Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

Newsgroups the old school way

Who here has done this by going through headers ? I am curious how many people here have actually done it.

I use to do it as my main way even when newzbin 1 was around and I knew it. Don't like change. One day I figured out how much easier .nzb files made it and was hooked. Now don't get me wrong that didn't make me forget how to user newsgroup headers! Those were some fun times.

If you ask me all this will do is making newsgroup go more underground.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Who here was on Usenet back in the late 80s?
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Premium
Kenner, LA
said by darcilicious:

What so special about the 1980s ?

Kosh
We are all Kosh
Premium
join:2005-11-16
Z'ha'dum
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to 90115534
I've used newsgroups since the Forte Agent days, so I know the drill. Still wouldn't want to pull headers on a.b.boneless tho.
--
"I'm just a human being trying to make it in a world that is very rapidly losing its understanding of being human." - John Trudell

Premium
Kenner, LA
said by Kosh:

I've used newsgroups since the Forte Agent days, so I know the drill. Still wouldn't want to pull headers on a.b.boneless tho.

Why not ? It is not that bad.

Though that is what newsleecher supersearch is for!

Anon00
Premium
join:2001-09-25
USA
kudos:1
said by 90115534:

said by Kosh:

Why not ? It is not that bad.

Though that is what newsleecher supersearch is for!

I wonder how hard it is to setup my own Newznab server...
--
"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." - Friedrich Nietzsche
"'It's the law' is just an excuse for the unintelligent and unimaginative to remain that way" - Me

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to 90115534
When I started using usenet (late 90s) it was all done via header download. I remember first seeing nzb's on an IRC scene channel. Then about a year after that they started getting their own index websites. It took me a while to get used to them and make the transition, but as nzbs got more popular they got better and better.

It's going to be tough going backwards. Especially now that certain groups have started modifying the name of their posts as not to easily get picked up dmca scavengers.

I guess its like torrents. You'll have usable private trackers out there, but the public ones are just floating with lawsuits waiting to happen.

captnhook

join:2001-02-20
NY

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Premium
Kenner, LA
reply to 90115534
My sense is telling me something.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to 90115534
I was using newsgroups when I had to use a monkey and a chisel in a box to pound out the movie on a rock that I was downloading. That's a Flintstones reference for you young folks
--
#4 Orange had a ho-hummer against Monmouth. 7 players in double-figures led by C-W and Cooney with 15. C-W 3rd best assists in a single game @ 16. Next up on 12/15 Canisius.

TFArchive
Premium
join:2003-02-03
Gloucester, ON
reply to 90115534
Newsgroups back in the Agent days were rough, combining posts and no par2 files, only pars if you're lucky, also no yenc so everything was horribly oversized. But that was the golden age as it was also still used for discussions and not just spam and piracy.

That being said if all the index sites were gone all the content would still be online just a little harder to find. Might also make it harder for DMCA take-downs if you have to search 100,000 groups for posts and gather the posts manually.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
said by TFArchive:

That being said if all the index sites were gone all the content would still be online just a little harder to find. Might also make it harder for DMCA take-downs if you have to search 100,000 groups for posts and gather the posts manually.

Why wouldn't such groups just build their own indexers? It's obviously not that hard to do... (I've asked this / pointed it out before -- the genie is basically out of the bottle, folks).
--
♬ Music is life ♬

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
reply to 90115534
I've done it since the 90's. Ahhh the 56k modem days, dedicated phone line for Internet, and downloading 4GB of MAME ROMs for a week straight. The good ole days...

People don't realize that you don't have to really go that far to download all the headers. I mean use the raw search sites that have already done most of that for you. Sites like binsearch allow you to browse a newsgroup like you would with headers in Newsbin Pro. That and it tells you what is in the rar file. Site like Matrix made people lazy I guess. It isn't hard to find what you want with some ingenuity and common sense.

Ryno
The Wanderer
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Danielsville, PA
reply to 90115534
Almost feel like I'm missing something. Why wouldn't you go through the headers

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
said by Ryno:

Because it's possible to have a totally automated setup for downloads you know you're going to want, even in advance of them being available.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

jimboe

join:2000-08-14
New York
reply to sandman_1
said by sandman_1:

.. Sites like binsearch allow you to browse a newsgroup like you would with headers in Newsbin Pro. That and it tells you what is in the rar file. ..

don't think binsearch digs into rar files

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Ryno
said by Ryno:

One of the nice things about nzb's was you could bookmark index pages for certain content. IE HD tv shows and you would see all the most recent stuff posted. So you always see the new stuff.

grabbing headers or doing rar searches means you have to know its there in the first place (which only takes a little more effort, but still more effort).

sandman_1

reply to jimboe
Yep it does. It won't do a search in the contents of the rar like Mysterbin did but you can inspect the rar from a search, just click on "collection" and it will show ya whats in the rar.

For example, »www.binsearch.info/?b=oscars.red···&max=250

the box right below "Results"

jimboe

New York
thats just showing us the individual rar files which makeup an entire "collection", or better yet, a complete rar archive. But, not what's inside the rar (archive). Cant see the *.mkv file within..

I think were just hung up on terminology but in agreement.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Internet wasn't available in my area until 1992. That's when we got it. Web sites weren't such a big thing back then and the search engine technology wasn't like it is today, so Newsgroups were it.

That and IRC.

Unfortunately, the bulk of you have to get cut off so the rest of us can do what we've been doing for 20 years now.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

jarablue
Always be true to yourself

join:2001-06-11
Boxborough, MA
reply to 90115534
Methinks IRC is going to get a good amount of new traffic. Aren't there newsgroups that are for strictly nzb files?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Kosh
OMG I remember using Agent... it worked really well for years,pulling headers everyday....

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to 90115534
A few buddies of mine are talking about this at work. We're probably going to go more underground now and set up our own indexer. We're going to look into a private network and take advantage of the FIOS we have to utilize their bandwidth.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

sandman_1

reply to jimboe
Jimboe, Jimboe, gotta get your eyes checked bud

Joking aside, look more closely at the screen shot BTW, Binsearch shows the largest file in archive which is usually the video file such as mkv.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Archivis
said by Archivis:

said by darcilicious:

Internet wasn't available in my area until 1992.

Back in the 80s, there was this thing called UUCP that predated NNTP -- so a lot of us getting Usenet didn't have "Internet" either
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
The best I did was dial into local machines with a 2400 baud modem from 1988-1992.

jimboe

New York

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Back in the 80s, there was this thing called UUCP that predated NNTP -- so a lot of us getting Usenet didn't have "Internet" either

hah hah ha, beautiful, just beautiful

jimboe

New York
reply to sandman_1
sandman,

Seems I should get my prescription checked, ha!

*btw: PM'd u..

jimboe

New York
reply to sandman_1
sandman,

Seems I should get my prescription checked, ha!

*btw: PM'd u..

mythology
Premium
join:2002-10-16
Seneca, SC

1 edit
reply to 90115534
vcdq + binsearch.

Not sure if people are aware of this but Newsleecher has a feature called Supersearch. Type in what you are looking for and tada. The only thing I`ll miss from NZBmatrix is the comments BUT vcdq has a pretty decent comment section. You just have to find the files yourself.