All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MrC39
join:2012-12-09

MrC39

[INTERNET] Cancellation

I currently have Cogeco Internet and TV services. I have been trying to cancel my Internet for a while now, I have been told I am under contract, others say they want a cancellation notice of 30 days etc. I've been a customer for about 3 years and I've just had enough of the poor attitudes from Cogeco agents, poor service, poor tech support, and now I am being told I am reaching my cap limit???? I can't ever recall this happening before in all the time I have been a customer, so why now? My usage habits haven't changed, was my package changed without my consent? Either way this is the final straw, not one person in sales/customer service/tech care about the issues or are even interested in trying to fix it. Just about a month ago I called to inquire about cancelling internet & TV and I was told then that if I was keeping TV or Internet services there would be no notice required for the service I wanted to cancel but if I was to cancel both I would have to give 30 days notice, was this a lie? In the end I will also be cancelling TV services but not before I explore and try other options for my media entertainment needs, so for now it's just the Internet I want to move to a new provider. I feel like this has turned into a nasty bitter divorce rather than a nice clean mutual break.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

... so you've been trying to cancel your account for a month and you were told a 30 day notice is required, yet you didn't give them that notice when you called 30 days ago?

Cogeco's site indicates that a contract is in effect during a promotional period, yet you wrote that you've been a customer for 3 years... have you recently acquired a promotional package?

We may be missing some information here as what you've written doesn't seem to jive with what's written on Cogeco's web page. If anyone can fill in the gaps I'd be interested to know more about this contract business.
MrC39
join:2012-12-09

MrC39

I've been a customer for about 3 years, started with just internet & and then added Cable Tv when I could no longer have a line of sight for my satellite dish after I moved. I have never been under any contract for any bundle or special pricing the only thing I get is the 2 services discount which I am well aware (and was informed during my inquiry call a month ago) will be gone once I cancel the internet. The reason I didn't cancel when I inquired about this about a month ago was because I was informed if I kept Cable TV there would be no requirement of a notice to give for Internet. At that time I wasn't 100% sure of all my options or which direction I wanted to go. Now I know what I want to do and I am being told I have give 30 days notice now even though I would be keeping the TV services for a while longer. Now I did some reading on the Cogeco website and I did come across the terms and conditions "17. Subject to the qualification set out in section 18 below or unless the Agreement is
concluded for a defined term, the Customer may at any time, upon at least thirty (30)
days’ prior notice to COGECO, cancel this Agreement or any Service provided under the
Agreement. Applicable charges shall continue to apply until the thirty (30) days have
elapsed or, as the case may be, until the expiration of the term provided for in the
Agreement. If the Agreement is concluded for a defined term, and unless COGECO is
otherwise notified by the Customer, the Agreement shall automatically renew at the
expiration of the defined term at the regular rates then in effect for the Services, and may
thereafter be terminated in accordance with the terms set out at the beginning of this
section. The Customer shall remain liable for the payment of all outstanding balances
accrued up to the date of termination or expiration.
18. In the event the Customer subscribed to a Service as part of a promotion (“Promotion”)
offered by COGECO whereby the Customer enjoys lower rates than would have been the
case without such Promotion, this Agreement shall then be for a term of at least the
minimum contract period required by the Promotion (the “Promotion Period”). Should the
Customer cancel a Service before the expiry of the Promotion Period, the Customer shall
pay COGECO the penalties indicated in the Promotion and in the Agreement, if
applicable. The regular rates then in effect for the Services shall apply at the end of the
Promotion. Following the expiry of the Promotion Period, the Customer may also
terminate the Agreement or cancel the Service at any time upon at least thirty (30) days’
prior notice to COGECO."
I guess this is the grey area part "Subject to the qualification set out in section 18 below or unless the Agreement is
concluded for a defined term", what classifies a defined term? And why was I told I didn't need a 30 day cancellation date, about a month ago and now I do? I was all set to make a switch and now this has a thrown a monkey wrench into the timing.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Yea, that's the part I saw too. The promotion period stuff sounds reasonable but not if it's used against people that don't realize they're in a contract...

I'd get more details on this contract they say you're under and post the details here. I've never heard of Cogeco pulling any contract shenanigans but maybe they've changed a policy or two?

CogecoAndrew
join:2012-10-03
Burlington, ON

CogecoAndrew to MrC39

to MrC39
Hi MrC39 If you want I can look into your situation for you Just PM your acct info. Thanks

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to MrC39

Premium Member

to MrC39
said by MrC39:

And why was I told I didn't need a 30 day cancellation date, about a month ago and now I do? I was all set to make a switch and now this has a thrown a monkey wrench into the timing.

It's really unfortunate that we have a regulator that is so gutless and corrupted that they allow a company to pull off this crap. But it is what it is.

The one thing you need to ask yourself is, is it worth it to wrestle with Cogeco over this? Their policies are meant to serve one thing and one thing only, shareholder value. That crap they pulled on you and others is meant to thwart your attempts to uncouple yourself from their gouging. That you are here questioning what to do is "mission accomplished".

Since they insist on the 30 days even though you were planning on remaining a customer, I suggest you give 30 days notice for all services, and blow them off for the horrible company they are.

Give Shaw Direct a call. You'll be shocked how much better TV you can get for far less money, and damn near any indie internet provider is going to give way better service and better pricing/caps that Cogeco. You'll save money hand over fist and enjoy getting your [less] money's worth.

Mike