90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned) to mythology

to mythology
said by mythology:

vcdq + binsearch.

Not sure if people are aware of this but Newsleecher has a feature called Supersearch. Type in what you are looking for and tada. The only thing I`ll miss from NZBmatrix is the comments BUT vcdq has a pretty decent comment section. You just have to find the files yourself.

I use newsleecher supersearch as well because I get it for free

Sorry can't say how.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

67845017 (banned) to darcilicious

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

said by Exodus:

said by darcilicious:

Who here was on Usenet back in the late 80s?

Internet wasn't available in my area until 1992.

Back in the 80s, there was this thing called UUCP that predated NNTP -- so a lot of us getting Usenet didn't have "Internet" either

That was me back then--1989. uuencode/uudecode. Pain in the neck.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to darcilicious

to darcilicious
I found USENET posts of mine from 1994. Back when I had a CompuServe numerical email address.
synchron
join:2002-12-31
Simi Valley, CA

synchron to 67845017

to 67845017
said by 67845017:

Back in the late eighties, I remember using the company's 2400 modem that was connected to a VAX/VMS system. I could use my AT286 PC DOS machine and send commands to retrieve pages (in my email account) of text coming from something new back then: the worldwide web.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 edit

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by synchron:

said by 67845017:

Back in the late eighties, I remember using the company's 2400 modem that was connected to a VAX/VMS system. I could use my AT286 PC DOS machine and send commands to retrieve pages (in my email account) of text coming from something new back then: the worldwide web.

Either you mean the "internet" (for the late 80s) or you mean the early 90s for the web...

Babar
Premium Member
join:2001-05-09
Washington

1 recommendation

Babar to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

...Back when I had a CompuServe numerical email address.

OMG - the instant I read that my CompuServe number flashed through my brain - with the comma in the right place and everything!

Ouch!

synchron
join:2002-12-31
Simi Valley, CA

synchron to darcilicious

to darcilicious
OK, might have been early 90's but definitely prior to Windows 2 and 3.1. Back then, i was having much more fun with my Atari ST and connecting to text based midi/music newsgroups via GEnie BBS.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

1 edit

darcilicious

Premium Member

I can't say much about the timeline wrt to Windows as I was a SunOS and VAX/VMS girl back then

Bichon
MVM
join:2002-10-10
Freehold, NJ

Bichon to Bob4

MVM

to Bob4
I found USENET posts of mine from 1984, just by doing a Google search of my old UUCP address. Back in those days, one didn't sign up with an NSP - instead one would install software (we used B news) on a Unix server and be pushed copies of every single post from their upstream provider. NNTP hadn't been invented yet; to participate in USENET one would login to a server that had the feed, and use newsreader software like "rn" to read and post. When a colleague and I first put up USENET at our site, it was possible to download an entire newsfeed of everything that was posted that day with a 1200 baud modem. By 1986, news volume had increased to the point where we needed to install a high-end Telebit Trailblazer modem capable of speeds of up to 18.4 kilobits/sec. running nearly 24 hours a day to get it all.

No binaries at all in those days; that didn't happen until the alt.* newsgroups came around in 1987-88.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Those were the days! I didn't get on board until late 86 or early 87 when a co-worker said, hey, "enter 'rrn' sometime" and opened up a whole new world for me.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

Bob4

Back before web forums killed newsgroups.