how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mac25

join:2008-03-09
Kiln, MS

[Home Network] static ip at home and what to do with it

got a static ip with our dsl package years back and have never made use of it, I now have a home server setup for ota tv recordings, file storage [ data, pictures, videos ] and pc backups, I would like to have access to it from outside our home when visiting family and friends, we have a private home network setup that works well, I am using the 2 wire 2701hg-b modem and have it password protected and use wpa2-psk for wireless, the server is password protected, all local pc's are win 8 pro, and the server as well.

when setting static ip address's does the modem or the home server get the static ip address ?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by Mac25:

when setting static ip address's does the modem or the home server get the static ip address ?

Are you asking about the public IP address, or setting up the LAN?

AFAIK, unless you have a routed /29, five usable IP addresses, the public static IP address would go to the modem. Setting up a LAN device as a server requires a statically assigned private IP address.

I have both; static public IP address on the modem/gateway, and static private IP address on the LAN devices.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Mac25

Kiln, MS
reply to Mac25

the static ip IS assigned to our modem, guess I should have looked before asking, that would make it a public ip.

so if I set all fixed ip address's on the local pc's could I get access to the server by its fixed ip address ?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by Mac25:

the static ip IS assigned to our modem, guess I should have looked before asking, that would make it a public ip.

so if I set all fixed ip address's on the local pc's could I get access to the server by its fixed ip address ?

I assume you have a single static public IP address (in geek talk, a "/32")? I am not familiar with the legacy Bellsouth region (AT&T Southeast), having been a legacy SBC customer (AT&T West). Nor am I familiar with AT&T static IP addresses (at the time I signed up, single static IP addresses were not offered; just for-pay routed /29s, which have eight IP addresses, of which only five can be used).

I am no longer with AT&T, and my new ISP, Sonic.net, LLC does offer single static IP addresses (listed as, "/32" on my bill; but free). So I can explain how I set it up; but you would have to consider that AT&T might not work exactly the same way.

I currently maintain Internet on my own, and a relative's residences. Two public static IP addresses, one for each residence. Collectively, out of 173.228.x.x. No LAN connected device gets either; they are assigned to the CPE ("Customer Premises Equipment"). Each residence has NAT in effect. The computers behind 173.228.19.x get IP addresses from the 192.168.102.0/24 pool; the computers behind 173,228.7.x get IP addresses from the 192.168.42.0/24 pool.

To access a server at either residence requires a way to pass unsolicited TCP/IP traffic from 173.228.x.x to 192.168.x.x.

I will give you some cogitation time, now, because I think you are pretty new to this, and need to absorb what I have presented so far, and ask more questions.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Mac25

Kiln, MS
reply to Mac25

new for sure, maybe another method, easy and secure way to access my home server from the internet ?

free or pay for application I can install on the server for remote log on access, thoughts ?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to Mac25

said by Mac25:

got a static ip with our dsl package years back and have never made use of it, I now have a home server setup for ota tv recordings, file storage [ data, pictures, videos ] and pc backups, I would like to have access to it from outside our home when visiting family and friends, we have a private home network setup that works well, I am using the 2 wire 2701hg-b modem and have it password protected and use wpa2-psk for wireless, the server is password protected, all local pc's are win 8 pro, and the server as well.

Which device gets the public static IP address depends on how you have your 2wire "modem" setup. By default. the 2wire's WAN interface will get the public IP address, and you will probably need to statically assign your server a local (192.168.1.x) IP address and do port forwarding in the 2wire for any applications that require internet visibility.

Alternately, you can use the 2wire's DMZ+ mode to also assign the server the public IP address. If you do that, the server will be totally exposed to the internet, and it will depend on its own internal firewall for protection.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

chong67

join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA
reply to Mac25

Use logmein. This is the easiest way. I do that from my Android phone to my home PC too.

No static WAN IP Is no biggie these days. I use my router to map my dynamic IP to my domain name. Tomato got 10 services you can choose from.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
reply to Mac25

said by Mac25:

new for sure, maybe another method, easy and secure way to access my home server from the internet ?

free or pay for application I can install on the server for remote log on access, thoughts ?

If the server and client machines are all Windows, then a few copies of free TeamViewer are all you need.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to Mac25

One thing you don't mention is which DSL package you have?

Remember a server uses the the Upload side of things so very limited capability for video. You might pull off SD quality stream on 6mps DSL, possibly on a 3mbs, but 380kbs would be stretching it real thin unless pretty highly compressed.

HD would be plain impossible.
--

Mac25

Kiln, MS

this is a win 8 pro w media center I have setup for ota recordings connected to 50" Panasonic plasma, pictures, videos, music. documents and image folder for local pc network backup and restore service using storage spaces on mirrored hd's, it has been tested at home and working just as I want it, no other software installed and not used for streaming BD content.

I have no need to watch movies, recorded tv or videos from it at off site locations.

I would like access to it for viewing documents, pictures, scheduling recordings, and maybe music files if they will play.

we have dsl 6.0 service at home and will on dsl 6.0 service offsite.

at home we use windows remote desktop connection and all accounts are pw protected.

tech support confirmed the static ip is private and on the modem, the server and local pc's and all appliances are all fixed ip's as well.

have used teamviewer before to fix brothers pc but thought it was sluggish and low quality video feed.

for offsite my main concern is security, good video resolution, fairly quick to respond, dependable, and fairly simple.

Thanks

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

3 edits

OK you didn't really make that clear and was just making the point you seemed to be interested in streaming the OTA video elsewhere, and that is very iffy on DSL.

Yes remote control, pix and docs, that should all work just fine.

And conversely you wanted to remotely stream or upload that you could do at your full service speed... again server side seeing it as Download side of the connection.
--