getting updates for other Microsoft Products through WU.

This is the second indication in one day now that Dell may be installing bad images of Win 8 Pro. I have a screwed up System Restore and Microsoft has been saying to others with this problem that the Windows 8 image is bad and now I get other MS product updates via WU even though that is turned OFF for me in the settings and I get a Windows 7 link when I try to get more information. I wonder what else I am going to find wrong with this Dell image. I can use the USB key Dell sent and reinstall Windows 8 Pro but while that is not the factory installed image it is a Dell image so the question becomes is that image ok or may it also be screwed up? Or is it actually that Microsoft techs are misinforming users and the problems are Windows 8 problems not a bad installation of Windows 8?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
I'll make this a quick reply due to the time difference.

What I will say is that at some point today, I'll again swap hard drives, and re-install Windows 8 Pro x64. In doing so, I'll take some screen captures of this part of my process, so you (and of course everyone else) can see what is going on.

As most people should know by now, I'm good with being detailed when it comes to troubleshooting an issue!

So, I'll do that later, and post back with what I find out as far as the screens that come up, and the process I go through at this point. Off the top of my head, I don't recall seeing any mention of "Windows 7" or the "Start button" like you have shown above. However, since I've done this so many times, I probably may not have even noticed, and just clicked the button.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail