how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AngryDallas

join:2010-12-06
Dallas, TX

I.P. Address doesn't change on UVerse?

When I had AT&T DSL Elite, before switching to UVerse 3 days ago, if I was downloading a multi part file from a one click host and it wanted me to wait between downloads, I could unplug the DSL modem, wait a couple of minutes, plug it back in and get a new I.P. address and continue with downloading the next file without waiting.

It doesn't work with UVerse.

Is there any way to unplug the UVerse modem and plug it back in and get a new I.P. Address?

dbeatson
Premium
join:2001-02-22
Clover, SC

Nope, the only way to get a new IP is to have a tech come out and swap out your gateway.
--
»www.w4lny.com

AngryDallas

join:2010-12-06
Dallas, TX

Well, that sucks!

I want my DSL back!

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
kudos:1
reply to AngryDallas

Guess you'll have to stop doing things to get yourself banned then . Or use a proxy...

guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Antioch, CA

1 edit
reply to dbeatson

Actually after about three weeks of testing I can now attest that you can get a new IP "IF" you leave the gateway off for more than 2-3 weeks. Albeit mine changed from 140.134 to 140.51. Nothing super drastic so if your IP range has been banned well then you are still outta luck.

Mangix

join:2012-02-16
united state
reply to AngryDallas

Just use a proxy. I have several ssh-based ones set up so if I need a different IP, I just use those.

AnonMan

@comcast.net
reply to AngryDallas

Best way is to log into your modem, see when the IP is set to renew and make sure to have it unplugged for a few hours during that window it would normally renew.

I have also had times when a factory reset has given me a new IP, but seems to be hit or miss.

Most places are now more starting to give semi static IP's because the whole past of them not being was stupid anyway. If you're a paying customer you need an IP, no point rotating them. How many people actually unplug they modem to release the IP? maybe 1% or less? Plus giving the same one makes it easier on logs and getting you popped for DMCA notice for any torrents you may download and get caught lol.

Frodo

join:2006-05-05

said by AnonMan :

Best way is to log into your modem, see when the IP is set to renew and make sure to have it unplugged for a few hours during that window it would normally renew.

In my 3600 modem, there is a "Link Tree" under the diagnostics tab. In that tree is an entry \-->dhcp0 is UP. Clicking on dhcp0, I see something like this:
DHCP LEASE:             
  ISSUED ADDR:           aa.b.ccc.ddd
  ACQUIRED:              Fri Dec  7 16:06:18 CST 2012 (past)
  RENEW:                 Fri Dec 14 16:06:18 CST 2012 +108.3 hours
  REBIND:                Wed Dec 19 22:06:18 CST 2012 +234.3 hours
  EXPIRES:               Fri Dec 21 16:06:18 CST 2012 +11.57 days

If I understand this correctly, the renewal is scheduled on 12/14 but, even if I delayed renewing the IP, by disconnecting the modem, I would still have to wait until the expiration, 12/21 before I would get a different IP?

The way out of that is to issue a DHCP release. But, I don't see a DHCP release button on the modem.

As far as I'm concerned, it is more than just a torrent issue. It is advertising networks whose business is to mind my business that I think about. Static IP addresses (or static like addresses) are beginning to be viewed as PII (Personally identifiable information).
»healthprivacy.blogspot.com/2011/···ata.html

I have to say with this Uverse, that I do not like the lengthy DHCP leases along with no DHCP release function available in the modem.

bennor
Premium
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT
reply to AngryDallas

said by AngryDallas:

I want my DSL back!

Why? My AT&T DSL IP address remained the same for many years (more than 6 years) even though I would turn off the DSL Speedstream 4100 modem from time to time.

For those with the AT&T U-verse 2Wire 3600HGV gateway/router, there is the option to Reset IP and Reset Broadband on the router's Settings --> Diagnostics --> Reset administration page.

UverseTech

join:2012-08-04
reply to AngryDallas

Not sure if anyone suggested this but use the tor browse and it will login from a diff ip by its very nature

Frodo

join:2006-05-05
reply to bennor

said by bennor:

Why? My AT&T DSL IP address remained the same for many years (more than 6 years) even though I would turn off the DSL Speedstream 4100 modem from time to time.

Not with my service. I got a new IP every time I turned the modem off for more than a few minutes. And I would turn it off each night. I happen to have those IPs logged since I had a service running that would update dyndns.
said by bennor:

For those with the AT&T U-verse 2Wire 3600HGV gateway/router, there is the option to Reset IP and Reset Broadband on the router's Settings --> Diagnostics --> Reset administration page.

I've seen those options. However, they don't seem to issue a DHCP release as part of the reset. Hence, we get the same IP right back after the reset.

dave006

join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL
reply to UverseTech

said by UverseTech:

Not sure if anyone suggested this but use the tor browse and it will login from a diff ip by its very nature

Correct the Tor brower tool is very helpful in providing you with an anonymous connection to the internet.

»www.torproject.org/projects/torb···.html.en

Note: Remember that Tor anonymizes the origin of your traffic, and it encrypts everything inside the Tor network, but it can't encrypt your traffic between the Tor network and its final destination. If you are communicating sensitive information, you should use as much care as you would on the normal scary Internet — use HTTPS or other end-to-end encryption and authentication.

It comes in several configurations and supports multiple OS systems.

Dave

AnonMan

@comcast.net

This is not limited to just U-Verse.

My comcast is the same way, same IP for months and months. The only thing is with comcast I can use my own router as modem bridges and thus change my router mac to get a new IP.

AT&T forces you to use that box that is all locked down...

Secyurityet

join:2012-01-07
untied state

said by AnonMan :

My comcast is the same way, same IP for months and months.

I've had the same IP on uverse for about 3 years or so...

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
kudos:1

said by Secyurityet:

said by AnonMan :

My comcast is the same way, same IP for months and months.

I've had the same IP on uverse for about 3 years or so...

Same.