uniqs
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

Create bootable flash drive with ISO of firewall software

There are probably other methods, but Rufus (»rufus.akeo.ie/ ) seems to be a great little program. I just tried loading the ISO of Astaro Security Gateway onto a 2 GB pen drive and the installer started up properly when I rebooted the PC. I haven't tried other ISO's, but I would assume that pfSense, etc. will also work fine.

Rufus can also create bootable flash drives with MS-DOS and FreeDOS (useful for BIOS flashing and other tasks). The price (free) is certainly right.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

Interesting. I've really fallen in love with yumi lately, as it can install multiple bootable images onto a single USB stick. I have a 16GB Patriot in my pocket that can currently be used to install Ubuntu, Ubuntu server, Windows (Vista, 7 and 2008R2, thanks to another handy tool, imagex), as well as some other bootable tools including the Ultimate Boot CD, Parted Magic, memtestx86+, acronis antimalware, OCZ firmware updater, etc.

My only beef with yumi is that I haven't been able to UEFI boot it, but I have yet to see another multi-boot tool like it.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

Thanks for the tip regarding yumi; I haven't tried it, but I will look into it when I get a chance.