alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

2 edits

alkizmo to Lurch77

to Lurch77

Re: Liquid Cooled LED Bulbs

said by Lurch77:

On the manufacturers website, in the article I linked, and in one of my earlier posts here, it says they can be used in any position.
»www.switchlightingco.com ··· ecs.html

Yes but then the water cooling doesn't work. The hot part of the bulb is at the top, so the water gets hot near that area, but doesn't cycle with cold water, as the cold water is already at the bottom.
Convection only works if heat is generated at the bottom for it to move up and push down the cooler water.

Anyway, LEDs are still way way way way overpriced. They are only worth it for dimmable purposes or ON/OFF stuff like motion sensors.

20$ LED 12,5W = 60W equivalent
2.50$ CFL 13W = 60W equivalent

Yeah... overpriced LED is overpriced.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

According to them, the liquid silicone will circulate by convection in any orientation. I can only take their word for it, since the product has not been on the market long enough to test longevity. I'm tempted to buy one and test it out myself.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by Lurch77:

On the manufacturers website, in the article I linked, and in one of my earlier posts here, it says they can be used in any position.
»www.switchlightingco.com ··· ecs.html

Yes but then the water cooling doesn't work. The hot part of the bulb is at the top, so the water gets hot near that area, but doesn't cycle with cold water, as the cold water is already at the bottom.
Convection only works if heat is generated at the bottom for it to move up and push down the cooler water.

Anyway, LEDs are still way way way way overpriced. They are only worth it for dimmable purposes or ON/OFF stuff like motion sensors.

20$ LED 12,5W = 60W equivalent
2.50$ CFL 13W = 60W equivalent

Yeah... overpriced LED is overpriced.

$12.97 for a 12.5w 60w equivalent LED bulb here. The part you're discounting is cold use and dimming operations where CFL is sub-par at best. There are valid reason to use a mixture of incandescent, CFL, and LED's in a typical household.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Draiman:

$12.97 for a 12.5w 60w equivalent LED bulb here. The part you're discounting is cold use and dimming operations where CFL is sub-par at best. There are valid reason to use a mixture of incandescent, CFL, and LED's in a typical household.

I didnt discount either things.
quote:
. They are only worth it for dimmable purposes or ON/OFF stuff like motion sensors
By ON/OFF stuff means not burning out from constantly turning on/off and that they are full bright for motion sensors.

I just find them overrated for their price and their high risk long amortization time when it comes to 100W equivalent bulbs (for motion sensor lights). They'd have to not break for several years before breaking even, and then several more years to have SAVED you enough money to justify the risk.

I'd use them for dimmable lamps since those are typically 40W equivalent or less, so they cost less. I could leave the lamps on 24/7 for mood lighting without worrying about being wasteful. However, my wife hates their color vs. glowing filament.

Anything else than dimmable lamps or motion sensor can use CFL for the same electricity cost and no investment.